What would you ask Sound Devices?

AudioSheik

L, R, X1 and X2 tracks can be played back to all balanced and unbalanced L, R, X1 X2 analog outputs, the AES outputs and the HP outputs. All tracks L, R, X1, X2 and ISOs 1-6 (or 1-12 with CL-6) can be routed in any combination to the 8 AES outputs and HP outputs via routing matrixes

Paul

Thanks that's great the headphone and AES ouput matrix is very handily flexible for playback as well then. When you say 'in any combination' does this mean one can send more than one iso to a single AES output, say for example iso's 3-5 to AES 1? Or is it just a single ISO to a single AES?

Sorry I should have phrased my digital mic question better, when using digital mics have the analog inputs got variable delay to enable them to be matched to the digital mic delay, like on the 788T?

thanks

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have gone back and forth on this and likely because I was using the SD552 for a while. The trim and fader are sort of crammed on CH1 of the SD552 and started using CH5 as it was easier to operate

The 664 chassis has more space for Ch1's trim and fader.

Nice suggestion re swapping ch1 and ch6 in the bwf!

Thanks that's great the headphone and AES ouput matrix is very handily flexible for playback as well then. When you say 'in any combination' does this mean one can send more than one iso to a single AES output, say for example iso's 3-5 to AES 1?

Yes

Sorry I should have phrased my digital mic question better, when using digital mics have the analog inputs got variable delay to enable them to be matched to the digital mic delay, like on the 788T?

Not yet. We're thinking about adding it.

- Will the unit ship with Pre-Roll capability, and if so, how many seconds?

- Will Mix Assist be implemented in a future update?

- Is there any future possibility of implementing Post-Fader Iso tracks?

- Any word on official availability dates?

The box is PreRoll capable, but it probably will not be available in rev 1.0, but will come shortly thereafter. PreRoll will be up to 5 seconds.

Because the mixing is all analog, MixAssist is not a possibility.

Recording ISOs Posfade is already in the firmware. Selectable in the input channel setup screen.

Dealers should be getting their demo units by the beginning of next week. End user orders should start shipping by the end of the month.

The box is PreRoll capable, but it probably will not be available in rev 1.0, but will come shortly thereafter. PreRoll will be up to 5 seconds.

Because the mixing is all analog, MixAssist is not a possibility.

Recording ISOs Posfade is already in the firmware. Selectable in the input channel setup screen.

Dealers should be getting their demo units by the beginning of next week. End user orders should start shipping by the end of the month.

Thanks for the answers Matt. I didn't realize it can do Post Fade Iso already. I watched part of the Trew Audio video and Glen mentioned pre-fade to Iso tracks only. But having both post and prefade iso is great news.

Interesting regarding the file structure, looks like it is outlined on Page 27 of the User Guide, wonder if the same as 788.

I asked this in previous thread. File structure is the same. You'll be able to pull card from 788T on cart and put it into 664 in an insert car, for example.

If it's not too late, this is another vote for the "why no 96/24?" and, more importantly, "is that something that can or might be upgraded in the future via firmware upgrade?"

We should check the transcript, but I believe last night at Gotham Jon said, "presently 96/24 is not supported". He used the word presently several times in answers to questions.

This is a 664 thread, but the heading says ask Sound Devices, so here goes.

Would it be possible to implement a mute/unmute function on one of the 788 (and/or 664's) outputs linked to the record/stop buttons? So when recording, the output transmits, but is muted when the the stop button is pushed? I don't know if it is technically possible, but it would be huge for me and many mixers that I know.

Currently I turn my Comtek transmitter off between takes to protect the privacy of the director giving notes to the actors, but obviously having to remember to turn it on again, then off again adds an extra step to my workflow and of course I've forgotten before which really upsets everyone listening to the Comtek feed.

Thank you Sound Devices for constantly improving the 788 through firmware updates and I love my 788 especially with the CL-wifi (which has changed my workflow for the better and improved my life on set by simplifying production notes for me).

Not having to worry about one more thing between takes and before makes it that much easier for me to concentrate on other things, like the mix.

Thanks!

Jon

Jon,

Don't think it would be possible, because that would require a switch of some sort in the output -- which obviously doesn't exist in the hardware.

That said, using the GPIO in the DE-15 connector on the back, it wouldn't be that hard to cook up a little box that would use a relay to cut the audio when the 788 isn't recording.

Jon,

Don't think it would be possible, because that would require a switch of some sort in the output -- which obviously doesn't exist in the hardware.

That said, using the GPIO in the DE-15 connector on the back, it wouldn't be that hard to cook up a little box that would use a relay to cut the audio when the 788 isn't recording.

Matt:

Would it be possible when using 664 with CL6 to assign the X1/X2 outputs to an unused fader? That way the audio routed to IFB via the X1/X2 output could be potted down?

Matt:

Would it be possible when using 664 with CL6 to assign the X1/X2 outputs to an unused fader? That way the audio routed to IFB via the X1/X2 output could be potted down?

Dan,

That is already possible on the 664.

In the Main meter screen, using the "Select" encoder (left knob under the LCD) rotate until the X1 or X2 (they can be linked as well) track designator is highlighted. Press the Encoder and turn to change the X1/X2 level. Attenuation range is 0dB to -30dB. The last position is "Off".

This same procedure is used to change the main output level (beyond selecting Mic/-10/Line) and to set the Return Input trim.

Dan,

That is already possible on the 664.

In the Main meter screen, using the "Select" encoder (left knob under the LCD) rotate until the X1 or X2 (they can be linked as well) track designator is highlighted. Press the Encoder and turn to change the X1/X2 level. Attenuation range is 0dB to -30dB. The last position is "Off".

This same procedure is used to change the main output level (beyond selecting Mic/-10/Line) and to set the Return Input trim.

That's great, thanks! But can't assign to a fader? Just thinking in regards to what Jon asked about quickly turning off IFB feed, if the output could be assigned to a fader (as opposed to option w/i menu) it would be a quick move.

That's great, thanks! But can't assign to a fader? Just thinking in regards to what Jon asked about quickly turning off IFB feed, if the output could be assigned to a fader (as opposed to option w/i menu) it would be a quick move.

Good suggestion! But just so you know, you dont have to dig into a menu....Just leave X1X2 highlighted in the main screen, then all you have to do is press and quick turn the encoder. Takes about 1/2 second!

Paul

Good suggestion! But just so you know, you dont have to dig into a menu....Just leave X1X2 highlighted in the main screen, then all you have to do is press and quick turn the encoder. Takes about 1/2 second!

Paul

Just trying to think of things to be done w/ additional CL6 faders, no way in #*$* I'm carrying 12 receivers :) I love the option of having the rec/stop button and additional meters for the L/R and X1/X2 outputs.

Any thoughts of maybe offering a small add-on with REC/STOP and L/R&X1/X2 meters without the additional faders? CLMETER? :)

Thanks to you and everyone at SD for addressing these questions so quickly before release!

Interesting ideas about assigning CL6 faders for other purposes. It's reminded me that many cameras have dedicated 'Assign' buttons to which a whole variety of functions can be chosen by the operator to be assigned as a kind of high speed shortcut for what is important to that particular operator or circumstances. I've not seen that on a sound recorder as yet...... but it could be very nice.......