A love story: Zaxcom's ZaxNet used on “Blue Lagoon: The Awakening” in Maui

Brian Kaurich

bl01.jpg

I was looking at some photos today and felt I should share my experience using Zaxcom's ZaxNet on the Lifetime movie, “Blue Lagoon: The Awakening.” I have been using Zaxcom gear on all of my projects for a couple years now and not long ago I started taking advantage of the benefits that ZaxNet provides. This project was filmed in March 2012.

During my first conversation with the post department for this movie, I was told that they would be providing me with four timecode lock-it boxes (2 for cameras, 1 for my recorder, & 1 backup). I was able to talk them into letting me use my Zaxcom ERX1TCDs on the cameras with ZaxNet providing timecode from my recorder. Originally, I was hired for the first ten days in LA and then a local mixer was going to take over for the rest of the shoot in Maui. The post department decided, during production, that they didn't want any changes to be made so my boom operator and I were brought to Maui with only a few days notice.

bl02.jpg

My sound bag on the island contained a Zaxcom Fusion 12, two QRX100s, MicPlexer, IFB100, and a Comtek BST-75/216 transmitter. Wireless used were two Zaxcom TRX900LTH transmitters and a TRX942 for the boom. The bag was powered by NP-1 batteries with the Remote Audio BDSv4 & RM volt meter. I removed the knobs from the Fusion because they tend to come loose from constant use and I didn't want to lose any. This bag was put together with the knowledge that all the scenes in Maui involved only two actors on a deserted island.

bl03.jpg

My boom operator, Aaron Eschenburg, loves using the TRX942 transceiver. He enjoys having the ability to choose to hear my mix or just his microphone, directly from the unit. There were also times when he was able to run ahead with the production, record the audio for a quick shot on the TRX942(with timecode from ZaxNet), and then I was able to transfer the microSD card and add the file to the audio folder.

bl04.jpg

I packed extremely light because I was warned that the locations were going to be rough. That was everything.

bl05.jpg

This was only a small part of our journey to get to the main waterfall location.

bl06.jpg

The TRX942 transceiver was kept in a small waterproof sack. ZaxNet allowed me to adjust the gain remotely when it was in the sack so Aaron could focus on other things, like not falling in the water. Needless to say, waterfalls are LOUD.

bl09.jpg

ZaxNet was extremely useful because of the rough terrain. There were times when, due to safety concerns or forgetfulness, I just couldn't get to the slates to re-jam them. ZaxNet saved me because the ERXs on the cameras were always receiving the correct wireless timecode transmission from my recorder through the IFB100. The jungle and water never made it easy to get to the actors for adjustments so ZaxNet was also a huge help with wirelessly adjusting the gain on their transmitters.

bl07.jpg

My wireless in Maui were on block 21 and this led to some occasional hits on the body packs. I was able to save the takes by transferring the direct recordings from the transmitters. The direct recordings always had timecode from ZaxNet and production never had to stop for the sound department. Here, boom op Aaron Eschenburg ducks below the sand-line to get the boom in close while the actors watch the sunset.

Using Zaxcom equipment in Maui, especially with ZaxNet, was a wonderful experience for me.

-Brian

Thanks for sharing. I would also like to hear the side of the story from the post team who dealt with all the various recordings and sources. Did it all lock up well with the Zaxnet timecode? Were there ever "zaxnet drop outs"? No one would notice those and they could potentially cause timecode issues.

Just wondering if it's a good system for everybody down the chain.

I can only speak from my experience but I have used ZaxNet on several movies that employed the same post-production sound facility and there were never any complaints or mention of issues. There can be range issues when trying to adjust gain remotely if the transmitter is too far away. Timecode stays in sync since each wireless unit has an internal generator that it will switch to if it gets out of range, then back to ZaxNet when it is in range. I believe I read somewhere that the internal generator used in each wireless unit is the same used in the Fusion/Deva, but I could be mistaken.

Thanks for sharing. I would also like to hear the side of the story from the post team who dealt with all the various recordings and sources. Did it all lock up well with the Zaxnet timecode? Were there ever "zaxnet drop outs"? No one would notice those and they could potentially cause timecode issues.

The great feature of Zaxnet distribution of timecode to Zaxcom devices (like the transmitters and receivers) is that each of these independent devices have their own timecode generator --- so, it is like having the best of both worlds, the equivalent of a lockit box on the camera (or the "other" recorder that is in the transmitter) that is jammed wirelessly whenever it is in range of Zaxnet transmission. In most scenarios, the other devices will be in wireless range for the equivalent of continuous jam --- if there are any "zaxnet drop outs" they most likely will be brief and will not cause any timecode issues. Even if out of range for extended period, this is no different than a slate or a lockit box that would need to be re-jammed after lunch for example.

I believe I read somewhere that the internal generator used in each wireless unit is the same used in the Fusion/Deva, but I could be mistaken.

Not quite. The ERX's have a clock that is accurate to 1 frame in 6 hours (close to the Deva spec), the TRX's clock is accurate to 1 frame per hour. When receiving timecode via Zaxnet, there is a frame variance of something like .1% - put simply, if they're in range, you're good!

Not quite. The ERX's have a clock that is accurate to 1 frame in 6 hours (close to the Deva spec), the TRX's clock is accurate to 1 frame per hour. When receiving timecode via Zaxnet, there is a frame variance of something like .1% - put simply, if they're in range, you're good!

But you need to add that if they are out of range for a moment (since the other poster was concerned about what he called "Zaxnet dropout") once back in range you will have proper accuracy of the timecode.

But you need to add that if they are out of range for a moment (since the other poster was concerned about what he called "Zaxnet dropout") once back in range you will have proper accuracy of the timecode.

+1

I have erx1tcds or even TRX900LA going out of range all the time. Never had a problem...

• 4 weeks later...

Great post indeed. Brian mentionned that when the tx get out of range there is an issue with adjusting gain with zaxnet obviously. When tx get back in range does it adjust to the gain command previously made by zaxnet or you have to make another one? Like if i adjust a pot that s assigned to tx gain when it s outta range will it adjust once it gets the signal again?

Great post indeed. Brian mentionned that when the tx get out of range there is an issue with adjusting gain with zaxnet obviously. When tx get back in range does it adjust to the gain command previously made by zaxnet or you have to make another one? Like if i adjust a pot that s assigned to tx gain when it s outta range will it adjust once it gets the signal again?

Good question!

I somehow doubt it stores gain changes. It'd be pretty bad if the gain suddenly changed in the middle of a mix.

Good question!

I somehow doubt it stores gain changes. It'd be pretty bad if the gain suddenly changed in the middle of a mix.

It doesn't store 'gain up or gain down' commands from a QRX or IFB100 - there's no defined level like there is with a knob, it's just up or down from the current position. As for gain level storing when set by a fader on one of the recorders or Mix's, I'm not sure as I don't have one. Could be interesting if it did (in a bad way) but I'd guess on the side that you would have to 'twiddle' the gain knob a bit when back in range and then it would make the change...Anyone with a Mix8/Mix12/Zax remote gaining TX's recorder wanna chime in?

i have to say that stories like this are great to read. The concept of a fully integrated system with the possibility of removing a gain stage from the chain ( the gain at the mixer in bethween the Receiver out and the mixer in when using a fully digital system ) is really great.

A question, since there is no gain adjustment in bethween Receiver out and mixer in ( i assume ) when using digital signal path, what happens when the bodypack is out of zaxnet range ( which i have been told is usually before the actual RF audio range is cutting out ) and you need to make a gain ( not a fader ) adjustment? Iis not the pack gain the only pre fader adjustment left in that configuration? If yes, how are the guys using bag setup dealing with extending the Zaxnet range?

Thank you

It doesn't store 'gain up or gain down' commands from a QRX or

Also another thing to watch out for (at least on the Nomad). Say you manually change frequency on the pack at the beginning of the day (not through zaxnet commands.) In your zaxnet adjustment page the frequency displayed won't automatically update. Not a problem and all will work fine. But later if you accidentally click on the frequency adjust and click enter instead of the back button, it will change the frequency of the Trx back to its old number. I did this once during a take while trying to just change the gain. Now I always make sure to change the freq through zaxnet even if I have the trx right in front of me. Having the numbers start out matched avoids possible accidents throughout the day.

It doesn't store 'gain up or gain down' commands from a QRX or IFB100 - there's no defined level like there is with a knob, it's just up or down from the current position. As for gain level storing when set by a fader on one of the recorders or Mix's, I'm not sure as I don't have one. Could be interesting if it did (in a bad way) but I'd guess on the side that you would have to 'twiddle' the gain knob a bit when back in range and then it would make the change...Anyone with a Mix8/Mix12/Zax remote gaining TX's recorder wanna chime in?

When using a fader on the nomad for tx gain, it only sends the command once. If your tx is out of range the change doesn't happen when it comes back into range. However because the fader has a finite range, the next time you make an adjustment there could be a jump in gain because the fader is sending a specific gain level not a +/-1 command.

Wandering Ear