Peter's new cart build

pkautzsch

This is a photo diary of the birth of my new sound cart.

It is based on wooden 8U 19" cases (bought from Thomann) and will have the option of adding more modules. It breaks into single modules for transport in a car.

The base will, apart from having wheels, hold things like comtek RX, small playback speakers, spare headphones, and similar stuff you typically need handy only during set-up. It will also contain small mic stands, LPDAs, and a spare Rycote basket.

The main module will hold two drawers with TX, lavs, lav accessories, mics, suspensions, TX batteries and so on, and have 4 units of open space to house RX racks, script, comtek TX, headphones, and similar stuff. The recorder will either sit in this compartment as well, or in a bag on top - depending on the kind of job. In the back will be the power compartment with a power supply for 230V external power and a battery compartment (17Ah lead battery and/or 5.2Ah NP). This module can also be taken on a driving car shoot if necessary (though I prefer having only a bag for that kind of shoot).

The modules will connect with bolts (Obi - German equivalent of Home Depot). The front door of the main module can be bolted on top and hold the bag, antenna mounts, and a screen.

On the sides will be two boom holders and handles.

Here are the parcels from Thomann:

post-6335-0-97749800-1347817872.jpg

Interesting, I'm curious about what will come. One note; why wood over lighter weight ABS?

Wood: because I know how to work with it, and because it was the best priced offer.

Peter, post pictures with the stuff out of the box! Good luck with your cart build! :)

Here you go :)

Main module with drawers mocked up

post-6335-0-19267100-1347875301.jpg

Main module with handles and boom holders mounted (one on each side)

post-6335-0-23663600-1347875312.jpg

A mock-up setup of the whole cart, wheels and drawers not yet mounted.

post-6335-0-41582400-1347875355.jpg

I had been worried about all the stuff sticking out on the sides, but finally I decided to go for the cheaper version. Usually I'll use my own car, not sharing with other departments; if this has to go freight, I'm keeping the boxes it came in.

Now it's time to make all the internal cabling in the main module, power distro, and finally mount the wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

A little break due to some days of shooting. Used the new cart on the last bit already, and found I need some minor tweaks which I'll do this week.

Here's the power distribution panel, all XLR-4f for easy soldering and ruggedness.

post-6335-0-52040400-1348665588_thumb.jp

The other half of that panel is reserved for audio and video connectors in a future update. An additional XLR-4f is on the right side behind the handle. This can power a bag sitting on top. Lighting is an LED strip with the option (update list...) of connecting another one. Just not sure yet if that one's going to be fixed to the top lid, or mounted to a gooseneck.

Here's a pic of the cart's first day out:

post-6335-0-12042400-1348665600_thumb.jp

I hate to admit it but I think I am a really sick person when it comes to my obsession with sound carts. Looking at this case based cart you are building is seriously making me think about building yet another sound cart --- this thought makes no sense since my present cart is really beautiful and functional, nothing is falling apart, it is lightweight and perfectly handles all the equipment I have installed, AND I don't have a job!

Please continue to post pictures (even though it enables the insanity). Maybe I should look for the local chapter of Sound Carts Anonymous, go to a few meetings or something...

I hate to admit it but I think I am a really sick person when it comes to my obsession with sound carts.

- Don't worry Jeff. You love your work. That means you love your life.

it is lightweight and perfectly handles all the equipment I have installed, AND I don't have a job!

Example. My father has built printing press / post priting press typography company. Small formats with good money (rate) from one job. After 15 years, December is time to close this company. You have built top-rate (class) sound carts in your life and this is unfair you don't have a job. It's unfair for all of you guys. You have spend one life to built this equipment / companies (speak generally) from $50.000 to $250.000 and now you don't have job.

Peter, how do you power the t-bone IEM transmitter in the cart? I have one but havn't actually used it yet due to the power/space issue, instead i'm using the RX's with a Senn. G3 Transmitter from my bag.

Also, the system is horrible for phone and data RF interference. Drives everyone crazy around the set, but at least I get phones off when I give them to the director.

~Mark.

I power the TX, like everything, from the cart 12 V distro (either lead battery or PSU). I cut the cable off the original PSU and placed an XLR-4 instead. See above why I use XLR-4 for power.

The t.bone stuff is not as bad as the price would suggest. I mean, this unit costs EUR 99, and it behaves like a EUR 200 unit. But not like a EUR 1,000 unit. Basically: you need some tweaks and know the character faults if you want it to behave. Then, it's ok.

Mobile phone interference seems strongly dependent on individual RX units. I have one very prone to interference, and another one doesn't care at all. Found out when director and scripty were sitting next to each other in front of the monitor.

So the good one goes to the director, and the worst one stays in the cart as back-up.

Noise is ok for "just listening". Non-audio people don't seem to notice. About as noisy as the old PR-72. The in-ear phones included with the RX are crap mechanically and comfort-wise. I replaced them with cheap light headphones so I (and production) don't mind if

someone breaks one.

Battery life: the RX batt LED is still green when display and audio output go off. This is irritating at the beginning, but once you know, you just swap batteries more often.

I also have a modified guitar TX for lightweight bag work. Less reach, but on run-and-gun documentary, you're close to the director anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I took some detail shots, more to come in a few days.

post-6335-0-85509900-1350041104_thumb.jp

This holds the boom when not in use. I glued felt to the inside to prevent scratching the booms.

Another one is on the left side.

post-6335-0-19496100-1350041124_thumb.jp

On the back I mounted a pair of small wheels, just big enough to roll the cases in my car's trunk. The modules travel on their back, not upright, for space reasons.

post-6335-0-09981500-1350041109_thumb.jp

This is the power compartment. Power is switchable between the 17 AH 12V lead battery and external supply. Protection cap removed for photo.

post-6335-0-36614300-1350041114_thumb.jp

Power goes to five XLR-4 sockets inside the cart (underneath the white cap), to the LED bar inside, and to another XLR-4 socket on the cart's right side (as we look from the back, it's on the left) where I can connect anything sitting on top of the cart.

Another sub-distro will be added to the front lid that sits on top when in use - another update to be done when I'm not shooting. This update will include another LED bar, a monitor, a voltage display, probably some kind of board to clip the script to, and surely a few little things that make a soundie's life even more comfortable.

• 3 months later...

Bringing back this thread to life as I am planning my first cart.

Peter, how do you fit the wheels? Are they locked onto the cases or are the cases just sitting on a base and you attach them everytime you are setting up?

The rack modules seem to be an economic solution, I have been looking into Euromodules, SKB and Thomann. But the wheels and the structure that goes with them are still a mystery to me.

Also, as I do not have so much equipment at the moment I was wondering if I could have only one 8U rack module but on the top-half of the structure ( I think there is a photo of something along thses lines at the Cart Gallery). However that would need a sturdy base and cart structure to hold the weight, I imagine...