I have to vent ,sorry

Tom Maloney

I enjoy hearing these tales as well. Not getting a call sheet by 5pm the day before is a huge pet peeve of mine. Any call sheet yet?

Being on the East Coast, call sheets coming from California often don't get emailed till midnight (our time). Kind of annoying when you have to wake up at 05:00 to get to where you *think* the location is going to be.

I think instead of saying, "no", I would suggest saying... yes, I can get (x) for ($$$) if you need one. This will imply additional gear rental cost from you that they are adding to the job, or gear you don't own that they'll need to rent at their cost. Either way, you're saying "yes" instead of "no"...... which is better business practice imo. It's their shoot, their problem, keep it as such instead of making it yours :)

That's what I do as I don't have a wireless hop, if requested in the initial call I'll just say "no problem" and send a few txts to organise one. Mind you, when I mention that its an extra cost often it doesn't seem to be so important..

Grant.

And I've lost count of the number of times they stop and I have to call out, "is that a cut?" Just lame and stupid beyond belief.

I'm tired of asking "have we cut?" on practically every take.

And let's not mention that "roll sound is the new 'last looks'" phenomenon, which has already been coined by someone else here... Total chaos.

BK

I am polite do what I am asked and don' t make any waves or offer ideas. keep my mouth shut and smile. ...Finish the shoot. No real problems. The expected 4 hour shoot turns into 10 and will be billed accordingly.

Excellent! There are shoots that I've been on that I chalk up to being like a rough plane landing. Any one of them where you're still alive at the end and you can walk away intact, it's all good.

Sounds like you had excellent grace under fire, and that's the important thing. I agree, the lack of organization and the level of chaos can be pretty incredible on some of these shoots. I've seen some legitimate, fairly-reasonable budget productions edge perilously to crash-and-burn time, all due to bad decisions. I can only shake my head and keep my eyes glued to the meters and just do my job. The lack of call sheets, bad logistics, absence of normal set protocol, and lack of knowledge on the part of the camera crew can be dismaying.

On the other hand: when you then encounter a shoot where everybody has got their act together, it makes it more of a pleasure. I did one of those a few weeks ago, a current movie EPK interview, and it was a relief compared to some other experiences I've had.

Well, I just finished a doc shoot -which I've already mentioned here a couple weeks ago, shot on 16mm- that was so poorly managed, I've decided to write a story about it. I finished syncing the sound and picture yesterday, and I'm absolutely ecstatic at how well it came out - in spite of the best efforts of the "producers" to F it U.

You never know how it's gonna end, I guess...

BK

Well fieldmixer, maybe but if I was to blow up piss every one off, like they would even care , but would not really change their way of their doing business. It would stress me out, it is what it is ,over,water under the bridge, I move on. I just think to my self good thing they are not running an airlines :). I will pot no more on this. The therapy was good.

Tom

Not to hijack a thread, but I was working a short in Central Park and a web series was being shot on the other side of the bridge. The web series camera op/dp was shooting with a 5Dmkiii and steadicam rig, while their sound was an NTG2 on a fixed length boompole with no shock mount, directly into an H4N with the boom op wearing iPod earbuds...

Should be interesting to see how the sound came out... Just my vent for today. Back to chopping dialogue.

Not to hijack a thread, but I was working a short in Central Park and a web series was being shot on the other side of the bridge. The web series camera op/dp was shooting with a 5Dmkiii and steadicam rig, while their sound was an NTG2 on a fixed length boompole with no shock mount, directly into an H4N with the boom op wearing iPod earbuds...

Should be interesting to see how the sound came out... Just my vent for today. Back to chopping dialogue.

Oh.. The "Greek solution".. 5D, Rode NTG2, Zoom H4n.

Batteries are always billed. Any expendables such as batteries, moleskin, top stick, etc should be billed to production.

Yes, I know this and do so accordingly. My comment was based on Senator's remark to bill for batteries after Tom said he lent the camera department 3 AA's. I thought it was a bit much to bill for the additional 3 AA's but that's just me I guess. I'd hate to be be billed for gaff tape the next time I snag a piece from the grip department.

This is an excellent thread, Tom. I have really enjoyed it. I'm done trying to make friends with the gaffers and grips on the shoot I'm working on now. They all seem to be on speed. .. highly focused, but cold and unfriendly assholes. So now I have already broken Ben Franklin's rule:

"i will speak ill of no man and speak all the good i know of everybody..."

commpost

This is an excellent thread, Tom. I have really enjoyed it. I'm done trying to make friends with the gaffers and grips on the shoot I'm working on now. They all seem to be on speed. .. highly focused, but cold and unfriendly assholes. So now I have already broken Ben Franklin's rule:

"i will speak ill of no man and speak all the good i know of everybody..."

commpost

I hated when the "atmosphere" or "relations" between crews it's not good.

That's my "moto": Yeap man working but relax and enjoy all this.