Oscar Sound Tech-lavs Re-visited.

Rasmus Wedin

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@pampasound, I haven't used them on a job yet, but tested them out a bit yesterday and today on my G3's. Both TL-40's worked fine and sounded really nice to me. I compared them against a Sennheiser stock mic, and the difference was pretty clear. Stock mic sounded like it didn't have as much going on in the low mids and lower freq's. By contrast, the TL-40's sounded much fuller and well rounded. Also did a quick comparison against my Rode NTG-3 shotgun, and I feel like the TL-40's are MUCH closer to it than the stock mic.

After I've used these for a few months, if they hold up well I'll definitely get another pair. May try the 801's if I do that, but then again, the TL-40's are very small and easy to hide, so...don't know. Really good bang for the buck. One thing I think others have mentioned, is that the cable is thicker than most lavs. It would be a problem with a tight t-shirt, maybe, but I like the sense of durability. Seems more heavy duty than something like a B6 cable. I was working as an A2 on a reality shoot last month, and the B6 mics were dropping like flies over the course of 10 days. The gear was from a rental house in L.A., though, so the abuse factor may have played a part in that.

why be gentle, its rental...

LOTD, Senator! Yeah, we had 28 SMQV's to carry around, and they were just chucking them all in an un-padded Pelican case with B6's and COS-11's attached to rattle around. I ended up finding some bubble wrap at our base camp to try and be nicer to the gear and improvise some padding and separation. That was probably around $50,000 of gear just banging around in the case...

while the class can hear a difference between that system and a $3500 system with premium lav, generally they are about evenly split on which they prefer... that is for dialog, but then come the keys on a ring, and there is no question which is the $600 system.

I don't understand the point of the infamous "key test". I am recording dialog, not keys jangling. I mean, sure there might be some natural sound of keys jangling, but the boom is there to get that, and if its not good enough, some pretty easy Foley work will get it right. If a Sennheiser sounds good on dialog (which it does, to me, so far), that's a good thing. My biggest beef with my Sennheiser wireless so far is range and interference around RF reflective metal surfaces, such as aluminum. Anyway, thread hijack off...

I've got 5 or 6 of the TL-40 mics. They work great on my 500 and 700 series micron, SMV and 200 series Lectro. Why would anyone go for anything else.......? Well, since I have a few B6 mics, I will find use for the thinner and more easily hide-able countrymans. I found the TL-40 slightly brighter, though every mic placement changes frequency response so no matter. Dave has excellent customer service. One deciding factor for me was application specific, wiring the lav to provide audio directly to helmet mounted contour cameras in an extreme sport production.

Oh and priced to be almost disposable. My producers FREAK out when an actor destroys a COS-11 and they get the bill. The TL-40 solves this.

Good luck,

Eric

I've got TL40s, 802s, B6s, and just got Sankens. I am enjoying the Sankens a great deal but the reason I have different choices is that there isn't a "perfect" lav for every situation or type of wardrobe. They all have their pros and cons and its good to be able to try something different if your initial choice isn't working well.

I have a couple of each ( 801/TL40s ) which I bought on a whim... I like them alot and seem to be well put together. I actually was quite surprised by the sound quality for the price ( for any price ). Bright but still full and dialogue recorded with them holds up well in the mix.