Whine in speaker monitors related to Video Card

Reid

I am getting a whine in my monitor speakers that seems to be related to my video card use. It persists even if screen monitor is turned off. Got worse with new Dell 30inch. Pulled USB cords to make sure it wasn't bleeding there. Also plugged in external USB Sound board and with no change. It will stop momentarily when I change window layout and then return. Also will pitch change when mouse is used.

Thoughts??? I am getting grumpy!!

Might have to try that to trouble shoot. This card was $1100 or so. Running Premiere which pushes a lot down on the video components. It is strange. Sound is intermittent like it is reacting to background work being done by CPU or such. Tiny hiccups and tonal changes. Mosquito like. Driving me nuts.

Thanks Mike.

Hi,

I hear my spinning hard drive do this mosquito whine too - I notice it when I route the computer's soundcard output from a Mackie Big Knob to a powered PA mixer. I don't get the whine when going from Big Knob to powered studio monitors though.

Perhaps some kind of ground loop thing? Try switching cables from balanced to unbalanced and vice versa, and/or connecting monitor speaker (or power amp) power source into same hydro circuit as the computer and computer monitor.

Reverse the polarity on the monitor speakers/power amp?

Maybe switching to a solid state hard drive would be worth trying (no moving parts that "whir")???

Perhaps try a power conditioner - like in a music equipment rack setup?

Are your monitor speakers the shielded type so they can be in proximity of your computer/monitor?

I can relate - this can drive you nuts. Hope you can solve it - please let us know how you fare :-)

Best of luck,

Dave

I am using a 6 drive 12T raid with hardware ARECA controller. Will try as much of above as possible.

Mike the suggestion you made cut off at "definitely......" and yes sound is coming through speakers.

Thanks guys.. I really appreciate the help.

All right... seems to have been issues related to the RAID drives. I could see the hard drive indicators ramping up and down along with the noise.

FIXED!!! .. though I don't understand exactly why this worked and would appreciate any theories for future reference.

1) Moved to USB sound card (cheap one) and that took care of the raspy sound that cut in and out.

2) Put in a two channel ground lift between card and mixer and whine is gone. Now all is quiet.

Thanks again for the input. I was about to start work on my better scotch shelf. Didn't really realize how much it was wearing me down till it was gone.

Best all.