How future proof is sound equipment?

Victor Nguyen

The 416 was invented in the late 70s or early 80s (someone want to correct me? Well, somewhere in that ballpark). Aside from a few minor changes such as a switch from T power to 48v Phantom, it is essentially the same damn mic. Still popular.

Most audio gear tends to hold its value pretty well over the years. Recorders seem the most susceptible to obsolescence, but that in recent years has been mostly due to formats being retired. DAT or DVD-RAM anyone?

I'm still using the 5 Schoeps mics I bought in the mid 1980s. My 416 is from around the same period. I also have cabling and snakes from that time. All the recorders I use are much more recent, have turned over several times over the years, as have mixers to a lesser degree. Anything computer-based only lasts a few years at most. There have been big advances in wirelesses and related technology in the last 10 years, and there will be more changes to that stuff re the reallocation of the RF spectrum. So, really high end mics aside, the more hitech something is the faster it will become obsolete.

phil p

There are some mics that are over 10 years old that are still being used today. They also hold their value pretty well.

Uhhh. Try 20- 30 years old Michael.

To Victor, think of microphones like a cameraman thinks about a lens. The good ones serve you well, make you money, and hold their value.

It is a great VO mic Courtney. Glad it is still working. I have Rodger D's old 415 T. Still has what it has.... Cheers.

CrewC

My mikes (T-powered) must be, like, 20/30 years old as Crew says. Sounds fantastic. RF is a problem...but I got what I paid for.

I guess if you go another decade back the mikes would NOT be usable now? Like the first shotgun microphones? Stuff before the MKH series?

I feel like are we reaching some kind of limit with microphone design? Can they really get any better? Your microphones might never become defunct.

-

Sawrab

+1 Robert and Crew.

I look at good mics as a close to lifetime purchase. I would (and did) comfortably invest the most there. My 416 and Schoeps CMC641 will probably last longer than I do. Everything else can become obsolete quickly, especially recorders. Good mixers are a bit more future proof (my 442 is still doing the job for me even though the 552 and 664 have more/better features) and good wireless gear should be good for at least 5 years unless the FCC makes the block illegal to use.

This is exactly why I am holding on to my DR-680 for now. Only when I finally get a decent feature or entire season of a TV show (its gonna happen even though I live in Missoula, MT!!) and know I'll have money coming in for a while will I buy a new recorder, either a 788, a Nomad or maybe even a 664 depending on the gig but I'll probably rent first to see what I like the best.

I think it depends on the quality of the gear too - the Sennheiser, Schoeps, Neumann,etc mics sound great and hold their value for decades... Some of the cheap knock off brands (MXL, Audio Technica, Studio Projects, etc probably won't be quite as in demand in 30/40 years... If they even last that long.

Look at old Studio mics too... Stuff like vintage Neumann U47/67 go for mega bucks today...

-Mike Fowler

Quality microphones really do last. I have only just retired my workhorse 416T - in daily use since I bought it in 1989 - replaced by a sanken CS3e. The 416 still travels everywhere with me as my main backup mic.

I have a matched pair of AKG 451EBs that still get a look in, in the right circumstances. They date further back to my music studio days. Still great to mic a grand piano or for car interiors with the swivel head attachment.

Recorders come and go with boring regularity. Over the same time frame I have gone thru 1/4" Nagras, 16 track reel to reel with various synchronizer interfaces, DAT and timecode DAT, minidisc, and currently recording on zoom recorders, 788 with 442 as my backup.

Recording devices may change, but workflows have stabilized for now. These days, hand a client or DIT or whomever your CF or SD card and download. Done! As long as that doesn't change you can get a lot of years even with something like an FR2.

The current workflow isn't stable at all--and there are many new developments in the pipeline that will change things. We've only been on CF for a short period of time--not really even as long as DAT (yet) and certainly not as long as 1/4" analog tape, with HD swaps and DVDRAM/-R burns in between. CF is kind of long in the tooth by digital standards these days....

phil p