a question of style

larry long

i do such a mix of corporate and sports/reality that it kinda depends on the job. one corporate client will add on the call sheet for the crew to either dress for outdoor work or dress for office type of work, so that makes it easy. but generally the only thing that will change on an outdoor condition shoot and corporate/office type of shoot is footwear and pants/shorts. i generally wear a type of collared shirt to most shoots(REI and outdoor type of collared shirts). so i generally try to be fairly presentable, minus my beard, haha.

Living in Florida it's almost 100% like this.

Yes one of the things I never quite got over after moving to Dallas was the much relaxed dress code. I do a similar mix of work to michael and often find myself overdressed on corporate shoots, Unless it is a financial company. Because I still insist on wearing a collared button down type shirt and long pants unless we are outside and it is over 100. It surprises me how many times I am better dressed than a lot of the employees.

On narrative stuff, its cargo pants and a black (or dark colored) t-shirt. On corporate gigs, its nicer pants and a button down shirt. Footwear of choice lately is black Palladium boots. They're like Converse Chuck Taylor's, but with support...

ETA: I did a recording at a grave side eulogy a few months back, and I wore a coat and tie to that. Definitely the most well dressed I ever showed up at a gig, and oddly, I was more well dressed than any of the men at the funeral, aside from the mortuary crew.

A regular (corporate shoots) client once remarked that he appreciated me turning up looking neat and tidy.

Turned out my replacement one day wore beach shorts and jandels (aka flipflops) to a shoot with a bank CEO. (wtf?)

I'm usually overdressed (but practical) as I like nice clothes..

Like Ian I always have a backpack with a rain jacket and weather depending, spare warm top/cool shirt. Needed it today as what was listed as a studio shoot changed to EXT on a very windy/cold hill and I was the only crew member prepared.

Grant.

haha lots of great responses!

the reason I ask is my wife told me when we first started dating that she thought that old school black penny loafers were hot. Im like, never in a million years! I recently go a pair and wow thay are so comfortable. Well the other day waking up in a fog I put them onbecause we were working on stage. I looked down at my feet later in the day and thought to myself "I'm becoming one of those guys I never thought I would be" but I kinda dig it.

That led me to think about what Malcolm remembers.

I was just curious.

Like everyone else I try to dress practical especially in the NC heat and humidity, shorts and collared shirts or black V necks.

Can you imagine working the way we do now in suits pushing carts around in the heat when they put the sound trailer past the shitter then tell you there's no room for your trailer and it'll have to go back to base camp.

Oh well that's another rant!

thanks for playing! Oh Eric I'll meet you on isle 9