Cali Wildfires

Rob Lewis

Thanks for your concern Rob. I live in Ventura county and the nearest fire to me is up near Piru (sp?) about twenty miles away. Many of our crew members who live in and around Santa Clarita and Canyon country begged off today and yesterday because of either voluntary or mandatory evacuations. The fire damage is incalculable both in terms of property damage and emotional and physical distress. You have to give props to the numerous professionals and volunteers that are fighting these conflagrations surrounding much of San Diego, L.A.,Ventura county and in Lake Arrowhead. Thankfully it didn't take long for the feds to respond and the army and national guard are helping existing fire fighting agencies with C21s which can carry a significantly larger water/fire retardant chemical payload than conventional fire fighting choppers. If the winds abate tonight then the chance of a greater containment percentage increases. I'm glued to the web pretty much all day in order to ascertain that my family is safe and secure. Bags and irreplacables are packed and ready to go at short notice but we obviously hope it won't come to that.

Prayers and best wishes go out to any and all affected by these fires. One has to wonder how certain of them occured in the first place.

Cheers

Mick

Hey Rob, thanks for your concern. Southern California is a vast expanse of mountains and valleys next to the ocean and while it may appear that it is all in flames, most of it is out of harms way and running as always. Aside from the air quality most of us are not directly affected. For those who are in harms way, and are fighting the beast, Mick said it well as can be expressed w words. Many of our brothers and sisters in the film biz live in Santa Clarita and Canyon Country and out thoughts are with them. This is So.Cal., if it's not shaking, then it's baking. Or some A hole is doing damage.

CrewC

This is an interesting take on our fires out here in Southern California. I don't know Xeni who posted it at boingboing, but I like his take on this blowhard, self rightous, talking head.                 

CNN's Glenn Beck: "people who hate America" losing homes in So CA wildfires

Posted by Xeni Jardin, October 23, 2007 9:43 AM | permalink

CNN's Rush Limbaugh knockoff, Glenn Beck, made a particularly intelligent comment on his radio show yesterday:

I think there is a handful of people who hate America. Unfortunately for them, a lot of them are losing their homes in a forest fire today.

You stay classy, Glenn Beck. At least one person dead, ten firefighters injured, at least a thousand homes destroyed, 100,000 acres burned, 250,000 Jesus, HALF A MILLION people evacuated from their homes, 10% of San Diego population displaced, the largest internal evacuation in America since Katrina.

Nothing more America-loving than sneering at your fellow countrymen while they run fleeing with their children and families from giant wildfires destroying their homes.

And Beck's comment is particularly astute, given that some of the areas suffering greatest damage happen to skew conservative/GOP-voting, not to mention proximity to some of our nation's largest military installations. Link.

Don't bother visiting our scorched 'hood, buddy, because I suspect there are a bunch of Marines and firefighters here who'd like to offer you a tall, cold glass of whupass.              Well said Xeni, well said/

I once thought that it was a great thing to be a ENG sound man running around for the news networks, until the day I was on a story where the producer said to the guest "I need you to use less technical words and treat this interview as you were speaking to a bunch of 6 year olds".  From that day forth I lost a lot of respect for these correspondents and the news media in general.  They put a bunch of self proclaimed expert nobodies on tv to force the political views and speculation of the network execs down the throat of the "6 year olds". (AKA American public).  It is truly a shame that people are losing everything in Cali, and all it is to the media is a ratings boost.