Korg MR-1000 Overkill?

curleysound

I wondered about DSD (and the Korg) before plumping for a 702T after seeing that something like 5 mins of audio takes 11GB on 1-bit DSD/5.6mHz - that requires disk drives and I'm beginning to despise disks almost as much as tape.

I think it's overkill, especially when I still have a personal struggle about recording PCM at 96kHz - I swear it sounds better and more "there", even though it really shouldn't. I can't tell the difference between 96 and 192 though, so I have no reason to believe that DSD would sound better to me.

I'm sure in a blind test between 48 and 96 the difference isn't enough that I'd ever consistently pick the 96. Some folk do swear by DSD though .... I've never heard a DSD recording. Maybe I should just be happy with 48kHz PCM .... !!

I have a lot of trouble believing that a recorder in this price range has the analog audio electronics and convertors to make this kind of high sample rate recording worthwhile, especially in semi-controlled film production sound environments.  It has been explained to me that it is not especially difficult to make a 96k convertor (hence 96 and 192 on pocket CF recorders), but that the same issues with mic pres and ADACs that have always existed still pertain.  While sounding great to me and being, I think, perfectly adequate to our needs in the field, the ADAC etc in Sound Devices recorders would be considered only of a quality for "quick check" monitoring in high-end recording studio environments, where the ADACs alone can cost as much or more than our whole recorders.  I'd love to see some real ABX testing done with these things, and the sort of tech analysis that Jay Rose was doing w/ new recorders over on RAMPS.

Philip Perkins