Ride bikes? So hows your hearing?

Chris Campion

What kind of earplugs do you use?

The ones I'm using are foam, and come with a supposed NRR "noise reduction rating" of 36dB - (some pseudo science gone into obtaining that number most probably)

The problem is it's very hit-or-miss getting them deep enough to provide decent isolation, but not too deep as to give that very low frequency sensitivity... (do you get that? When you are hearing a KABOOM with every footstep you take?)

Either way, Its really the Wind Noise that worries me. Above say 50 or 60 mph, wind noise is very loud even with earplugs in. I sometimes come back from a ride with a worryingly dull sensation. I resorted today to stuffing a sock for each ear inside my helmet, haha. I think that helped a bit actually.

So, are there any tips for preserving your hearing whilst enjoying motorcycling?

Thanks for the replies so far guys. My helmet is a shark vision R so its full face. The bike though is a gsx-r, definitely not the sort of thing that a big windshield goes on, though that would be hilarious..

Do you have a link to the kind of moulded in-ear's you use? Especially the magic type RP Sharman! Do you find these way better than any foamy type plugs?

I'm thinking something >40dB noise reduction would be good.. does that exist?

The NRR is a rating that considers a number of factors, and was developed so the public could get an idea of how much hearing protection one could expect from a product. That said, I believe the NRR is a bit flawed, and can be somewhat deceptive in certain situations (sorry to be vague, but the details are best left for another thread).

Regarding motorcycle helmet noise...

I've found that most noise problems for riding a motorcycle is caused by wind buffeting from windshield mounted on the bike. It's actually much quieter for me to ride one of my naked sport bikes (constant steady wind) that it is to ride my BMW RT with full fairing/windshield (know to be very quiet and comfortable). I always use a full-face helmet.

With that said, I've recently purchase a Schuberth helmet, which is known for it's quietness, and is, by far, the best at reducing wind noise. I can ride with it fast for reasonable periods without feeling the need for ear plugs (on a long trip, I'd still use plugs). But it's also very pricey -- more than most would be willing to pay for a helmet.

With that said, I've found foam earplugs to work very well, but it's important to put them in correctly (roll them tight, and put them in quickly before they have time to expand).

With that said, I'm off on the bike.

Glen Trew

Shoei Neotec Modular... A nice choice... Love them...

http://www.compacc.c...CFeeDQgodRWYA9g

In ear monitors... Something like this... there are many folks that offer these, some you can do yourself, in a kit that arn't too bad, but I would get nice ones, take care of them and use them for years which I have... Even a set of plain Skullcandy in ear monitors I have bought from cyclegear work great, they just don't stay in as nicely, sound good though, block a great deal of noise... Putting ON your helmet over them can take a bit more care, but a great alternative to the high expense versions...... Just get as low profile ones as possible (short so they dont stick out).

https://superiorsoun...y.com/AM-2.html

I also have an Arai Quantum II .... Sitting around as a spare...OK, but not great.... MISS THE MODULAR SYSTEM!!! Removing and dealing with the Visor is a pain in my ass.... The Shoei is SO MUCH better in that regard....

Just remember, your head is in these things... Spending THOUSANDS for bikes and then riding with a cheap helmet is just plain dumb... Get a nice, safe and well fitting helmet... riding without one?... Don't even get me started.... NOTE: Ever watch a Superbike race on television and see a rider highside his bike, fly through the air at over 100mph. slam his head on the track and get back up and try to get back on his bike.... I have a hundred times.... with no helmet, even at 25mph., you will probably be dead... No brainer..

fwiw, here is something interesting:

http://www.webbikewo...elmet-noise.htm

Great article! They've put a bit of effort into their research there..That windjammer looks worth a shot..

In ear monitors... Something like this... there are many folks that offer these, some you can do yourself, in a kit that arn't too bad, but I would get nice ones, take care of them and use them for years which I have... Even a set of plain Skullcandy in ear monitors I have bought from cyclegear work great, they just don't stay in as nicely, sound good though, block a great deal of noise... Putting ON your helmet over them can take a bit more care, but a great alternative to the high expense versions...... Just get as low profile ones as possible (short so they dont stick out).

https://superiorsoun...y.com/AM-2.html

Yes its a good set of earplugs I'm after, not bothered about headphones as I'd only worry about the extra SPL I'm exposing myself too, and I'm not cruising for hours.

So far from the replies, nobody seems nearly as worried as I am for their hearing.. I must have particularly deaf-prone ears. :unsure: I've always found loud noises louder than the people around me, and suffered with equalisation problems, but essentially assumed that it was just me being sensitive to these issues because I'm a sound man. Hence me asking this here.

I think perhaps an visit to an audiologist is in order? See if they can make me up some plugs low profile enough for a hemet.

Custom molded earplugs are well worth the investment. I had mine done at the House Ear Institute in L.A. You can even submit it for partial reimbursement from motion picture.

They offer much flatter frequency isolation. Standard foam earplugs cut out high frequencies well, but taper of the lower you go.

And I'll second Glen's observation about sports bikes, but he forgot to mention how much fun they are :)

I buy these from Independent Studio Services (the flames are key) and have always worn a full face helmet. Buying bulk means I always have a fresh pair in my ears and spares in my pocket, no ear infections, and if I get a plug that doesn't want to fit correctly I toss it and pull another one out of the bucket that does fit. As stated earlier, fitting them properly upon insertion is most important.

I've been riding street since the second half of my junior year in high school and even with riding the first few years unprotected, before I knew better, my last hearing test turned out good so foam earplugs appear to work well over the long haul. Another consideration is in the event of taking a heavy hit to the side of your helmet, damage to the inner ear from your ear plugs, although quite possibly the least of your worries, is somewhat minimized with foam.

I'm going to take this opportunity to suggest this and this to my brothers on two wheels. Even after riding for as long as I have I found both to be very informative.

Ride aware, ride safe, ride for life.

Before my bike was stolen, I wore the Icon Alliance helmet:

http://www.rideicon.com/products/?productGroupId=58

The airflow was great and kept wind noise to a minimum. I had tried Arai and Shoei helmets and never liked them. I never did real long hauls at high speed, and in L.A. you spend most of the time splitting lanes anyway. In vegas (where my bike was stolen) I had plenty of opportunity to get into triple digits, and it got a little loud, but I would wear my custom made earplugs I had made when I was in college and playing in a funk band and in pep band. They had inter-changeable filters. They were basically like volume knobs that turned everything down. I usually used the 25db filters. Saved my left ear from my snare drum and hi-hat smashing. Great for riding because I found the foam ones tend to cut high end (at least the ones I used), and I wouldn't be able to hear some cars behind me.

I found the foam ones tend to cut high end (at least the ones I used), and I wouldn't be able to hear some cars behind me.

I always found the same thing with the foam ones. It was great when I played bass because it would knock down even more guitar than bass and kick drum.

My bikes are not super loud, and my full-face helmets keep the noise to levels that I don't really bother with ear plugs. I also don't go for long long rides very often. That's something I need to do more of.

My bike is shamefully loud, but it's the wind noise that really pounds the ears. With or without the full face helmet. I find my full face creates a lot more low end noise, which I find irritating.

Once in a while I take a slow ride down the road for coffee. Short helmet. A couple of times I forgot my plugs and was a bit embarrassed by how loud my bike is. The RPMs are always low off the freeway as to not wake any sleeping babies. But I do give a little RAP if I pass a film set :-)

• 1 year later...

I know I'm resurrecting this thread, but I thought I'd chime in while I'm researching in-ear monitoring for talent dialog:

http://www.tunebug.com/products/shake/

or maybe you could quietly flip these facing out:

https://www.flipsaudio.com/

good if you want to continue hearing oncoming traffic, "on your left", etc. Yes, I do find air whizzing under a cheap set of headphones in the winter will cause an earache.

J