Internet Explorer Log In

Jack Norflus

Well, I really can't check up on Internet Explorer but I have read somewhere that there can be problems (and I will research it now on the IPB support site). The login window is a modal window or pop-up or whatever they call it and maybe it is not functioning properly in IE. If you do get some sort of login window when you click on "Sign In", try and click on something else in the login window and it may take you to a static page where you CAN log in.

Saving the site as a "Favorite" or "Bookmark" shouldn't be an issue either way, but I think Eric maybe is permanently signed in so he wouldn't have a problem. I notice that Laurence has chimed in here which is a good thing since he is able to test a lot of these things that I am not able to do. It seems that it is not a problem for everyone and it is not always repeatable.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually stay logged in as well but for some reason my windows laptop logged me out and I still can't log in via ie.

I get the same thing Laurence gets with the two different boxes and when I get the full size box I can type in my user name and password but when I hit sign in nothing happens.

Same for me as well, had to go over to firefox.

Phil

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem in IE9 half the time the box won't display fully and when it does, You enter your info and hit the button and nothing happens. Window stays up and won't go away unless you close it manually.

I think it is a Javascript issue since it also happens in Chrome occasionally. Maybe you should stay away from fancy pop-up boxes with drop shadows and animation. It took me 3 trys in Chrome and I never could log in in IE9.

Unfortunately IE9 and Chrome make up about 95% of the browsers in use worldwide.

I think it is a Javascript issue since it also happens in Chrome occasionally. Maybe you should stay away from fancy pop-up boxes with drop shadows and animation. It took me 3 trys in Chrome and I never could log in in IE9.

Unfortunately IE9 and Chrome make up about 95% of the browsers in use worldwide.

IE9 and Chrome may make up about 95% of the browsers in use worldwide but they account for less than 20% of the users of JWSOUND. Both Safari and the Mac OS are the dominate browser and OS in use here. To solve the problem for IE users, I have been attempting to provide a single page (non pop-up modal window) for the Sign In. Laurence has been able to force this page but he says the programming might be too extensive and problematical to have the code be browser aware and present a Sign In page for the IE users. I have not had reports from anyone else having problems with Chrome and not all users of IE are having problems. I did get one report from someone who was using IE with Windows 7 who had one sort of problem with signing in and going to IE9 under Windows 8 the problem was solved (but a new problem showed up). According to the software publisher, the forum software is compatible with all current browsers and they have not been able to duplicate the problem or offer any substantive help on this issue.

IE9 and Chrome may make up about 95% of the browsers in use worldwide but they account for less than 20% of the users of JWSOUND. Both Safari and the Mac OS are the dominate browser and OS in use here. To solve the problem for IE users, I have been attempting to provide a single page (non pop-up modal window) for the Sign In. Laurence has been able to force this page but he says the programming might be too extensive and problematical to have the code be browser aware and present a Sign In page for the IE users. I have not had reports from anyone else having problems with Chrome and not all users of IE are having problems. I did get one report from someone who was using IE with Windows 7 who had one sort of problem with signing in and going to IE9 under Windows 8 the problem was solved (but a new problem showed up). According to the software publisher, the forum software is compatible with all current browsers and they have not been able to duplicate the problem or offer any substantive help on this issue.

It seems like it could be javascript or other local runtime code that may be the problem. It may vary from computer to computer and from browser to browser. This problem just started recently (a few weeks ago) Did you change the Login code or the version of the forum software recently? Most publishers have no way of testing on all versions of current browsers there are too many variables.

It seems like it could be javascript or other local runtime code that may be the problem. It may vary from computer to computer and from browser to browser. This problem just started recently (a few weeks ago) Did you change the Login code or the version of the forum software recently? Most publishers have no way of testing on all versions of current browsers there are too many variables.

Yes, the problems started after a major update to IP.Board software. I waited a considerable time before updating, actually waited through 2 versions before updating, read extensively on the support forums trying to determine that the current version was relatively bug free, then updated (with Laurence's help). At this point I really don't know how to solve the problem and since it is all working on the dominant platform and the dominant browsers in use here (Safari, Firefox, Mac OS), and I am not able to do any testing with ANY Windows stuff, I'm not sure how to proceed.

Yes, the problems started after a major update to IP.Board software. I waited a considerable time before updating, actually waited through 2 versions before updating, read extensively on the support forums trying to determine that the current version was relatively bug free, then updated (with Laurence's help). At this point I really don't know how to solve the problem and since it is all working on the dominant platform and the dominant browsers in use here (Safari, Firefox, Mac OS), and I am not able to do any testing with ANY Windows stuff, I'm not sure how to proceed.
Well you could roll back to the older version until they come up with a fix for the sign in.. I liked it better anyway. And maybe Safari and Firefox are the major browsers in use on this website because all the people with IE9 as their only installed browser can't sign in to complain. Jeff you should buy a cheap Windows machine (preferably with Windows 7) and use it to check your website/ You can pick them up new for about $275 or even cheaper used. Although I use Windows primarily and have over 20 Windows machines I keep a couple of Macs just to check for compatibility issues with my websites. If they are telling you the new forum software is working fine on all browsers they are lying. It is obvious from the number of identical complaints from a variety of users on this forum alone. I have just tried it on 4 different Windows machines with up-to-date windows 7 and iE9 and the sign in fails on all of them. . So you need to file a trouble ticket with the forum developers specifically about the sign in Box for IE9 on Windows 7. Hopefully they can find where the code in hanging up and fix it.

"Well you could roll back to the older version until they come up with a fix for the sign in.. I liked it better anyway."

I don't know what you mean by "I liked it better" since there are no visible changes to the way the Forum operates (other than the problem we are talking about) unless you are talking about reverting the really old versions of my forum (which did not use IPB).

"And maybe Safari and Firefox are the major browsers in use on this website because all the people with IE9 as their only installed browser can't sign in to complain."

The Contact form still works even if you are not signed in and the few reports that I have been getting have come from people who have used either the Contact form or direct email to me. No one has had any problem "complaining" (or reporting a problem) to me.

"Jeff you should buy a cheap Windows machine (preferably with Windows 7) and use it to check your website."

I don't need to have a Windows machine myself when I have experienced and knowledgeable friends like you and Laurence to help out.

"If they are telling you the new forum software is working fine on all browsers they are lying. It is obvious from the number of identical complaints from a variety of users on this forum alone."

IPB isn't saying there are no problems, they are just not helping out with the issue.

"I have just tried it on 4 different windows machines with windows 7 and iE9 and the sign in fails on all of them. . So you need to file a trouble ticket with the forum developers about the sign in Box for IE9 on Windows 7. Hopefully they can find where the code in hanging up and fix it."

I know it is a problem and I'm doing all I can presently. The other intervening factor is that we are using a 3rd party template (skin) for this forum, one that has been modified by Laurence and me, and IPB is not very helpful if you have made any changes to their default installation. The software publisher of the template has been less than helpful as well because we have altered their template.

]I know it is a problem and I'm doing all I can presently. The other intervening factor is that we are using a 3rd party template (skin) for this forum, one that has been modified by Laurence and me, and IPB is not very helpful if you have made any changes to their default installation. The software publisher of the template has been less than helpful as well because we have altered their template.

I didn't know about the 3rd party skin. That could very well be where the problem is. Since it could be a GDI incompatibility since that fancy skin uses rounded corners and alpha blending of the modal pop-up box and background dimming. Graphics primitive bugs (screen rendering) are common and very hard to debug since there are a multitude of drivers out there in the Windows world. Did you try removing the skin or Template and see if the log-in problem remains?