Loads of Bull!

Mick

What an interesting weekend. Saturday we flew into Las Vegas preparatory to shooting at the PBR national bullriding championships at the Thomas and Mack center. At the scout I arranged to tap into the various mixing boards (there are separate ones for music, announcers and LCD TV audio) in order to record some bullriding announcer vernacular so that we could recreate it in post. My main concern though was to obtain a clean feed of Jewel singing the National Anthem, (which she did with amazing skill and emotion the following day)  We were given tickets to the event and sat in the nose bleed section to watch an amazing show of pyrotechnics and pucker-inducing athleticism from these kamikaze individuals that strap themselves to animals that give new meaning to "ornery". What surprised me the most was the threshhold of pain nudging SPLs that permeate the arena, from the crowd, the music and the announcers. It's unreal how avid and ardent the followers of this incredibly unique, patriotic and intrinsically American tour can be. The SPLs must have pushed 110db. ( I confirmed this with the tour manager later the following day)

So on sunday we arrive early, take the Dava hand held, (there's absolutley no room for a sound cart anywhere near the arena) check feeds, record a couple of dialogue scenes, record Jewel and then Murphy showed up. The feed from the mult box cut out several seconds before I was to record the announcer introducing the actor playing a bullrider for our show. As a last resort I opened a mic and recorded it "live". Not pretty. Then I twisted my ankle on a snake's nest of cable. Then the feed that I had from the announcer mixer introduced hum and buzz that took me back to the days before ground lifters. After rummaging around in my grab-and go kit, some good natured assistance from the PBR audio guys, and re-patching cable, all the while being barraged by a noise level that precluded being able to hear even the in-ear walkies, we were able to record a very clean, very unique and completely useless sound track because it was accompanied by incessant music to which we didn't have the rights.

I had a great time. I now know who Ty Murray is, (7 time world champion all round cowboy and PBR founder,) who Justin McBride is, (he won the bullriding championship for the second time) and I'm a Jewel fan.

Cricket will never be the same again. Too frantic!

We all were kept aware of the writer/producer negotiations and I don't feel the need to weigh in concerning that as it's pretty much all been said here already.

Cheers, Mick

Ty is a pretty amazing individual!!!  I spent many a day with him as he pursued those 7 titles.  At his home in C. TX as well as on the road.  They offered the cameraman and I bull rides, on some VERY OLD bulls they said wouldn't buck much at all.  The producer went first and went flying thru the air.  NO THANKS!

But yes rodeo is quite the show and the aural assault.  In HOUSTON they also mix in sounds from carefully placed 416's in the area of the gates, so when the metal gate swings open, you hear that thru the house feed.  I have often thought they may actually have mics buried in the ground just outside the gates, but never confirmed that.  Usually the concerts that follow each nites performace are worth the price of admission, even if rodeo and bull riding ain't your thang!!!

cleve

Hey Mick, sounds like a beauty all right. Bryan Wholley worked for me on Monday and was telling me all about it. Sounds like you all earned your money that day for sure. He said the riders were getting destroyed left and right. I have never been to a rodeo. Might have to one of these days, just hope I don't have to work at one.

CrewC

What an experience though. Point of interest Crew, they get quite offended if you call it a rodeo! Bullriders have their own set of protocols and set themselves apart from mere rodeo riders! Great bunch of guys. Jewel is the gal pal of Ty Murray BTW.

Cheers

MIck