Large wireless installation...

curleysound

The network I am employed at is likely to be moving in a few months. The building they are leasing is huge, like 50,000 square feet, and they are setting it up as a "working studio" which means they want to be able to shoot anywhere at a moments notice, unabated, and have it all go direct to hard disk in our control room. The cameras are all on SDI cables,so they are putting drop stations everywhere. My question to all of you is what options do I have to get our lectro VRM unit to stretch to all of these stations? I imagine placing antennas everywhere is doable, but has anyone here actually done such an installation? I'd love to hear some words of wisdom and caution on this.

Thanks,

Tom

If they are cabling the cameras, can they drop 2 or 4 audio lines @ each spot w/ the video?  Cat5 ought to work.  Then the RX would be local to the shoot where the camera is.  This is probably not what they want to hear.  Are they thinking that sound can all be done from an MCR, without a sound person on the set?

Philip Perkins

Pretty much the Control Room situation is what they're looking for. I suppose that the receivers could be on the cameras, and audio could travel down the SDI path, but I don't know if those can handle 4 tracks or more? We do band interviews sometimes which puts us up to 6 tracks or more. I think that a building wide antenna array would be the best way to go for flexibility sake, but linking them together is something beyond my experience.

Pretty much the Control Room situation is what they're looking for. I suppose that the receivers could be on the cameras, and audio could travel down the SDI path, but I don't know if those can handle 4 tracks or more? We do band interviews sometimes which puts us up to 6 tracks or more. I think that a building wide antenna array would be the best way to go for flexibility sake, but linking them together is something beyond my experience.

I like the RX on the camera idea.  The installed deal you are talking about will be expensive.  You'll probably need to hire a consultant.

Philip Perkins

How about something like a PSC RF MultiMax, some lectro inline rf amps and maybe a few ham-style antenna switches to cut off the antennas not needed at the time?

Run heavy gauge coax to your antenna drops, mount a few carefully placed paddles and off you go.

Bandpass filters placed inline, specific to your blocks, would also help keep non-related rf to a minimum and give you a more usable signal at the end of long runs.

Quite a few of the house-based reality shows I've done have been set up in a similar manner.

Tie lines with the receivers at the shooting point like Philip suggested would be optimal, but since when has 'optimal' ever been our norm? ;)

I'll bet other networks etc have done this already--I'd try to find out who they used to set it up.  They will have already done the research and will know about gear that we normally wouldn't run across.  They also will likely have the equipment to find trouble spots and test the rig before you go live with it. 

Philip Perkins

Instead of piggy-backing audio cable on the video line drops, can the video lines be installed with 50 Ohm cable as well? Then you can drop antennae near the camera rigs. I would assume you would need an amplifier (Lectro UFM230?) on each run to compensate for the longest distances. At 50,000 square feet, if your stage is a square, then you're talking about 225 ft. by 225 ft. (The longest run at the diagonal would be 316 ft.) Depending on where you are and what kind of RF is in your area, this might be doable. Here in NY, with so much RF, that distance would really start to stretch the reliability of that setup - and probably wouldn't work.

Josh

• 1 month later...