Mac Mini and Traveler for location

I'm using Metacorder 1.75 on a MacMini w/ MOTU 828mkII I/O -- Cooper 208 mixer... absolutely love this setup... I would suggest an inverter if you're not sure that you'll have constant and clean shore power... as to the mixer or "faders" - any number of units will work... what's your preference?

~tt

Thanks, i had decided to build this setup on a cart while on a set of shooting a cooking show at the chef's own kitchen. Not much moving and the crew had given me my own space right behind the director monitor setup. Right now I am thinking USB controller but wonder if MOTU CueMix can be use with a USB controller and which one?

You can use a MIDI fader box with Traveler to control CueMix. I found that there was some latency in the combo of the controller and Traveler that made "live" mixing kind of harder (you have to get used to the latency) and the current CurMix GUI doesn't allow you to see very many faders at once on a laptop-sized screen (unlike the old version). This bugged me a lot on location--having to scroll left and right to bring channels into view. The CueMix window can't be sized down to see the whole thing, at least on a Mac.

phil p

• 5 months later...

I found the analog mixer+MOTU+computer+drives thing slightly fussy, although it did a whole lot of work for me for several years.  But you can work out some very powerful configs for very cheap that way, that are more compact than the Yamaha.  

Meanwhile--here's a very tasty looking 32 channel USB interface that is also its own master clock, for $3k.

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/Orion32-Multi-Channel-AD-DA-converter

philp

This is another way of saying it has TXCO, like a Lockit etc..

Yeah too bad the Antelope doesn't have 48.048, but in truth I'm having trouble remembering the last time anyone asked me for that.  I think that if I really had 32 channels to record that having AC power prob wouldn't be and issue.  If they are at NAB maybe someone can report on seeing it actually sending 32 channels at once to a normal computer via a single USB cable....

philp

"I think that if I really had 32 channels to record that having AC power prob wouldn't be and issue."

I think you're right, Philip, I actually thought about my DC comment before I made it. Sort of knee jerk reaction whenever I see AC only equipment for the sound cart. I should give it a little more thought. Any job/setup that is going to need these 32 tracks, as you say, there is going to be something else going on that requires AC. 

"I think that if I really had 32 channels to record that having AC power prob wouldn't be and issue."

I think you're right, Philip, I actually thought about my DC comment before I made it. Sort of knee jerk reaction whenever I see AC only equipment for the sound cart. I should give it a little more thought. Any job/setup that is going to need these 32 tracks, as you say, there is going to be something else going on that requires AC. 

I can dig the way you've done power on your cart (all dc) and think it really is the best way to go for location work--(freedom from the whims and vagaries of the electric dept), and this box is probably way overkill for real movie work anyhow.  31 channels of wireless and a boom?  I shouldn't have said that out loud!  In any case, the music studio guys are all over this, as a front end to all sorts of DAWS incl PT.

philp

Perhaps I missed people talking about this somewhere else on the board, but the new PIX 260i seams like a logical choice for the next upgrade to direct to hardware.

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/pix260i/

32 channel recorder via a Dante connection from the mixer.  No AD/DV connections needed.

-Richard

Yeah the Pixie has been discussed as a location MT recorder with video--no one has popped up yet and said they've done a rig with it so far.  For the MT work I do it isn't very appealing compared to JoeCo since you assemble that stack o'inputs out of many diff formats and connectors, and that was one of the things I didn't like about my Traveler+8pre+744 rigs.  I think also that even though a recorder may be designated as a cart-based thing for most of its projected use, we still kind of like the idea that you could bag the machine and walk around with it if you wanted to, and the Pixie isn't a great choice for that.

philp