Senn G3 as camera hop, a wiring question

OmahaAudio

Has anyone thought to build a cable with in line variable attenuation or switching of ring to sleeve, in the case of the sennheiser units, and panning?

I can think of a dozen occasions, where the panning option would have been convenient. I opted to instead build a TA3 to 3.5mm stereo splitter cable and swap out when needed. I couldn't find a small enough 3 way switch, at the time.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this wiring thread as I'm currently trying to cheap out on a second private comms feed that's bag based.

Using a G3 transmitter with IEM RX for my boom op anyway, feeding the 788T's slate mic to both the main comteks and his G3. Now I want to add another mic that feeds only the boom op's G3.

A cheap solution - if it works - would be connecting his feed to the ring and a mic to the tip of the G3 input.

Anybody tried this? Is it worth a few minutes of soldering?

I have read these threads that also have significant info about G3 wiring but not about double use:

Another cheap solution is:

send mic level out of the 788T output, and passively sum them.

I would like to not add another box that needs powering.

Hi all!

This tech note from Sound Devices might be interesting if you want to add a summed mono output to your 302 tape out while keeping the L and R outs:

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/mixers/302/302-tech-note-adding-a-mono-mic-level-output/

The document includes schematics and resistor values for both mic and tape levels.

• 1 year later...

The link seems to be dead. I'm making a standard TRS jack to summed G3 line level input. Have any of you had any luck with this wiring without any in line pading?

Standard stereo source:

• Tip - hot
  • Ring - cold
  • Sleeve - ground

G3 line input:

• Tip - ground
  • Ring - hot+cold
  • Sleeve - ground

Wait... what? You want to feed a 'L' signal to go out to boom op, and a 'R' signal to go to client? I don't think you can have a G3 transmitter (belt pack) fed a stereo signal and have it transmit left to an IEM for director and right to boom op IEM. I don't think they work that way. The base station has a proper L/R input and can send a stereo signal, and it is possible then to have one set of IEMs receive the L and another set receive the R. Lots of people here in the UK have that setup. But I don't believe the belt pack has that option. It isn't "stereo", it's balanced mono. I'd love to be corrected if I am wrong.

You are absolutely correct RP. The SK series transmitters are mono, however they can feed the IEMs receiver a mono signal and the HDX compander (noise reduction) is compatible. In order to do what the OP desires, a complete SW300 system would be needed, which has separate L&R inputs on the x-mitter and the receivers allow the user to select, stereo or a mix or the two, for instance a vocal / instrument mix.

If feeding an G2/3 SK100 series bodypack transmitter, 3.5mm plug's the ring terminal is line level, though it will likely distort with full +4dB program material, so a 10 or so dB L-pad is recommended.  The SR300 IEM transmitter handles inputs to 22dBu.