New bloop slate app

Rakesh Anderson

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion. Have the app "say" the number as well as the beep. Could be fed into your mix or just acoustically. Might be useful for doco situations where shouting out slate numbers is a bit too distracting for the contribs.

Sven is probably on the look out for VO work right about now.

I'd like to see Sound Devices integrate something like this with CL-WiFi so the actual file name could be displayed wirelessly...

Nice work Rakesh. I agree with most of the feedback above. Other things people may find useful :

~ The option of a file number on the scene/take page.

~ The option of an extra page for extra info like project/mixer name, track splits, sample rates, contact details, date, time, GPS/location etc. (unlikely to be used for every take but handy perhaps for the editor if used at the beginning of a scene or day).

~ A rudimentary log, tracking how many scenes and takes attributed to a given project/shoot/day etc and maybe a away of emailing this info (if only to oneself :-).

~ A quick way of adding and removing commonly used suffixes to the take number - eg onscreen buttons for 'AFS', 'PICK-UP', 'EB' (end bloop), etc.

~ The option of a high contrast (eg checker board) visual signal (to compliment the 'standard' red signal) for use in tricky lighting situations like flashing colored lights and/or a lot of reflected light on the screen.

~ The option of something like 'talk and shake to activate' for when we're wearing gloves. The idea being the operator could say 'bloop' and then shake device to activate, so as to avoid the potential issue of the device blooping when NOT needed.

~ The option of 'auto' (or 'talk and shake') to advance take number - again for when we wearing gloves and/or things are a bit hectic etc.

good luck with it all. (i wish i could code apps).

dan.

• 1 month later...

Just bought it, it'll definitely be of use on future sets.

Small request for future version:

It would be great to have a sequence/slate number page in addition to the scene/take page not all projects I work on have scene numbers.

Also, maybe rotation detection on the scene/take page, so the numbers always face the right way?

Thanks!

Loving it!

Would be great if I could set a 'default bloop volume' in the settings of the app.

Most time when on a call, I have the volume turned down to 2 or 3 'clicks' from zero.

If I'm not mistaken, the app sounds out at this vol.

Perhaps when the app opens, it could set the phone to the volume specified under 'default bloop volume'. That way the hardware vol buttons would still work for on the fly adjustment once the app is open.

My 2c

Thanks again or a great app!

Great app!

I have one suggestion:

Activating bloop via the volume buttons. Not sure if this is possible but it would be great. In the northern parts of the world things start getting really cold and gloves are necessary on exteriors. Taking them on/off before each bloop would be time consuming.

Otherwise, beautiful and simple app.

I have one suggestion:

Activating bloop via the volume buttons. Not sure if this is possible but it would be great. In the northern parts of the world things start getting really cold and gloves are necessary on exteriors. Taking them on/off before each bloop would be time consuming.

Having the volume or any button activate the bloop was originally the plan. Unfortunately, Apple is pretty strict about reassigning the buttons, and they won't allow the app on the store if it's not compliant. We are thinking about some possible solutions.

Having the volume or any button activate the bloop was originally the plan. Unfortunately, Apple is pretty strict about reassigning the buttons, and they won't allow the app on the store if it's not compliant. We are thinking about some possible solutions.

I could swear there had to be some apple restraint to that function.. So that's why every other camera app than the iPhones own camera app won't work with the volume buttons....

• 3 weeks later...

Is there no setting for 1/25 second? Would make the app more attractive to us Europeans...

+1

I've had no problems using it until now, for the kind of work I've done, but being thorough and precise is very important. So if the bloop could be 1/25 long than it would certainly feel more correct than now, even if it works