Oscar Sound Tech-lavs Re-visited.

Rasmus Wedin

I hate the tram, they sound awful.

I love reading this :)

Seriously... I wish all you guys would throw your trams away (or at least sell them to me for cheap... especially a white one, currently, or a couple red-dot reduced sensitivity trams).

They're not great lavs and none of you guys should be using them. In fact... I forbid you!!!

(I also bought some OST 801's... for backup, but they've yet to be used aside from initial "testing"... I may call pro-sound and see if I can exchange one of 'em for a white one).

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ AndyB...i would love to hear how they work with your G3s....I have G2s and was wondering how would they work with OST lavs.

Also, can somebody explain the difference between OST 3 lavs (801,802,TL40) i have noticed their frequency response and i would like to know if i have to buy a pair which one would you suggest?...how the frequency response affect their usage...?...

Thanks!

Okay, so here's an update of my situation.

I have since converted my OST-801 from TA5 connector to Sennheiser EW. It seems like problem solved. It sounds just perfect. In fact, it completely reminds of a Tram sound now, at least on my G3s. Also, I hear a lot less of the weird distant sound I had heard when I had originally placed it under clothing for my Lectro 200s. Could it be a wiring issue? Is it just because of the 200 series' automatic noise reduction features kicking in?

My original reasons for getting one is to save myself from the sound of stock mics like the ME2, which I despise. 801 definitely sounds better. Very nice and smooth. However, I'm still a little puzzled by the Tram sound. When putting one into a vampire clip—facing into the clip—the resulting waveform is very strange (I checked it afterwards, but noticed it during as well). It would suddenly peak on some words and go back to normal volume? Is this the HF boost that's associated with this clip-facing-in arrangement? If so, why would I ever use it in this way? Senator, you said in another thread I started (about HF boost with the Sanken RM-11 mount) that you like to put a bit of windscreen in between? Do you think some moleskin applied to the clip (on the inside) would help too?

Re king speech and Tram, the post guys must have done a great job with eq.
I hate the tram, they sound awful.

This is an issue. When miking talent as usual, using the tape-down clip or the vampire, the sound can be quite random. If I use a little EQ at my recorder, I can make the Tram sound more like the way it does in King's Speech. Very warm, smooth, high intelligibility. But the problem is...I don't like to use EQ on set. Are we stuck with this funky sound...and leave it to post to figure it out? Are there ways to improve the sound through placement? I'm asking more experienced Tram users than myself.

" Could it be a wiring issue? "
ya' think ?:?

I wish I could get a senny to lectro adapter now to see if there's now no problem at all with the 200 series.

" I don't like to use EQ on set."
that is subjective, and sometimes we gotta' do things we don't like...

I believe I will. Many of the amateurs I work with have no idea what EQ is. Just a little bit shouldn't be too much of a problem.

" Are there ways to improve the sound through placement? "
yeah... trial and error.

Is the peaky waveform accurate to what you first experienced with the Tram clip-facing-in? I don't know better, so I wanted to know if this is what is causing it. So putting something in the way should help? Regardless, I'll try and err at another test with some mole.

• 3 months later...

I like the TL40 so far. Sounds great mid-low chest and still sounds pretty good at neck line (talent subjective of course). Gotta be careful to secure the cable though. Cable rub noise seems a bit more pronounced than with other mics.

This. I have 2 TL-40's, and I'd agree about the cable noise. Nice sounding mics. They both seem to be affected by high-powered 2.4Ghz signals. I can't have them anywhere near my Zaxnet transmitter, or a wifi transmitter without them buzzing/fuzzing about.

This. I have 2 TL-40's, and I'd agree about the cable noise. Nice sounding mics. They both seem to be affected by high-powered 2.4Ghz signals. I can't have them anywhere near my Zaxnet transmitter, or a wifi transmitter without them buzzing/fuzzing about.

Justin are you using your TL-40s with Zaxcom TRX transmitters? Besides the Zaxnet issues do you also experience whining noise when connected to the TXs ?   

Some mixer friends of mine are complaining that the TL40s they've purchased more recently aren't as good of quality as they have been in the past. Bad connectors, poor quality elements, etc. even Coffey sound has reported a large percentage of them sold are brought back for returns or repairs. Sounds like the bubble poped on OST.

Justin are you using your TL-40s with Zaxcom TRX transmitters? Besides the Zaxnet issues do you also experience whining noise when connected to the TXs ?

I'm not getting a constant whine. I'll record some of the buzz I get if you want to have a listen...

That sounds like a bad ground or poor shielding. I've had that problem and they replaced the connector with a better one. I've also had an element go bad, it created a popping sound. They're good about fixing or exchanging. Getting a good one can be hit or miss, I just assumed it was the curse of using Sennheiser wireless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't see it as a major issue - the mics are really only affected while in very close proximity to the signal - and I use mine as backup anyway. I'll check the grounding but they don't pick up any junk from the digital UHF transmission (that they're connected to), just the Zaxnet antenna in my bag.

I don't see it as a major issue - the mics are really only affected while in very close proximity to the signal - and I use mine as backup anyway. I'll check the grounding but they don't pick up any junk from the digital UHF transmission (that they're connected to), just the Zaxnet antenna in my bag.

Yeah, I made the mistake of having my Comtek transmitter 4 or 5 inches from my Zaxnet antenna in my bag and I got a complaint of nasty noise through the Comtek receivers. Moving it to the other side of my bag, adding a foot of distance, resolved the interference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Received a TL-40 in the mail today. After a quick test, I'm happy to report no issues. Ordered it with the sennheiser locking connector and it arrived with a high quality Remote Audio gold connector. The cable does seem to transmit a fair amount of noise to the element, but otherwise I think it's a nice sounding mic.

Yeah, I made the mistake of having my Comtek transmitter 4 or 5 inches from my Zaxnet antenna in my bag and I got a complaint of nasty noise through the Comtek receivers. Moving it to the other side of my bag, adding a foot of distance, resolved the interference.

Yes, the Comteks (especially the old 72MHz models) were and are very susceptible to certain kinds of interference. I have to move my mobile xmitter around in my bag to try to minimize hum and noise under some conditions. The bigger rackmount Comteks don't have this problem nearly as bad, in my experience.

As to the OST mics: I just used five of the 801's (Tram equivalent) in a live show last week, and they were champs. The director was particularly complimentary of how clean everything was, in a less-than-optimum area. My biggest problem was dealing with on-air talent moving or removing mics inbetween setups. I'd much rather risk a very-economical OST mic than a $300 Sanken or Countryman under conditions like this.

" I'll do the key test against my G3's and hear for myself. "

a regular feature (blind test) of my classes, and it demonstrates two things:

for typical dialog the Senn Evo series are quite adequate for dialog,

and

there are reasons the expensive systems cost more...