SD 702T & Tascam HD-P2

redge

Philip,

Newfoundland and Labrador in August, and the Middle East in January, are not "nasty environments".

In both cases, the weather is glorious, although I'll admit I've walked out on the balcony that time of year in Jerusalem, early in the morning, to discover pockets of frost and ice. But I'm not sure that I would call that "nasty".

I want you to know that Canada is not a third world country. This means that Newfoundland and Labrador have electricity. Indeed, Newfoundland and Labrador and Quebec have so much of it that they make quite a lot of money selling it to the northeastern US.

My concern is neither a "nasty environment" nor lack of power, but rather that I want a higher level of confidence in my gear, in Gros Morne National Park or Labrador City or Amman or Wadi Rum or somewhere in the Negev, than I might require in Halifax or Tel Aviv or  Montreal or San Francisco.

Beyond that, there are other reasons which should be clear from this thread why I am prepared to do something as apparently thick as spend $2400 instead of $900.

In good humour,

Cheers.

Philip,

Newfoundland and Labrador in August, and the Middle East in January, are not "nasty environments".

In both cases, the weather is glorious, although I'll admit I've walked out on the balcony that time of year in Jerusalem, early in the morning, to discover pockets of frost and ice. But I'm not sure that I would call that "nasty".

I want you to know that Canada is not a third world country. This means that Newfoundland and Labrador have electricity. Indeed, Newfoundland and Labrador and Quebec have so much of it that they make quite a lot of money selling it to the northeastern US.

My concern is neither a "nasty environment" nor lack of power, but rather that it is harder to replace a recorder, on short notice, in Corner Brook orAmman or Wadi Rum or somewhere in the Negev than it is in Halifax or Tel Aviv or  Montreal or San Francisco.

For that reason, I want to use gear in which I have a lot of confidence.  I have confidence in the SD 702T.

In good humour,

Cheers.

I'm glad to hear that you will be visiting such pleasant locations.  With recorders being (relatively) cheap and small, there is no excuse not to have a backup, whether you are shooting in your living room or at the North Pole.

Philip Perkins

Philip,

It looks like I was posting an edited version of my post, intended to avoid this debate, at the same time as you were responding.

About a week ago, you told me in another thread that I should have a backup recorder. That was good advice. In response, I said that I will have one chance to get the footage in Newfoundland and that I will not only have a backup recorder, I will have a backup camera.

What I'm telling you is that the primary recorder will be a 702T and that the backup recorder will be a 702T rented for that particular 6-8 days.

Best regards.

Philip,

It looks like I was posting an edited version of my post, intended to avoid this debate, at the same time as you were responding.

About a week ago, you told me in another thread that I should have a backup recorder. That was good advice. In response, I said that I will have one chance to get the footage in Newfoundland and that I will not only have a backup recorder, I will have a backup camera.

What I'm telling you is that the primary recorder will be a 702T and that the backup recorder will be a 702T rented for that particular 6-8 days.

Best regards.

Sounds great--maybe could even run the 702s as a 4 track if you needed to.  What will you do about getting the audio off the cards in the field, or will you bother until you're done? 

Philip Perkins

Oleg,

We'll certainly be in Jerusalem and it would be fun to meet.  I was last there January 2003 and I'm looking forward to returning.  The idea for the film comes from discussions with a woman I know who spends a lot of time in the desert and who has been working on a book about the Bedouin.  It will indeed be dry, but at least we won't have to worry about humidity and background noise :)

Some very positive comments about the Tascam from a Director of Photography who has just finished a feature film in New Orleans:  http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/lofiversion/index.php?t13094.html

This is a comment and a question NOT specifically about the Tascam but about the cinematography.com site. I have spent some time at that forum but I never noticed this statement on the site: "This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here." Your link was to the Lo-Fi display which is so much cleaner and nicer than the "full version". The full version does indeed offer "more information, formatting and images" but it is in the form of advertising and lots of cute emoticons and so forth. Does everyone like this sort of thing? I put it as one of my high priorities to not have this forum be cluttered with all that nonsense.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

This is a comment and a question NOT specifically about the Tascam but about the cinematography.com site. I have spent some time at that forum but I never noticed this statement on the site: "This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here." Your link was to the Lo-Fi display which is so much cleaner and nicer than the "full version". The full version does indeed offer "more information, formatting and images" but it is in the form of advertising and lots of cute emoticons and so forth. Does everyone like this sort of thing? I put it as one of my high priorities to not have this forum be cluttered with all that nonsense.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Absolutely, and I promise to buy you a drink over this if I ever have the privilege of meeting you.  I hate those DV.Com style sites with the thumbnail of an article that you then have to move somewhere else to read on a page crowded w/ ads.  I find that site, as well the one you mention and 2pop etc very difficult to navigate, especially if one is drilling down to read all that one can about a particular topic.  Even RAMPS is easier to deal with, and this site is even more straightforward still. 

Philip Perkins

(...) Does everyone like this sort of thing? I put it as one of my high priorities to not have this forum be cluttered with all that nonsense.

I don't.

I like this forum's look very much. It's simple and relaxing. (plus it's quite smart feature-wise) Thanks for it!

I don't.

I like this forum's look very much. It's simple and relaxing. (plus it's quite smart feature-wise) Thanks for it!

Thank you for the support. It was very important to me to make this simple and clean. I am actually quite surprised at some of the forum software that is out there, for example the Invision Power Board that is being used by the cinematography.com people, because it is messy, garish and cumbersome, AND cost $180 (US) for a full site license! The Simple Machines Forum software I am using here, SMF, is FREE, open source PHP.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler