Nomad Lite

Jeff Wexler

I would still like to upgrade my 6 to a 8.. unless the 10 offers the same functionalities as the 8 (USB support and mix tracks). but the 8 is totally missing from the website?

Upgrading a 6 to a 10 gives you the extra tracks, but doesn't add USB. If you want USB you should go to a "new lower priced" 12. Because if go to a 12 vs going to an 8 you will get 4 extra tracks for less than $200.

And no nomad models are being discontinued they will all be available - though for a few dollars more a lite or 10 may be a better value to some if you would like the extra tracks. Though some people may want to save a few dollars and opt for the lower track count.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Upgrading a 6 to a 10 gives you the extra tracks, but doesn't add USB. If you want USB you should go to a "new lower priced" 12. Because if go to a 12 vs going to an 8 you will get 4 extra tracks for less than $200.

And no nomad models are being discontinued they will all be available - though for a few dollars more a lite or 10 may be a better value to some if you would like the extra tracks. Though some people may want to save a few dollars and opt for the lower track count.

But it's not 'saving a few dollars'. The 8 costs more for availability of features that are yet to be implemented!

Zaxcom has been aware of this and it is currently being addressed. They have been working on new software that will expand the ENG home screen. You will soon be able to auto-trim all 10 inputs, pan all 10 inputs, mix input 7 thru 10 right from the ENG screen with essentially just the menu knob.

How about the ability to have all of the 12's, for example, digital inputs visible and and individually controllable , as the analog inputs, currently are?

Thank you very much

Fury

But it's not 'saving a few dollars'. The 8 costs more for availability of features that are yet to be implemented!

The 8 requires a different board/processing to deal with higher track automix and USB support. Costs more for that reason. It WILL come.

But it won't come to Nomad 6 or 10 without a mothership hardware modification.

I really need to get used to this new pricing concept.

Buy a box that does everything. It's all in there. But we'll only allow you to access the bits you pay for. It's just so weird. But I suppose it makes a lot of sense. The hardware costs $X - plugins are extra.

Dropping the price to compete with the 664 for similar features gets people into the product line.

I know I'm starting to run the risk of sounding like Mr. Anti-Zaxcom guy these days, but I don't believe for one second that this was the sole motivation.

I think that what Zaxcom looked at, was that SD was getting the spotlight for a second, and that just wouldn't do. I also think that they looked at the droves of displeased Nomad purchasers ditching their machines within a few months of purchase (at a loss) in order to buy a 664.

What droves are you speaking of? I've seen a few on sale but not "droves." Some people find the SD gear fits their needs and some people find the Zaxcom gear fits theirs. Great! Go buy whatever pieces of gear fits yours needs and your business.

Buy a box that does everything. It's all in there. But we'll only allow you to access the bits you pay for. It's just so weird. But I suppose it makes a lot of sense. The hardware costs $X - plugins are extra.

Dropping the price to compete with the 664 for similar features gets people into the product line.

This is how a lot of software works.

phil p

I checked with Zaxcom, and the Lite is due to start shipping in 2 weeks.

The Nomad Lite replaces the Nomad 4,. it's now a 10 track unit with more basic mixing capabilities and DSP based tools.

List price: $3,995

The Nomad 10 replaces the Nomad 6. It's now 10 tracks and includes ZaxNet

List price: $4,850

Nomad 12 is exactly the same but the price has been lowered.

New List price: $5,995

If these prices are correct I'm very pissed off. I paid $5500 for my Nomad 8 at the end of Dec 29, 2011 (for tax purposes - I didn't receive the Nomad until Feb 23, 2012). On July 27, 2012 I sent it into Zaxcom for a $1900 upgrade to a 12 ($300 labor + former price difference between units). So I've paid $7400 for a product that only costs $5995? Way to screw over customers Zaxcom.

And now the upgrade is a software update? Did I pay $300 for a software update?!?

And to add insult to financial injury, it's currently at the factory for the fourth time. I knew going in to expect issues with Zaxcom gear, but this is starting to feel like customer abuse.

Should I cancel my MAXX pre-order and wait 6 months after it comes out for the price to drop?

Mark O.

If these prices are correct I'm very pissed off. I paid $5500 for my Nomad 8 at the end of Dec 29, 2011 (for tax purposes - I didn't receive the Nomad until Feb 23, 2012). On July 27, 2012 I sent it into Zaxcom for a $1900 upgrade to a 12 ($300 labor + former price difference between units). So I've paid $7400 for a product that only costs $5995? Way to screw over customers Zaxcom.

And now the upgrade is a software update? Did I pay $300 for a software update?!?

Mark O.

Mark that's weird, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I always understood that going from Nomad 8 to 12 was just a matter of paying the software upgrade code (which I thought was only the price difference between machines), and that you could do that perfectly yourself entering the code in the Advanced setup menu, because all the hardware needed was already inside the machine (linux processor etc...) And only going from 4/6 to 8/12 needed to go back to Zaxcom for additional hardware.

I think it's pretty cool that Zaxcom is tweaking their line. It's confusing at the moment for sure but once the dust settles I'm confidant all nomad owners will benefit.

So, is upgrading my nomad 6 to a 10 a software upgrade? As in, a code I can enter myself?

I was told the step up from a 6 was the ONE that required extra hardware. Offhand it needs some extra hardware for the USB, and maybe something else. I have a 6 now, so I always had the upgrade path in my mind.

Unfortunately the concept of paying for software is why people think it's ok to pirate movies and music. My Mac can play all those songs, so it's all 1s and 0s beyond that, right? I'm stretching it a bit, but still.

There is a physical difference in the middle of the Nomad line. Going up from the 6 requires additional hardware. Otherwise I believe it is all added with software.

Maybe it made more sense when the Deva line used to sell the effects package as an option. If you were never going to use that stuff (using a mixing console in front or something), then you didn't have to buy it, but it was a (software) option for people that wanted it. The record tracks were all determined at initial purchase though.

I think Zaxcom may have just shot themselves in the foot. I have both Zaxcom and SD gear, and wouldn't exchange a Nomad for a 664. But people who have in the past steered clear of Zaxcom have often done so because they were wary of the software, its apparent complexity and the constant firmware updates, new features etc. Reading a Zaxcom forum can put you off Zaxcom gear straight away, even though most Deva and Nomad owners find their machines completely robust and reliable.

Many of those who prefer the SD route prefer the apparent simplicity and lack of complication of SD equipment, and by changing so much so fast - Nomad 4, 6, 8, 12, Maxx, Nomad Lite, 10, new 12 - Zaxcom are adding to some people's view that Zaxcom tend to overcomplicate things. Now the choice is 10,10, or 12 tracks... Hmmm.... 4,6,8,12 at least had the benefit of clarity!

And to add insult to financial injury, it's currently at the factory for the fourth time. I knew going in to expect issues with Zaxcom gear, but this is starting to feel like customer abuse.

Should I cancel my MAXX pre-order and wait 6 months after it comes out for the price to drop?

Mark O.

I feel much the same. My Nomad was around £5000 - at current exchange rates that's about $8000. The Zaxnet functionality is fabulous for the IFB, but I don't run Zaxcom wireless so it's usefulness is limited. I paid the extra for the higher track count and as-yet-to-arrive features.

Now it seems I could have ordered the same machine with a greater track count and almost as much practical functionality for less money!!!

That both my Nomad and ERX failed within weeks of purchase and had to be shipped back to the US for repair - costing me a small fortune in hiring replacement kit - is just additional misery.