Nomad Lite

Jeff Wexler

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Feature this. Say, SD reduces the price, for the 664...immediately. If done B4 release, no angst, as no higher price point purchasers. This would beget the next volley, more than likely, etc., etc....

At any rate, Zaxcom will, quite likely have to sweeten the pie for, for, at least, current 12 and probably 8 owners. Prudence would mandate an expeditious counter, to mitigate the, apparent, tenor of crescendoing negativity. One thingtough, for all Nomad owners, that would be relatively easy- a free Steinheil (Fury's personal fav.) or 3M, or whatever, protector, with the screen mod.

While capitalistic forces are hard at work here, in a small niche, this sort of scenario is not unique -played out, in countless other marketplaces. Lettuce not forget that, at least prior to 664's announcement, there were waits for Zaxcom gear...maybe still so, albeit without palpable, community displeasure.

BTW, Are upgrades to Nomad going to void, maintain or increase existing warranties?

Thank you very much

Fury

" a Nagra 4.2 would be a Nagra 4.2 forever because NOTHING was optional and nothing was upgradeable "

correct in spirit, but there were options that could be added, or changed.

" Nomad is still off my list for lack of switches / pots or control surface features. 664 is a resounding maybe, "

stand by for another announcement...

" all the dealers have specific details as to what all the upgrade policies are and what costs there are. "

really ?? or should that be: all the dealers will have specific details as to what all the upgrade policies are and what costs there are..??

Say, Jack, might I suggest we could you some clarity (and possibly disclosure) here:

are you Zaxcom's official spokesperson, or just a beta-tester and "informed" customer ??

Settle down. This is nothing like those poor cameramen who keep buying expensive new cameras that are then overshadowed by another new model every year. How would you like to be those poor bastards?

For us all, it should only be all about staying abreast and educated on the ever-changing features from our audio manufacturers who never stop improving their existing products. It's win-win for us. In fact I'm typing this as we prepare for a Sound Devices Event today. (Catch it online at 11 am.) We should only hope the manufacturers never stop resting on their laurels. There are enough choices now for everyone to be happy. They are both wonderful products. Haters don't need to turn these threads into the old Deva vs. Fostex & Cantar wars from a decade ago, over who was going the primary cart recorder winner. JWSound is not about that. In fact Glenn and Jon are very friendly with each other. We are at a better place now and should embrace them all because they only help us to better jobs. Viva la difference!

It seems to me that people are somewhat missing a trick or two here...

If I bought a fancy Chevrolet car, and it cost me, say, $30k. If some months later Chevrolet decided that the competition was getting a bit keen, and that they should adjust their prices, and they dropped the price of my car by say $5k, it would be a shame, but I dont think I'd be that pissed off - it would be a pity, but I would have had the benefit of driving that car for the months before the price drop. More to the point the dealer are not going to come chasing after me to give $5k back. Its tough, but its life....

I happened to be speaking with Glenn today, on another matter, and we talked around the following....

Basically, Zax are making the buyng choice simpler by offering three models instead of four. Nomad Lite will be a simpler machine, that has headline specs that are pretty close to the SD664 without the extra faders fitted. Nomad 10 is a pretty well specced machine, and Nomad 12 has everything fitted.

Existing owners will be offered upgrades, should they wish to take them.

Nomad 4 will upgrade to Nomad Lite

Nomad 6 will upgrade to Nomad 10

Nomad 8 will uggrade to Nomad 12

The above upgrades will basically only involve software unlocks, but may well need to be done by a dealer. They will cost somewhere in the region of low hundreds of dolars.

The way I see it, everyone has an opportunity to 'win' somewhat. Everyone can have the option of a better machine than they bought, but at a fraction of the old upgrade price.

Kindest regards to all,

sb

from the zax website : When multiple channels are set up for multi channel microphones the Nomad Lite’s soft knee compressors will be linked via a side chain. This keeps the gain equal on all channels even when one of the microphone inputs is in compression

is this a coming feature ??.my nomad 8 doesn't seem to have this fonction..

Honestly, the price difference is unfortunate for those people, but these things happen.

The real issue seems to be the down-time and shipping expenses shuttling Zaxcom gear around. Not to mention subrentals, etc.

It's this sort of nonsense that has steered me clear of a product line which is clearly "superior" in features, but lacking in sense.

Especially after the long beta testing (by the Nomad owners), and the price paid for this beta testing. In my case: I send my unit to France two times for repair, I paid (Shipping costs, reseller fees, and customs) more than 183 Euro (235$). The update must be for free.

I agree that the update should be free. I just got a six last week. I'm also not excited about reading people sending in there Nomads three or four times for repairs >:(

If Zaxcom is trying to remain competitive by this confusing update/version policy that's fine by me. But the thing that I, being one of the first Nomad users, am really dissatisfied with is that some of the even most basic requests have been "on the to do list" for months and months and just don't seem to happen. Things like a simple(!) record duration counter or display of the current segment number during recording. Why don't they just temporarily hire additional programmers to get their list done? I am holding on to my Nomad, but I can understand why others prefer to switch to a 664 for (partly) this reason.

The recorders from both companies offer more than I ever need 99% of the time. The price points on the new recorders are better than those I spent on my Nagras way back when. No one recorder can do everything for everyone every time. I for one am grateful we have these great tools available to us today. Basically a Chevy or Ford will get you where you want to go unless you let some bs ego thing get in the way. We have many great tools for doing the work at hand these days and they keep getting better. I see no down side for the grunts like us doing the jobs out there. Thanks Zax and SD for all the improvements in your products.

CrewC

Say, Jack, might I suggest we could you some clarity (and possibly disclosure) here:

are you Zaxcom's official spokesperson, or just a beta-tester and "informed" customer ??

My role with Nomad is that of a beta-tester and consultant in which I give real word feed back and ideas regarding a product that I use daily. I am not an offical spokesperson - it is my own choosing to post here and share information that I have with everyone. I happen to be one of several beta testers - other testers choose not be be as active on-line as I am.

From post 17, Nomad prices:

The Nomad Lite replaces the Nomad 4,. it's now a 10 track unit with more basic mixing capabilities and DSP based tools.

List price: $3,995

The Nomad 10 replaces the Nomad 6. It's now 10 tracks and includes ZaxNet

List price: $4,850

Nomad 12 is exactly the same but the price has been lowered.

New List price: $5,995

Eric

My role with Nomad is that of a beta-tester and consultant in which I give real word feed back and ideas regarding a product that I use daily. I am not an offical spokesperson - it is my own choosing to post here and share information that I have with everyone. I happen to be one of several beta testers - other testers choose not be be as active on-line as I am.

In other words, you are in some ways employed and in some ways paid by Zaxcom - but you are not an official spokesperson ;)