Just How Important is IMDB?

stevegrider

I have heard recently that somebody wasn't terribly impressed with what they found on me on IMDB. To be honest, the only things on there for me are when someone else listed the crew of a project I was on. I do, on request, have a one page PDF that I send out with what I feel is a good representation of the scope of work I do. Between work and the rest of my life, I kind of don't have time for constant IMDB updates. Should I make time?

I have heard recently that somebody wasn't terribly impressed with what they found on me on IMDB. To be honest, the only things on there for me are when someone else listed the crew of a project I was on. I do, on request, have a one page PDF that I send out with what I feel is a good representation of the scope of work I do. Between work and the rest of my life, I kind of don't have time for constant IMDB updates. Should I make time?

I keep mine up to date after someone told me they looked me up and couldn't find much on me I think it is something you should make sure is up to date

I recently interviewed for a pretty big studio movie, my first of this budget level. The producer and director each had copies of my resume in front of them, as well as a print out of my IMDb credits. They even had questions about some of my credits on IMDb, since I started out doing 24-frame video playback and video assist before finally settling into sound (thankfully).

I am also aware that when I am refered to a job by a colleague, that production will look me up on IMDb before contacting me for a resume.

Therefore I believe, unfortunately, IMDb is one of the primary resources used by production to determine experience.

I keep mine up to date after someone told me they looked me up and couldn't find much on me I think it is something you should make sure is up to date

How do you keep it up to date please? Is it by paying them money?

I've found IMDB is a law unto itself and makes it very difficult to intervene, but then I've always declined to pay IMDB money.

Perhaps you get more privileges by paying?

It gets used extensively though as a reference point by many.

How do you keep it up to date please? Is it by paying them money?

I've found IMDB is a law unto itself and makes it very difficult to intervene, but then I've always declined to pay IMDB money.

Perhaps you get more privileges by paying?

It gets used extensively though as a reference point by many.

You do not have to pay them. Make a simple account using your name (that you are getting credits with). And you can just add your credit to different projects yourself free of charge. It will take a few days for them to process it and bam your credit is added. I have never had an issue adding a credit myself.

If there are projects that you have worked on that are on imdb but dont list your credit you can add the credit. It usually takes a few days for it to get approved/added but its pretty easy. Also have been credited for a few things that I didn't work on and have had to have them removed. I have never paid for IMDBs premium service, don't really see the need.

Edit: What Chase said

IMDB is a law unto itself, but it is also important for certain kinds of jobs so it is worth the effort. I'd recommend searching for any project you've worked on that might have gone theatrical, been broadcast or had a festival run in decent sized festivals and attaching yourself to the sound dept (via the update page). They do their research in their way but I've found that if I really did work on that show then usually that credit will turn up on my page eventually. I think there is a definite bias on IMDB towards feature fiction films and episodic TV--a feature that is just in development might be listed, while a doc that has been finished might not be until it gets into a major festival or has a broadcast. The filmmakers can help the process along, but IMDB doesn't make it easy for them. It's important to "tend" your page--I've had errors creep into mine (projects I didn't do etc) as well as being on your guard for "IMDB vandalism", where someone will try to hijack your credits and or erase all of yours (it's a good idea to keep a copy of your own so you can rebuild your page if this happens to you) for reasons of spite or whatever. They've gotten much more strict about episodic TV now--they won't list an episode until it is broadcast, and you need the episode title, series year and show number to add yourself. I've always felt like the producers we work for should be having their staff get all of their people listed with the project, but that very often does not happen so you have to do it for yourself. I've generally found the effort to be worth it.

phil p

I believe IMDB is very important for Producers today. Unfortunately it doesn't list commercial work so it isn't a clear gauge of work experience.

I work with a scripty that makes this complaint. He told me he had a producer go "it doesn't look like you worked a lot last year", when he had his best year ever. Ironically he was doing commercials that pay a lot better than indie films. Better enough that he was able to buy a house.

It's also a common misunderstanding with newbie producers that IMDB lists the film by release year. While a film may be listed while in production, they will eventually tweak that date when the film is released, so there is no easy way to figure out how many jobs you did in a given year.

It's really easy and cheap to have a personal work website. I *WISH* Apple had not killed the mac.com sites, but that was what I did with that web space. Super easy to create/update. It wouldn't get a lot of traffic, but the traffic it does get is pretty important.

Edited by johnpaul215

Anyone with a (free) account can add credits, or create a film/tv show. It usually takes at least days for edits to be processed. I think projects will go up a lot faster if you can prove they exist (link to a news article or something).

I'm not sure anyone knows for sure, but I have heard people say that established accounts get their edits looked at faster. That's probably because they require less checking. I think they have gotten to scrutinize submissions a bit more. They were flooded with tons of CL-types that wanted some sense of legitimacy to the project. I was also told by a producer that most shorts won't be listed until they are showing in a film fest or something and there is an online link to prove they exist. Otherwise there is no reason I could not make a "short" every weekend and have a TON of credits on no time.

I would also decide what credits you want on there. Having a bunch of shorts listed doesn't always show good work experience.

I'd like a few things taken off, which is much harder than putting them on.

I did turn down a movie once based on title, because I didn't want it on the top of my imdb page. In hindsight, "Zombie Strippers" might have been fun ro have up there.

If you go to the bottom of your page you will see a button that says "Edit Page"?

Hit that. Then add credits

You can do the same by going to the specific title, scrolling down to the same link -- it's pretty self-explanatory from there.

Yeah, seems like it's a necessary evil these days - not the most accurate representation of one's "body of work" (especially as far as commercials go) but it"s definitely a resource (and a free one at that) that potential clients will use in their preliminary search for candidates.

I do wish they'd figure out a better system for the "see rank" function -- IMO, it fluctuates too wildly to be really accurate unless you're like Top 1000 or so. Otherwise, if you get a lot of traffic one week, and then less the following week, you get that stupid downward red graph image right next to your name -- the negative connotation it propagates kind of bugs me.

~tt

Speaking of things that bug us about imdb...

I didn't mix any of the projects I'm "known for". Who decides that? It's nice to have one of my most recognizable credits at the top of my page, but it's a bit misleading.

On the other hand, if it gets my resume looked at over someone else's, then I can't really complain.

Robert

I don't know how attacking people benefits anyone. There are many people in my life that I dislike, and I get by without telling them why I dislike them. Perhaps I'm missing something because this is typed on a forum and I'm getting a wrong reading of your tone, but this almost seems like bullying. Some of your posts are insightful, powerful, and interesting and some are like these. In my opinion you don't have to like everyone, but requesting someone to take their best shot at you seems immature and uncivil. Show some class, man...

I hope this is just the product of a bad day. Please feel better.

Sincerely and without judgment,

Alexander

RP admits that his "known for" credits are not shows he's mixed

Um, I believe the "known for" credits here are referring to the ones that IMDb chooses. It's beyond Robert's control that his page says he's known for "Little Miss Sunshine", "Scrubs" and "Crank" - all movies he's credited on IMDb as the sound utility.

You might have complaints about Robert for other issues, but this one should be directed towards the web administrators at IMDb.com (and you might have company here in that complaint).

Yikes!! Why do I always have to defend myself against your attacks, Richard? You seem like such a reasonable person in real life.

My resume only has mixing credits on it. No deception there. And I have contacted imdb about the "known for" credits. They are automated. I have expressed that I think it's misleading. They don't care. They stated "imdb pro is what's intended for professionals, and doesn't show the same stuff as the consumer site".

My good friend Steve Morrow mixed the movies I'm "known for", on which I am properly credited as utility sound. I have quite a few credits on things I did not mix, and they all helped me learn my craft in one way or another. I don't think Steve cares, but I'll ask him tomorrow, before I go to work the next day on a project he refered me to.

When I started mixing, and stopped taking calls for boom/utility, I wasn't working much. An old friend and neighbor, Monte Swann, offered me 2-3 weeks of full union pay on a movie in D.C. He needed the help pre-rigging dozens of monitors on several sets. I had the experience, and needed the work. I was, at the time "a mixer", and introduced myself as such to RVD when we met for a nice drink at the hotel bar. We even chatted on set a bit about sound. Not sure how this site soured our relationship. And wasn't it you who just criticized some young person for jumping in as a mixer without getting experience first, yet just now you insult me for not always being a mixer like you?

Yes, I suppose there is a benefit to having an imdb page which on the surface represents me as having more mixing experience than I do. But all people have to do is actually look at the credits, and they'll see what I did. They'll also see I have never listed myself as the mixer on something I didn't mix. If I did 2nd unit, it's listed as such or not listed at all. There are mixers who will put a day of work on imdb. I am not one.

They even changed how credits were displayed at one point, leaving off "attributes" like 2nd unit or reshoots. I emailed them several times stating how misleading this was, and unfair for the primary mixer. At first I got the same answer, "It displays properly on imdb pro, and that's where professiobal people should look." I persisted, and it changed. Perhaps in part due to my efforts.

I don't give a shit what people think about my politics or personal beliefs. I'm long past caring if everyone likes me. But one thing people who truly know me will tell you, I am 100% trustworthy and my integrity is a critical part of who I am. It offends me to have it challenged.

Sorry to anyone other than RVD who had to suffer through this post.

Robert

I don't understand the "known for" thing at all either. I too have a film on mine that I didn't mix--which doesn't really count for anything really--I know people who have "known for" thumbnails for films they had a "thanks" credit on! The films they picked for me are not even the best known ones on my list--they just seem to be ones that someone at IMDB had heard of and /or liked. I wish that section could be user-programmable instead of the way it is now. I would rather have a mix of "best known" and "latest" up there.

phil p

I work with a scripty that makes this complaint. He told me he had a producer go "it doesn't look like you worked a lot last year", when he had his best year ever. Ironically he was doing commercials that pay a lot better than indie films. Better enough that he was able to buy a house.

It's also a common misunderstanding with newbie producers that IMDB lists the film by release year. While a film may be listed while in production, they will eventually tweak that date when the film is released, so there is no easy way to figure out how many jobs you did in a given year.

It's really easy and cheap to have a personal work website. I *WISH* Apple had not killed the mac.com sites, but that was what I did with that web space. Super easy to create/update. It wouldn't get a lot of traffic, but the traffic it does get is pretty important.

But some sorts of commercials DO show up! The "Ken Block GYMKHANA 5" job I did this year showed up right away--that was a web spot for DC shoes, Monster drinks and Ford cars, really made for YouTube!

phil p

I always keep an eye on shows I've mixed. And I have had people take credit where credits wasn't due.

I have contacted IMDB, and had those credits removed.

I have also erroneously been credited, and have myself contacted IMDB to have that credit removes.

I know some re-recording mixers who have credits they shouldn't.

But I make sure that every credit I have, is one I earned. It only takes one mistake to create distrust in the rest of ones credits.