Red Fan solution

E.Rueff

• 1 month later...

So far, I've kept my mouth shut on the Red Group, but I'm sorely inclined to tell them, "ya know, instead of worrying about upgrading the Epic camera from 4K to 5K, how about you reduce the fan noise by 50% instead? And make the timecode 100% reliable so that it still works, even if you shut the camera off for an hour and then come back and turn it on again?"

But I've been quiet thus far.

So far, I've kept my mouth shut on the Red Group, but I'm sorely inclined to tell them, "ya know, instead of worrying about upgrading the Epic camera from 4K to 5K, how about you reduce the fan noise by 50% instead? And make the timecode 100% reliable so that it still works, even if you shut the camera off for an hour and then come back and turn it on again?"

But I've been quiet thus far.

hey Marc :) not sound guy im just a DIT/AC/ Red owner.worked on few sets with SD 744T and variants never had any problem with TC.For Fan Noise you should work with Sony F65 too its 2-3X louder than Epic.

I guess it depends on what is meant by not that bad... if you're shooting loud action movies and stuff where there's a constantly high noise floor, sure -- it's not that bad... if you're shooting dramatic intimate lower-level dialog scenes in Arizona in August... probably better use an Alexa...

now, to the Red Epic's credit - I'm mixing a feature right now that's using one (not jamming TC - slating only - so I won't comment on the TC issues)... and it's been pleasantly quiet. Granted, we're in the Pacific NW in November, but still - it's definitely quieter than on most of the other jobs I've done with a Red. I'm still not a huge fan -- which is what the Red needs -- or a .357, like someone pointed out earlier. Would I turn down a job because it'll be shot on a Red? Nah, I'll just envoke the pseudonym clause in my deal memo and collect my checks ;)

~tt

Hey kemalettin! Nice to get some people in here that are not soundies, it's good for the discussion.

The thing with the fan noise is just that it's "acceptable" for a take, but even with the fan at 25% in close ups with quiet dialog, it's too loud. There's the processor hum/squeal. To me, that is the biggest issue. That, and the fact that it's not quiet during rehearsals. So it's the fan design in general that's the problem. Alexa is quiet most of the time...

From a fan POV, I love the DSLRs.