Oddball Sound Job of the Month: 10.07

Philip Perkins

Ok, it wasn't really a job.  My teener daughter has a neophyte band ("The Creepsters"), wanted some demos of their songs for their MySpace page, and doesn't understand or care about the differences between location movie dialog and pop music studio recording equipment or technique.  She just sees a sound cart and a garage full of gear, and wants MP3s of her songs.  And since, as Garrison Keillor once said: "A man with a daughter is nothing more than a high-class hostage.", off to the garage we went. 

Philip Perkins

post-15-130815075673_thumb.jpg

Ok, it wasn't really a job.  My teener daughter has a neophyte band ("The Creepsters"), wanted some demos of their songs for their MySpace page, and doesn't understand or care about the differences between location movie dialog and pop music studio recording equipment or technique.

Philip Perkins

So, are you producing their next album or were you "just the engineer"?

ive done a few band recordings using 3 sqn's grouped together. we were all pleased by how good it sounded. i just helped a fround out with his bands EPK. we used 3 sqn's and my sd mixers as preamps and a big ol mackie to mix. it all sounded pretty damn good.

post-186-130815075677_thumb.jpg

Hey Phillip and all, I record a lot of bands in my home studio and for me it beats working any day of the week other than the lack of pay. Doing it for and with family is great and the memories will last forever. I trk w pro tools le and more recently Boom Recorder w the Mackie Onyx 16x w firewire card or both. I mix in pro tools. The results very from band to band as one would expect, but by in large we can do great work as compared with what was available even a few short years ago. Glad to see others getting in on the fun. Post the results of your Daughters group if they will let you. Have a great session, wish I was there. I'm working on a Mac / Pc commercial, not half the fun.

CrewC

Hey Phillip and all, I record a lot of bands in my home studio and for me it beats working any day of the week other than the lack of pay. Doing it for and with family is great and the memories will last forever. I trk w pro tools le and more recently Boom Recorder w the Mackie Onyx 16x w firewire card or both. I mix in pro tools. The results very from band to band as one would expect, but by in large we can do great work as compared with what was available even a few short years ago. Glad to see others getting in on the fun. Post the results of your Daughters group if they will let you. Have a great session, wish I was there. I'm working on a Mac / Pc commercial, not half the fun.

CrewC

Roger all that for me too.  I get to do a fair amount of "serious" music recording in and around the Center for Contemporary Music @ Mills College in Oakland, and for the SF area improv music scene.  Nobody has any money, hence MOTU hardware and computer based recording.  But CDs are made and I get to hang with the cats a bit.  The fun on commercials is rarely in what you are recording, it's mostly in the people you get to work with while making good money.

Philip Perkins

It's funny what you learn about guys on this site. I didn't realize how many of us do the music thing as well as the dialogue. Music is so much more fun but of course unless you're producing top talent, badly paid if at all. I have a modest home music/video studio using a Roland VS1680 which my wife bought me for Xmas some years ago. Great fun, great sound and crammed with demos the world will never hear. My father in law who is a virtuoso ukelele and slack key guitar player recorded an antire album in my studio which we'll release in Hawaii next year. I've always subscribed to the theory that if you can mix music of any sort then dialogue is cake. How cool would it be if guys were to post some mp3s of samples of music produced in their home studios. New category Jeff? (TIC)

Cheers

Mick

My home studio:

P1010001-filtered.jpg

Too bad I'm never at home...

On the road I take a Mbox mini Protools LE interface and a small midi keyboard. My little brother has a band and has free reign of my studio when I'm away, when I'm at home I record as much as I can, usually freebies for friends or cool people I meet.

My home studio:

P1010001-filtered.jpg

Too bad I'm never at home...

On the road I take a Mbox mini Protools LE interface and a small midi keyboard. My little brother has a band and has free reign of my studio when I'm away, when I'm at home I record as much as I can, usually freebies for friends or cool people I meet.

Wow--is that a Studer 169 console?  Great sounding mixer.

Philip Perkins