AudioSheik

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" I personally find remote control more relevant to my workflow. "

though not particularly relevent to typical HH users...

I still maintain that I wish that Lectrosonics would provide remote control capability on all the plug-ins (HH and HM), and just make it a choice in the setup menu: "Remote On/Off." They could even make the default "off," which is what you would want in a live stage situation. But for wireless boom and other production sound situations, remote sleep is very, very desirable and doable. I suspect it could be added as a software update, but only Larry could say for sure.

I still maintain that I wish that Lectrosonics would provide remote control capability on all the plug-ins (HH and HM), and just make it a choice in the setup menu: "Remote On/Off." They could even make the default "off," which is what you would want in a live stage situation. But for wireless boom and other production sound situations, remote sleep is very, very desirable and doable. I suspect it could be added as a software update, but only Larry could say for sure.

Hi Marc,

The remote sleep is actually more of a hardware change than software. The audio stages continue to operate in an auto level mode to listen for the dweedle tones, the A/d and DSP run at 1/4 speed to conserve power and the PLL and RF stages are shut down. This requires a number of solid state switches, etc., to implement. The reason it seemed to be a software change on the SM series was that the hardware was built into the units long before we enabled the function in software. In the HM, one of the major power draws is the 48 Volt power for the usual mics mixers like to use. This power would have to stay on so the transmitter could listen for a dweedle tone. This means the sleep mode would not be as great an improvement in battery life. As you saud sleep mode is the big dweedle tone function and it would be compromised on the HM. For the hardware reasons, it would be a major redesign to put the function into the HM. Maybe when (if) we do a redesign, though there is nothing on the horizon and you can see a long ways in New Mexico.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Will try to get a Canadian update Monday.

Larry F

The samples for testing have been at the lab for a week or so. Their testing will probably start this week. We should have a Canadian OK by the end of December. We will then simply add the marking to units on the shelves since they are identical to U.S. domestic units.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

" I know the TV news crews on Parliament Hill are mostly using Block 24. Still lots of space in 24 around town though. "

this is what I mean: the news crews use is intermittent, and moves around a lot; so they are not a reason to avoid any block. Radio mic's are low power and very limited in range...

Simply stated, we would love to have Remote On for live performances. On the current live show I'm doing, we're using HMs specifically for an Elvis-like dynamic hot mic and the Remote On/Off function would greatly help us preserve power throughout the first Act of the show till intermission. The set mic, or working prop mic, only gets used after intermission, and having the necessary tones to sleep the thing would be beneficial for my team backstage in case one of the members in the sound department isn't present to turn them back on, leading to another crew member to dweedle them up. This gives us confidence that the HM is working, yet not transmitting any RF till we need it.

well that is still way short of an overwhelming mandate; most of the users are probably TV news crews, and this is of no interest to them.

In live settings I prefer to keep all the mic's hot..(I realize that would still be an option...)

Meanwhile: I really wish my Jetta wagon had the power trunk lid that my Passat wagon had, and it is not available on them, while Passat wagons are not available this year.

I'll adjust.

Though, the interests are small, one caveat in having the options of Remote On/Off is the accidental absence of turning them back on from sleep mode (a no no in live settings), but under controlled environments could provide add'l benefits to the entire cast of mics between the time of sound check and performance (let's say 60 Lectros), which could well give us 2 performances out of a set of batteries rather than 1. As stated by Larry, if and when their future products are released, Remote On/Off is without a doubt a significant feature let alone remote access to transmitters. Only time and supply/demand will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

In the HM, one of the major power draws is the 48 Volt power for the usual mics mixers like to use. This power would have to stay on so the transmitter could listen for a dweedle tone. This means the sleep mode would not be as great an improvement in battery life.

Doh! There is that. "This is where my theory falls to the ground."

We'll have to wait for the futuristic SM-Series III design where we have complete remote RF control from the "Venue II"! I figure 2-way wireless communication between TX and RX will eventually happen.

We have shipped about 100 SRb's in the first round with 30 upgrade boards. We have upgrade boards on most blocks in our service department. Those numbers will fluctuate on a daily basis as boards are used in SRa to SRb conversions. SRb's are now being built on a steady basis. In early January we will hit a snag waiting on a custom SAW filter that will slow us down in surface mount impacting shipments in mid late January. February should be back to full speed.

Units for Europe, will not be available until the SRb's pass EU requirements. This is not a product problem but a paperwork problem. Theoretically, if you change one little part, you need a retest and resubmission at $10k of fees to the labs. And we changed 40+ parts. The new units are very clean and passage should be no problem. Assume EU units will ship in February.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

We have shipped about 100 SRb's in the first round with 30 upgrade boards. We have upgrade boards on most blocks in our service department. Those numbers will fluctuate on a daily basis as boards are used in SRa to SRb conversions. SRb's are now being built on a steady basis. In early January we will hit a snag waiting on a custom SAW filter that will slow us down in surface mount impacting shipments in mid late January. February should be back to full speed.

Units for Europe, will not be available until the SRb's pass EU requirements. This is not a product problem but a paperwork problem. Theoretically, if you change one little part, you need a retest and resubmission at $10k of fees to the labs. And we changed 40+ parts. The new units are very clean and passage should be no problem. Assume EU units will ship in February.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Lectrosonics

Do you know when it will ship to canada?

Do you know when it will ship to canada?

Canadian specs are the same as US specs. Canada used to accept FCC approval. Now they have their own approval process, Industry Canada, which we are in the late stages of acceptance. Once we have IC approval, we will mark US units on the shelf, as also Canadian approved and start shipping. Probably late January.

The regulation hoops we have to jump through are 10 times worse than when we started, considering both time and cost.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro