Peter's new cart build

pkautzsch

In order to fit them into my car, I need to take of the wheels. The axle stays on. Still looking for a better quick-lock style solution so I don't need to use that Inbus key all the time. I'll take a picture this weekend.

If it's in some van or truck, it just goes in fully assembled minus the antenna masts, and with closed lids.

I'm in the early planning state for a folding bridge holding a Blackmagic dual monitor and some power connectors to go into the top lid. This also means re-designing the antenna mast base.

As the base needs to be sturdy, why don't you just use an empty rack that can be filled with stuff once you need it. That's the easiest and most future-proof solution. Although a base that can fold down would be nice...

If I was to design a smaller cart, I'd probably go for a Thomann accessory case used upright, with the lid acting as a door, and a few separators inside. Attach wheels and a pull-out handle, place bag on top, and have all the accessories in the case.

I might actually do this if a shoot comes up that requires a lightweight small-scale setup.

Yes, I think the two-module solution provides the least planning & building headaches...Are the axles & wheels a combination you put together or is it an adapted transport trolley?

By the way, this is the pic I had in mind:

http://jwsound.smugmug.com/Other/jwsoundcarts/19050493_cfMmRQ#!i=1706598912&k=5s7DHtw

Axle & wheels is a Home Depot combo.

There has been a thread about a small bag cart lately, trolley based.

With the cart from the link I'd always be afraid to tip it over.

What I have in mind for a smaller kit is a bit like this one:

http://jwsound.smugmug.com/Other/jwsoundcarts/19050493_cfMmRQ#!i=1805902756&k=DNRkzGZ

but with a larger/higher case, and the recorder/mixer bag on top, instead of the seat.

Yes, I can think of many locations where it could be tricky to fit those rack cases, especially the width of it all through doors, tight corridors, plus getting it in my car. The smaller kit might be the place to start, I just need to make sure there is a comfortable position to mix as well, and not just carry it around. I actually prefer to mix standing up, that´s why the initial idea seemed interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I took the pics I promised.

The axle is fitted to the base's rear lid (which only comes off for severe servicing).

post-6335-0-54421200-1361131688_thumb.jp

The wheels come off by removing the clamp.

post-6335-0-33244200-1361131693_thumb.jp

As always, it's work in progress, and I feel this cart will never be "finished" completely. That's why I tried to make it as future proof as possible, and easily accomodate modifications.

For instance, inspired by the Chinhda follow cart thread, I might add another pair of small smart wheels that can be lowered between the large wheels and then allow the unit to crab. This, again as usual, needs some thought to design properly.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally I took the pics I promised.

The axle is fitted to the base's rear lid (which only comes off for severe servicing).

The wheels come off by removing the clamp.

As always, it's work in progress, and I feel this cart will never be "finished" completely. That's why I tried to make it as future proof as possible, and easily accomodate modifications.

For instance, inspired by the Chinhda follow cart thread, I might add another pair of small smart wheels that can be lowered between the large wheels and then allow the unit to crab. This, again as usual, needs some thought to design properly.

Hi Peter,

I was wondering, now that some time has past and you may have test-driven your car on a production or two, how is it treating you? My own cart for the past 2 years is very similar to yours. Same tires, same axle. Same layout of cases. Except I use ABS cases and I put the axle right through the lower one. But I didn't reinforce the lower case and it's starting to crack where the axle is, so now I am thinking about a new cart. I considered going for the wooden cases but was turned off by their weight. Also, I find my own cart, which should be roughly the same size as yours, too wide for some narrow doors. So how happy are you with yours?

Actually I'm getting happier with that cart every day I use it.

I chose to reinforc the inside of the base where the axle is mounted, so I guess this should be fine for a long time. This "reinforce" approach has been used throughout the cart, and I always opted for larger screws than I thought was necessary.

I am adding some modifications as time goes, for example I moved the antenna mast mount to the side where it is more stable (and now I can use the cart without the lid placed on top if I need to). Another thing I'm considering but don't yet have a good (ie. heavy duty) solution is adding another pair of smart wheels that can easily (!) added on the axle side instead of the big wheels. This would, on INT shoots, allow the cart to crab and fit through narrower doorways.

As to width: At the moment, it goes everywhere a wheelchair can go. If I leave the base unit outside, it's just an 8U rack case that can be carried over narrow flights of stairs or anywhere else.

• 2 years later...

Two years later, and a few things have been modified.

First of all, I changed the small "loading" wheels on the top part. It can now roll into my car's trunk more easily. That way the base unit fits in upright on its wheels. No need to remove anything.

Then, I modified the boom holders. It's now a Toolflex system like in this thread - for longer/bumpy moves I'll secure the booms with bungees.

Also it turned out that I need most capabilities to be mobile enough for quick bag work. So it's basically a big and heavy bag cart. I don't lose much functionality when I take the bag, the fins, and a stand out to a mountaintop. The cart gives me more comfortable access to all the bits and pieces, and it seems to make me more credible with some clients than just a bag would, but the actual mixing happens inside the bag.

The most significant change has been a Blackmagic Smartview Duo. This dual monitor unit has a sensor which way it is mounted, and will display the image correctly when mounted upside down. Visibility when sitting increases strongly, while decreasing and changing colors for all the "visitors" that always seem to come wherever they see a screen.

It is powered from the central lead battery and works fine even below 12 volts.

This is what the cart looks like today:

post-6335-0-90288200-1427142364_thumb.jp