Nomad Lite

Jeff Wexler

Late in the sense that for 10 days now no-one has been discussing my little rants or indeed the somewhat hot tempered replies to them. It's a scab that doesn't need picking.

It's not 'interesting' - I simply don't think it's relevant. I am a new customer and while they have been very reasonable I don't particularly wish to discuss the ins and outs of our fledgling relationship. Suffice to say we have discussed alternatives, which I did mention I would try and do some posts back.

Both Pinknoise and Soundkit list the Nomad for purchase. My local chaps Wendy's Broadcast will also pull them in (possibly from EE, I don't know) if asked.

I will be picking my Nomad up next week after it's factory hiatus. Be interesting to see the new screen mod.

As far as Zaxcom's turnaround time for Nomad upgrade and repair on Nomad 8, it was better than even imagined and AFA can be ascertained at this juncture-perfect. Certain make ready mods not operational yet. The piece left the friendly confines of Coffey Sound in Ca., for Zaxcom in New Jersey, and was subsequently drop shipped (emphasis on NON drop, actually) back to Ca., in a TOTAL of 6 business days. Bunch of stuff done-Replace battery holder and full power testing, Nomad 48 pin modification, Nomad bright screen modification, Nomad bootloader update, Nomad software update to v. .313E, Nomad PLD update to MS6 for Mix-8 support, Nomad USB support modification. Granted, a lotta easy software stuff, but still... They even sent a new Zaxcom box back.

WRT the brightness mod, too bright for all but, possibly, f22 viewing at full illumination. Dial down a few notches, to accommodate ambient lighting and spot on...

Thank you very much

Fury

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you misunderstand, I mean that now all the retailers here stink, so "If you want something done you have to do it yourself". I'm not starting up a business, though I really would like to, considering what that Danish dealer said.. I'm appalled over it still.

Well, we know Zaxcom reads posts here, but in general it's not a bad idea to tell the company that their dealer in your region is not up to speed.

Seems almost TOO Bright, at max setting in typical, indoor, ambient light. Dropped down, one or two notches, perfect, YMMV. At f22, prolly need max setting. which, as Rado indicated, was spot on. The screen, AFAIK, has not been changed, just a jumper and software change.

Thank you very much

Fury

I noticed on the Nomad Comparison Chart it says the Lite has 0 track mix busses while the 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 have 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 respectively.

Does anyone know what this refers to, does this mean the Lite only records ISOs and not mix tracks?

Thanks all

What would be great is for actual nomad owners who are satisfied with their purchase chime in here. Are you happy with your nomad? Are you satisified with zaxcoms upgrade policy.

I am!

And I will be very happily be upgrading!

I am an extremely happy nomad owner. It's the best field recorder i've ever worked with, and exactly what i'd hoped it'd be.

On a slightly side note, zaxcom has been upfront from the beginning what features are completed, so all the complaints about changes and incompleteness are a bit overblown. I knew everything the nomad could do when i bought it, and it did everything i was told it could do. That makes it a complete product at the time of purchase. The prospect of additional features is a bonus, and some of those features may be worth waiting for, but in no way does it make the unit incomplete because you know it can't do it when you buy it. Just my take on it.

so it is not possible to have 2 different fader assign settings like hp settings.

you will have one then when you select fader assign 2 the units executes fader assign clear command and loads the other one?

The faders have a limited physical range. If you have a fader at 3/4 then flip to bank 2, you could only turn up that fader (now assigned to another channrl) an additional 25%. It wouldn't work.

Your headphone volume setting doesn't change when you change hp monitor modes, just what's routed to the hp.

Wandering Ear

Works on my Virus TI every day. Take a few times to think before you tweak at that range, but no biggie. And then you get used to waiting for a perfect moment to zero the knob by twiddling all the way down. So, in our line of work that would be when the subject is not talking, like so many other changes we have to make only at those moments.

The faders have a limited physical range. If you have a fader at 3/4 then flip to bank 2, you could only turn up that fader (now assigned to another channrl) an additional 25%. It wouldn't work.

Wandering Ear

Works on my Virus TI every day. Take a few times to think before you tweak at that range, but no biggie. And then you get used to waiting for a perfect moment to zero the knob by twiddling all the way down. So, in our line of work that would be when the subject is not talking, like so many other changes we have to make only at those moments.

I suppose it technicaly works, but it's not very practical for the way we often work. At least that's how i see it.

K

Wandering Ear

Whereas the way the faders for 7-10 is practical for the way we work? Oh I think I could name several other weird things on the Nomad that are more difficult than this. I think flipping pages would be preferable.

I suppose it technicaly works, but it's not very practical for the way we often work. At least that's how i see it.

K

Wandering Ear