Anyone using X2Pro software for FCPX to Pro Tools export?

TRCS

Trying to help my brother with some post production mixing on his videos and just found out FCPX doesn't export OMF. Just curious if anyone has tried the www.x2pro.net software and how well it works between X and PT9/10. Also, is the LE version worth getting or should I jump to the Pro version at twice the price?

Tried adding this question to a thread at gearslutz but my thread got moved over to a small sub-forum that doesn't get much action! Appreciate the feedback!

Hmm, well maybe my brother hasn't updated it recently. I will look into it ASAP! Thanks

Edit: Yeah he has the latest version and the only export option it has is XML which is what the X2Pro program uses to covert to an AAF that you can import to Pro Tools...

Any other ideas in the cheap realm would be nice! Don't mind purchasing X2Pro if it WORKS well.

Thanks again

Yeah automatic duck is now free but the version for FCPX doesn't work anymore- try dropped all their support and made it free for older versions.

Think we're gunna go ahead with the x2pro... At least you can see they're answering questions online and seem to have decent support. Haha

Cheers

Well, we bought the LE version of X2Pro and I wasn't with my brother while he converted FCPX's XML to and AAF. He said it was easy and it worked as expected while importing into Pro Tools! Looking forward to learning/working out a post production workflow! Thanks again guys

• 2 months later...

Having a similar situation here.....having to move a massive amount of audio into protools. I'll probably getting the LE version but wonder how to export 'handles'. Is that possible at all? Anybody found an economical way to do that?

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty sure the handles are indefinite- meaning you get the whole file trimmed back. The non LE version allows you to create handles that are shorter allowing you to save disk space (speeds up transfer times)... hasn't been as issue for me since I'm mainly working on shorts... I find there is tons of sorting to do once you import the tracks... It definitely has room for improvement, but it allows my video editor to continue using FCX for now...

Yes I've used X2Pro. I did have one problem though. When you export or whatever it's called in FCPX the project, you have to make sure it's complete or do it on hdd it is stored on? It was something like that. When I tried to duplicate the project the X2Pro thing didn't work properly and I thought I had wasted a lot of money. However when I duplicated the project properly it worked properly. 

With that said, I really wish I had spoken to the director beforehand and told him to stay the hell away from FCPX. There've been a multitude of problems besides just exporting to Pro Tools. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm surprised people are actually using FCPX?! Have they ironed out all the issues that everybody screamed so much about when it first came out?

It's getting better, mostly thanks to third-party software such as the one mentioned in this thread. Still lame, imo. Of course, I always liked Avid better than FCP7. Premiere's got its advantages though thanks to its close relationship with After Effects. 

To the original question, X2Pro seems pretty reliable now. Another alternative for editors with both FCPX and FCP7 (and a need to move back from X to 7):

Buy Xto7 for $50, and use it to export from FCPX to FCP7. Then from FCP7 export an OMF.

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/Xto7/

But X2Pro is more direct.

As for FCPX:

My friend Logan Kelsey has been an editor for 15ish years (and a camera guy for several years before that) and he uses FCPX for most of his work now (mostly high-end corporate and branding...nice work). He started as an Avid editor, then bought a Media 100 system to go out on his own, then moved to FCP fairly early. Now he's using FCPX for longer and longer work. Been a long-time After Effects user, and is fine round-tripping between FCPX and AE (and Resolve).

Now for short stuff he shoots on his RED Scarlet (Epic coming soon), edits at 4K on his MacBook Pro (connected to a RAID and external monitor). For longer stuff and stuff shot by other people on other cameras, he still uses proxies or ProRes.

He makes a good living with his work; really nice house in Mill Valley, raising his family. He's neither a student nor a hobbyist. And FCPX is doing the job for him. Wouldn't do it for me, but it does for him. Huh.

Here's something short but pretty nice he made recently. Ya, the audio needs work. Besides that, I like it:

• 2 weeks later...

Buy Xto7 for $50, and use it to export from FCPX to FCP7. Then from FCP7 export an OMF.

I tried this but I couldn't get it to work properly. Perhaps our FCPX timeline was too complex (X's "compound clips" cause a lot problems in the conversions, from what I've experienced). Waste. Of. Money. 

Do they give out demos/trials of these softwares? It'd be nice to know if they work at all.... 

I tried this but I couldn't get it to work properly. Perhaps our FCPX timeline was too complex (X's "compound clips" cause a lot problems in the conversions, from what I've experienced). Waste. Of. Money. 

Do they give out demos/trials of these softwares? It'd be nice to know if they work at all.... 

Sawrab

They post their manual online, and on the main product page they post a link to the help file and  mention to check the list of what translates and what doesn't. And that PDF talks about dealing with compound clips, mono audio channels, etc.

Also note the 100% guarantee called out with a flurby:

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/guarantee.html

Every piece of software from Intelligent Assistance comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not happy with your purchase, deactivate it and we will refund your purchase price.

The only “condition” is that we ask you to explain what you were expecting and how we fell short, so we can improve the software.

That’s it. We want you to be satisfied with your purchase and if you’re not, you get your money back.

I saw one of the developers at NAB this week. So if you follow up with them, give them a couple days to respond.

To the original question, X2Pro seems pretty reliable now. Another alternative for editors with both FCPX and FCP7 (and a need to move back from X to 7):

But X2Pro is more direct.

As for FCPX:

My friend Logan Kelsey has been an editor for 15ish years (and a camera guy for several years before that) and he uses FCPX for most of his work now (mostly high-end corporate and branding...nice work). He started as an Avid editor, then bought a Media 100 system to go out on his own, then moved to FCP fairly early. Now he's using FCPX for longer and longer work. Been a long-time After Effects user, and is fine round-tripping between FCPX and AE (and Resolve).

Now for short stuff he shoots on his RED Scarlet (Epic coming soon), edits at 4K on his MacBook Pro (connected to a RAID and external monitor). For longer stuff and stuff shot by other people on other cameras, he still uses proxies or ProRes.

He makes a good living with his work; really nice house in Mill Valley, raising his family. He's neither a student nor a hobbyist. And FCPX is doing the job for him. Wouldn't do it for me, but it does for him. Huh.

Here's something short but pretty nice he made recently. Ya, the audio needs work. Besides that, I like it:

This is interesting, but among the production companies I work for or even just know of the penetration of FCPX is still zero.  The only professionals using it are like this guy--one man bands who don't need to export or do anything outside their box.  While the amount of work one man bands are doing is increasing, sooner or later one will want to collaborate, and this app is not at all there yet, X2Pro notwithstanding.

philp

Totally agree, Phil. Though at NAB, there is a little FCPX bubbling around the edges. Partly because of concerns about Avid's long-term viability, FCP7 getting funkier as it decays, lack of enthusiasm for (or trust in) Premiere Pro or Lightworks, and so on. Kind of reminded me of when FCP was around version 2... So I'm just keeping my eyes open.

[quick edit]

Just to be clear, I'm not routing for FCPX. Just want to be prepared if it does become part of my little world.

Totally agree, Phil. Though at NAB, there is a little FCPX bubbling around the edges. Partly because of concerns about Avid's long-term viability, FCP7 getting funkier as it decays, lack of enthusiasm for (or trust in) Premiere Pro or Lightworks, and so on. Kind of reminded me of when FCP was around version 2... So I'm just keeping my eyes open.

[quick edit]

Just to be clear, I'm not routing for FCPX. Just want to be prepared if it does become part of my little world.

I actually think there is an inevitability about FCPX, if only because Macs and the Mac OS will evolve beyond FCP7 sooner or later.  I just hope that the somebody, Apple or other, figures out a way to make it be a better tool for collaboration.  Right now it is all about the single user/one-box-show, and it doesn't scale for bigger projects where many people have to be working at the same time.

philp

Another issue I've just run into with the setup discussed is 4 channel mode with the H4N- While Plural eyes can sync it all, there is no way to replace the camera audio with all 4 channels to take to FCPX for editing. It will only take one of the stereo files... Any idea on a work around?

• 1 year later...

@TRCS: can you not split the 4channel file to two stereo files (audacity for example) and sync both of them? you could also just adjust one track manually. FCPX has still very bad and annoying audio short comings.

@all: which brings me to the general topic here. the following way was not presented here about how to convert a timeline to AAF. you need LOGIG X, it can open up a FCPX XML natively and export it as AAF! it's a little bit more work but works fine if you happen to have logic that is. the X2PRO LE version (50€) is fine though, just missing some options but essentially does the job.

i'm very confident that apple will give us OMF/AAF support eventually. look at the 13 updates they already threw out and they made things a lot better. audio is still a little weak, so they will patch that probably soon.