Nomad Lite

Jeff Wexler

Zaxcom has introduced a new model in the Nomad lineup.

- from Zaxcom website:

post-1-0-65338100-1348864867_thumb.jpg

Nomad Lite is a complete location sound recording system for video productions. Specifically designed for over the shoulder use, it provides all the functionality necessary to mix and record in a power efficient space-saving package. Nomad Lite has a complete set of DSP effects to give you the tools to not just mix and capture tracks but to provide a level of quality not possible with analog based mixing.

10 recorded tracks, NeverClip, Visual timecode slate and MARF ultra high reliability file system are some of the unique features that add to the value of Nomad Lite. A combination of compact size, light weight, low power consumption and integrated features make Nomad Lite the perfect choice for any sound bag.

Nomad Lite is the simplest to use of all the Nomad mixer/recorders. All mixing and monitoring functions are directly accessible from the control panel. Nomad Lite offers the right combination of track count, DSP Effects, analog inputs, mix busses and digital mixing at an unmatched price point. Best of all Nomad Lite can be upgraded to other Nomad models as your needs change.

The Nomad Lite mixer can send three independent stereo mixes to five cameras. It will record any combination of its six output busses and the 10 analog isolated inputs for a total of up to 10 tracks. With Nomad Lite all 10 analog inputs are instantly available for control via the six rotary faders and the menu encoder. This eliminates the need for external add on fader hardware keeping Nomad Lite as small and light as possible. All of Nomad Lite’s mixing functions can be stored in memory for instant access or stored to removable memory cards.

I don't know the pricing on this new configuraton but I would imagine it will be very competitive.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's basically a Nomad with 10 record channels (more than the Nomad 4, 6 or 8, equal to the SD664), but without Zaxnet, AES and the inbuilt IFB transmitter.

It's yet another good option to be looked at by those of us who, like me, are looking for a new mixer/recorder. However the million dollar questions - how long would I have to wait to get one that works as advertised? and - how much will it cost?

Also a key feature:

Misc.

♦Sunlight readable color LCD

~Mark.

Wow. And what a coincidence that while it has no release date, it just happens to be announced the Friday before the 664 US debut.

Stay classy.

Ya, the timing is aggressively competitive. But that's fine. I'd guess it won't take Zaxcom all that long to roll out Nomad Lite since they "just" need to remove some features from Nomad. I look forward to checking it out at AES.

If turnabout is fair play , maybe Sound Devices will bring out a more-direct competitor to Maxx.

Anyone who has ever purchased a computer or two should be familiar with the paradigm: You don't buy for the future; you buy for what you need now. You also don't look for any particular device to be the perfect solution for everything. You buy the combination of features that serves you best at the price point that makes sense for those needs.

You buy it and don't look back. If it makes money for you, it was a good choice. If it makes money for you and also makes your life a bit easier in some way, then it was a great choice.

If you're after the perfect device, at the perfect time, at the perfect price, that will serve you perfectly into the future, good luck with your institutionalization -- electroconvulsive therapy might help.

Interesting development, but Nomad is still off my list for lack of switches / pots or control surface features. 664 is a resounding maybe, but want to see a signal flowchart, the user manual, and some user feedback before I make up my mind. The MAXX is missing pots/switches too, but may not be as a critical of an issue for those smaller 2/3 channel jobs. If SD released a recording 302, then I fear that it would trump any interest that I would have for the MAXX.

When will it be available ? Maxx is already announced on their website for the very approximative date of... "Winter 2013" (could be January, February or even December 2013 !!!), what's about the Nomad lite ???

I checked with Zaxcom, and the Lite is due to start shipping in 2 weeks.

The Nomad Lite replaces the Nomad 4,. it's now a 10 track unit with more basic mixing capabilities and DSP based tools.

List price: $3,995

The Nomad 10 replaces the Nomad 6. It's now 10 tracks and includes ZaxNet

List price: $4,850

Nomad 12 is exactly the same but the price has been lowered.

New List price: $5,995

Zaxcom basically looked at what the consumers were wanting in terms of features and track count and modified the Nomad line to fill the needs.

I know I'm starting to run the risk of sounding like Mr. Anti-Zaxcom guy these days, but I don't believe for one second that this was the sole motivation.

I think that what Zaxcom looked at, was that SD was getting the spotlight for a second, and that just wouldn't do. I also think that they looked at the droves of displeased Nomad purchasers ditching their machines within a few months of purchase (at a loss) in order to buy a 664.

I also think that they looked at the droves of displeased Nomad purchasers ditching their machines within a few months of purchase (at a loss) in order to buy a 664.

I really haven't seen any of that, people ditching Nomad at a loss to buy something new from Sound Devices that isn't even available yet. I don't know of anyone who bought a Nomad and started using it on jobs, seeing the SD 664 announced and chucking their Nomad. Maybe I'm just out of the loop but I don't see it.

I think competition is good and if the SD 664 caused Zaxcom to re-configure the Nomad line of recorders and also offer more features and higher track count at lower prices, how can that be a bad thing? Of course Zaxcom was concerned about Sound Devices being in the spotlight, just as Sound Devices was concerned about Nomad and later Maxx being in the spotlight when they didn't have a product that could be directly competitive. I think John Blankenship has the most insightful things to say and I appreciate that he takes a rather broad approach to the overall issue of choosing the right tools for the jobs you are doing, and the tools that suit you the best. For example, those who really want a recorder that is somewhat less complex and has more hardware (switches, knobs, etc.) and less software (menus, etc.), something like the SD 664 is a welcome choice. It's really just like my feeling about continuing to use my Cooper 208 analog mixing panel --- that is what suits me in a mixing panel, I don't want a big Yamaha with menus and layers and all that stuff, but that's just me. With the recorder, however, I prefer the absolute state of the art Zaxcom Deva with features and functions not available in any other recorder, but again, that's just me.

I agree with you on most of these points, Jeff. I believe that competition IS a good thing. I truly believe that there is room in our market for all of these innovative companies to thrive... and I believe it's up to the individual to chose what machine best suits them.

I just see this a being a bit reactionary on Zaxcom's part. I've been feeling a bit down lately on how glenn represent Zaxcom professionally, and I think this is an extension of that.

Like you, I prefer my analogue board. I ALSO think that for narrative work, nothing beats the Deva.

My remarks are simply outlining a distaste for what seems to have become the Zaxcom business model... Not their products.