Oscar Sound Tech-lavs Re-visited.

Rasmus Wedin

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's OST's website alright. Dave usually responds very quickly. dave at oscarsoundtech dot com

I believe the SK2000 uses the same connector as the SK100. 1/8" locking TRS plug.

Thanks, I'll try that mail too. No, SK2000 uses 3 pin lemo. I'd like to get in touch with him cause a guy at Sennheiser said there are different ways to wire that connection.

Speaking of OST Lavs, where would you order them if you were in Europe? I know they can be sent from US, but since there's a 'distributor' in my country they wont send it to me, and the distributor asks ridiculous prices for them...

Thats strange. I ordered one to Sweden last year from the Us, but it was faulty so I sent it back. Who is the dealer in Europe?

Edit: I think I found them. They want 279 Euro (363 USD) for the Tl-40? Wtf - thats bullshit.

Pro Sound Services in New York City is an Oscar SoundTech dealer. Their prices seem pretty close to OST's US direct prices. And it looks like PSS will ship internationally:

http://www.pro-sound.com

There are probably other dealers, perhaps one closer to you. But hope this helps...

Pro Sound Services in New York City is an Oscar SoundTech dealer. Their prices seem pretty close to OST's US direct prices. And it looks like PSS will ship internationally:

http://www.pro-sound.com

There are probably other dealers, perhaps one closer to you. But hope this helps...

Thanks Jim. Ordering from Pro-sound would be a MUCH better option, economicly.

I bought three TL-40s for a Sennheiser SK/EK system and never used them. Its a 3-pin lemo and according to Dave at OST they are wired for Sennheiser and Zaxcom.

Anyways, they are brand new and I'm selling them on eBay for less than list price.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1555.l2649

If cost were no object and sound quality was the main issue, I'd go with the Sanken's in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the projects I tend to get don't always give me that luxury. And, as I always like to say, The King's Speech was done with Tram lavs (essentially identical to Trams), and sounded great and was nominated for a BAFTA award for best sound. I don't think they sound as good as Sankens or Countryman mics, but I think they're still very, very good.

So true. King's Speech is a fantastic-sounding movie. John Midgley's use of trams in these high profile projects makes me re-think my Sankens sometimes....

Strange, though. Other times I've heard trams (by themselves) they sound kinda ech. Is it the mix of the tram's particular sound with boom microphones in King's Speech that gives it that great sound? So then when we hear trams, we should just assume it's going to be mixed with the boom and will sound awesome.

I bought three TL-40s for a Sennheiser SK/EK system and never used them. Its a 3-pin lemo and according to Dave at OST they are wired for Sennheiser and Zaxcom.

Anyways, they are brand new and I'm selling them on eBay for less than list price.

Yeah I saw your mail. I havn't responded yet because I just got a mail from Dave (from OST) saying that they "do not support the Sennheiser 2000 system." I know it's the 3-pin Lemo for the SK 2000, but maybe they're wired differently for Zaxcom and Sennheiser? Anybody know about this?

Edit: I was thinking of buying these for my 2000s and G3s to have maching mics for all my systems.

" So true. King's Speech is a fantastic-sounding movie. John Midgley's use of trams in these high profile projects makes me re-think my Sankens sometimes.... "
why??
<tiger>

Right on, Senator. I guess I better be more specific.

I think the Sankens sound very clear and transparent, but at the same time lack the warmth of the Trams. With regard to storytelling, perfect clarity isn't always the best thing.

But there's more to it than that. If you think about it, though we are production mixers and trying to grab as much clear audio as we can, our choices determine our "sound". Midgley's movies, whenever I watch (and listen) to one, always have a distinct sound to them. If someone else had mixed King's Speech it would've had a different sound. It wouldn't have sounded bad, but it also might not have sounded as unique.

Using Trams as the one's primary lavaliers could be one of the aspects of getting such a unique sound. Maybe I'm just a Tram guy versus a Sanken guy?

I guess I'm just trying to see how I can contribute to the story. Would trams help? It's just something I wonder. I also always think about how pricey the Sankens were. Equivalently, I could've gotten a few more Trams.

Sawrab

- Don't forget the ADR, EQ in dialogues and all audio processing in post.

I know what you mean. I've noticed, though, that somehow Midgley's movies always sound similar. Do they send it to the same post house? The same re-recording mixer?

Also, I think King's Speech is mostly production dialogue. After seeing it a few times, I started to hear the gating, the clothing noise, and other "production" sounds. Also, since he always uses lavaliers, most of his movies have a pretty lavalier-sound as well. Pretty tight. I'd figure they'd need to do less ADR since everyone's wired. He has said that he wires everyone, regardless, in interviews he's given.

I know what you mean. I've noticed, though, that somehow Midgley's movies always sound similar. Do they send it to the same post house? The same re-recording mixer?

I mean it might be a thing associated with UK post-houses, for example, and a certain sound they like.