Can anyone give me any info on my boom pole?

bbstar1122

Hi guys. I'm new here on the forums and am looking to pick up filming and audio, mostly as a hobby though. The reason is because my friends and I are looking to open up a youtube channel to post videos and stuff. So we basically are looking into getting some audio and video equipment.

Well the first thing I have is a boom pole. My aunt gave it to me after I told her of my new hobby. Apparently, my uncle was a sound guy for a local tv station in my city and had this left over. I'm not sure what model it is though. It says K-tek on it and has 4 sections. Any more info you guys can give me on it (like the model and how it works basically) will be appreciated. Thanks.

Here are some pics.

20121002_222403.jpg

20121002_222344.jpg

I'm not sure what model it is though. It says K-tek on it and has 4 sections. Any more info you guys can give me on it (like the model and how it works basically) will be appreciated. Thanks.

The model shouldn't be too difficult to figure out... the "how it works" part will not be so easy. If this is really just a hobby, I would suggest trying to visit a set where a boom operator is using a fishpole --- this will give you a much better idea. If you are not able to visit a set, try and look at some "behind the scenes" videos to see this very common K-Tek fishpole in use. I don't know what else to suggest.

Why do you need to know the model? And like Jeff said it is easy to figure out how to use - it isn't brain surgery.

Well, actually, Jack, I was trying to say that it will NOT be so easy to figure out how to use it --- even veteran boom operators are still fine tuning their skill. My suggestion to watch videos was just to give a general idea of what a fishpole is used for. From the original post, it is difficult to really tell where "bbstar1122" is coming from (other than being nameless and embarking on a hobby that involves "filming and audio".

Hard to tell from that picture, but the cable coming out of the top (the skinnier end) should have a 'knot' tied in it so that when fully extended it does not pull back thru the pole. Search YouTube for a video on how to untangle internally wired boom poles - that will tell you how to make that knot if it isn't already there.

Aside from that, you're a little short on a full kit :) Rent a mic and zeppelin system, put it all together and start messing around. You'll also need an XLR cable to feed whatever it is you're feeding (mixer, recorder, camera, etc). Put on some headphones and listen to what you're pointing it at. Listen for what works and what doesn't.

There's a lot of answers on this site, but right now I'm not sure you know the questions. I suggest reading for a few weeks and then figuring out what your next questions should be.

The pole is by K-Tek, located near San DiegoL http://ktekbooms.com/, and is a highly respected pole for professional use. The pole is still made, and parts are available. Yours has an internal coiled cable, which is probably the most popular configuration in the US (internal cable vs external cable vs straight cable are largely regional preferences).

I'm sure your uncle would be happy that you are interested.

Glen Trew

http://ktekbooms.com...sic-boom-poles/

Look at the chart and find your lengths (min. & max.), and you'll learn the model number.

NOTE: Yours is a 5 section pole and a CC version.

As far as knowing how to boom, mount a mic in a good suspension onto the pole. Position it over the person(s) talking and listen.

In a few minutes, you can be booming.

In many, many years you could be booming well.

Hi and welcome...

we missed you here on Friday

" . It says K-tek on it and has 4 sections. "

google k-tek boom pole

then you can contact them for more specific information.

I think you need some books, which have been discussed and listed here frequently....

do some reading on the site, do some searching on the site (be sure to set the search to "forums".

there are several different threads about booming, booms, etc.

" how it works basically) "

put a microphone on it, and connect it, then hold the pole with the mic pointed towards the sound you want to record.

Edited by studiomprd

http://www.perchman....enboom_en_1.php

http://www.glennbach...rr_boom_art.pdf

Be aware that reading articles on how to become a good boom operator is kind of like trying to read a book and learning how to ride a unicycle. A lot of it boils down to life experience, good timing, observing people, knowing where the camera is, understanding lighting, knowing the limitations of different microphones, and having good endurance. It also helps to think a step ahead and have great people skills.

Watching a great boom op at work is like watching a master dancer perform their art. I think it takes years and years just to become "OK" as a boom op, and that's far from being a great one. I also think it's harder than ever today to be a boom op, because the number of cameras has increased on many shoots, plus the length of takes has increased, requiring much more stamina than in years past. A boom op often makes or breaks the efficiency of the sound department, in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. Much appreciated.

Haven't checked in lately. Long story short, I was involved in a car accident and have since been going to physical therapy. Car was totaled and health insurance only covers a certain percentage of therapy. So sadly, it looks like I might be selling the boom pole and some other equipment I have in order to meet the bills. :(