PT8 M-Powered. Sound of small gas motor, not the recorded audio

Robert Buncher

It might be a problem outside Pro Tools, like an OS issue, bad RAM, bad video card... there's a coupla dozen possible causes. For a long time, Pro Tools was extremely sensitive to outside I/O activity (like surfing on the net while mixing or bouncing), and there were also only certain display cards it could use (especially with 2-monitor setups). They eventually nailed down 90% of these problems.

Try to trash (or rename) all divide sign database folders.

When you start PT next, it will automatically regenerate these. If there is corruption in the database, this should take care of it.

Just one more thing to try. No guarantee this will help solve the issue

Ps. Also check that your Audio Midi settings are in sync with your session/hardware

That was supposed to say Digidesign Database folders. Sorry for the autocorrect

Good news here.

Pro Tools is working for me again and has been since Thursday evening when I spoke with AVID tech support.

The fix took three phone calls the history of which follows:

On the first call I found out that I was not running the latest version of PT8 despite the PT software update button telling me that I was. So I upgraded from 8.0.3 to 8.0.5.

On the second call I then reloaded my firewire drivers. Then I copied the files of the session which was not working for me into a new session. I was then able to bring in a new file that played back without any problems.

So I ended that call thinking everything was fine but when I renamed the session and saved it I was no longer able to import an audio file that would playback correctly.

So, one more call to tech support and this technician decided to analyze my system and found three problems. One was the fact that I was running my Firewire 410 from a hub rather than from the tower, not something I would normally do, but I was so I plugged it into the tower. That did not fix the problem.

Th other two issues were that I was running PT files from a RAID and that the RAID was not journaled.

I run all my media files from a non-journaled RAID but of course I took his advice and copied the session to a new session on a single journaled drive attached to my computer. (Just for the record the RAID and the single drive are e-sata.]

Well it works. I import files and they play just fine. I can rename sessions or start new sessions and PT is working correctly.

The other sessions on the RAID still don't work but I can just copy them to the single journaled drive and all is fine.

I still don't understand why a system that was working correctly suddenly stopped working correctly. The ticket seems to have been copying to a new drive but what exactly happened? I don't know but I can finish this big project (knock on wood) and then upgrade.

The AVID tech guys were cool and wanted to fix the problem so thanks to them.

And thanks for all your help,

Bob

ra