SR Reciever changes to another block?

T Spear

Hi,

Alas my SR needs to see the doctor. Split block personality disorder. It will wing its way back to the Lectro lab

for a jumpstart. Yesterday I used it and as usual it was block 22 and then today I turned it on and it has done a kind of overnight frequency sex- change on me.

There you go.

Thanks, Tony

Hi,

I have just turned on my usually trusty Block 22 Lectro SR receiver to find that it has changed its

mind and switched itself to block 24!

Has anyone come across this? Or does anyone know of a possible reboot method.

Thanks,

Tony.

Am checking with service. Weird.

LEF

Last November I had my SR5P block 20 jump to a block 470 in the middle of a shot. It was being used as a camera hop, being powered from the camera, and had worked fine all day up to that point. I turned if off and disconnected the power, reconnected the power and turned it back on and it came back as a block 20 and worked fine the rest of the day. It has continued to work without issue every since. I did speak with Lectro technical support at the time and they had never heard of this happening before and had no explanation for how it could happen.

Bob Schuck

The block on the SR is set by a resistor value that sets a voltage. This is read by the micro to select the block. In Bob's case, it sounds as if it read the voltage wrong but then read it correctly the second time. A battery glitch or low voltage might have caused this. Service says this failure is very rare. Tony, you might try powering the SR from a known good power source and seeing if it comes up ok. Service said one failure in the field was fixed by replacing the resistors that set the voltage with identical value resistors, which indeed fixed the problem. Resistors are one of the most dependable electronic parts and having one shift value is very improbable. I guess shift happens.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

That's quite interesting. Did you have a transmitter in block 24 at hand to check whether the system worked like it's supposed to besides that strange "sexchange"? If so perhaps in the future lectrosonics could implement more usable blocks in one unit to cover a wider spectrum? And design the system so that automatically changes blocks whenever there's the need? Your quirky receiver proves that it can be done actually...

That's quite interesting. Did you have a transmitter in block 24 at hand to check whether the system worked like it's supposed to besides that strange "sexchange"? If so perhaps in the future lectrosonics could implement more usable blocks in one unit to cover a wider spectrum? And design the system so that automatically changes blocks whenever there's the need? Your quirky receiver proves that it can be done actually...

I'd love a block-selectable unit! Turn the bug into a feature and then it's pure gold! I'll just bet now that it's not that simple.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. My SR has always run off a battery sled. The voltage ranges from 8 fully charged and then I switch out batts about 5 hours later when it is about 7 volts.

So I plugged it in to my bag power which runs off V locks at 15.5 volts and before my very eyes shift happened.

Voila Block 31.

When I put the batt sled power back on, bingo block 24.

I tried my old um200C Block 24 and it wouldn't talk to the SR receiver.

Back it goes to the lectro lab. Bad timing to be 2 channels down but as Larry said shift happens.

Just to add to the confusion... the actual block of operation does not change - it can't - that's hardware. However, the brain thinks the block has changed, and sends the wrong frequency info to the PLL.

Per Larry F: The micro sends an actual frequency request to the PLL in binary, i.e., 631.000 MHz rather than just A6, so it fails (can't lock the phase) and sends an out of lock signal to the micro. Not sure what happens after that.

In other words, it no workie.

Edited by karlw