Epic Fail again, monitors out of/behind sync with Sound

Has anyone tried this unit ?

http://www.datavideo...udio-delay-box/

It's 12V DC powered, without the need for special plug (like the behringer) It's two channel (but they call it stereo so I bet you couldn't set a different delay on each channel) and the max delay time is 700 msec. Also rackmountable (you could fit two units side by side to fill a rack space.

ad-100.jpg

AD-100-image-rear.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually had an order in for this AD-100 unit, seemed to be the best --- 12 vdc, proper connectors, not too big, good display. I hated using the Behringer unit on the last movie, AC only, quirky setup, runs very hot, etc. I did not get the AD-100 but instead opted for the much simpler (and cheaper) less flexible $80. unit from AV Toolbox (available from B&H and others). The AV Toolbox unit requires 5 vdc so I had to build a little DC to DC box for it and make up interconnect cables for the RCA only I/O, so all in all it was more work to try and make this a more professional piece of equipment. Even though the AV Toolbox unit works fine I wish I had gotten the AD-100.

post-1-0-39100100-1350399868_thumb.jpg

AV Toolbox Lip-Sync corrector

Kramer makes video equipment. The unit I have is analog with Phoenix connectors. It is small and lightweight. The 12v connector is the standard coaxial 2.1mm.

DH

Any chance you could provide a model number? When I looked at the Kramer website all I found was the digital delays I mentioned previously.

I actually had an order in for this AD-100 unit, seemed to be the best --- 12 vdc, proper connectors, not too big, good display. I hated using the Behringer unit on the last movie, AC only, quirky setup, runs very hot, etc. I did not get the AD-100 but instead opted for the much simpler (and cheaper) less flexible $80. unit from AV Toolbox (available from B&H and others). The AV Toolbox unit requires 5 vdc so I had to build a little DC to DC box for it and make up interconnect cables for the RCA only I/O, so all in all it was more work to try and make this a more professional piece of equipment. Even though the AV Toolbox unit works fine I wish I had gotten the AD-100.

post-1-0-39100100-1350399868_thumb.jpg

AV Toolbox Lip-Sync corrector

This looks like the ideal solution for bag work, which is the problem I am looking to solve. It has the quirky 5 volt DC input and RCA input/output but I can see that working and your experience suggests it does work. Thanks Jeff (and others).

The DataVideo is pricey ($422), but it's certainly a lot more polished, has XLRs, and handles 12VDC. Plus the digital screen adds much more finesse to selecting the precise millisecond delay required.

I will add that it was the price of the DataVideo AD-100 that ultimately made me abandon it (though I really appreciated the level of professional execution as Marc points out).

Here's an idea for the people at Comtek or Lectro to consider. How about an audio receiver with Near Field Com chip that would detect when you are near the monitor and drop into delay mode. When you wandered away from the monitor it would return to normal no delay.

Just put a NFC transmitter on top of the delayed Video Monitors and let the people wander where they want.

This looks like the ideal solution for bag work, which is the problem I am looking to solve. It has the quirky 5 volt DC input and RCA input/output but I can see that working and your experience suggests it does work. Thanks Jeff (and others).

This unit is from the same series as the little Gefen DACs I use on the 2nd (AES) output of the 744. You can make a 4 AA battery pack yourself that will work fine, esp if you use Lithiums (it does eat some power). My minor beef with this unit is that it isn't very precise, the increments are pretty big. For cart use (esp if AC is avail) I still think an old MI type delay is a better choice--if only because you can dial in the delay by milleseconds, then name and save the patch. It's been a great convenience to be able to call up "23.98 1 fr" then "23.98 2 fr" etc etc in quick order and see what works best fast.

philp

Yes, at 24fps, the general rule of thumb is 33ms per frame. We typically got 5 frames of delay with HD -> SD boxes, but I think what we typically see now on sets with Epics and/or Alexas is maybe 3 frames (about 100ms). Not sure what the toy cameras like the Canon 7D do. I'm on a project like that now and offered to dial in some delay, but the director shrugged and said, "eh, I'm used to it."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

With the 3D rigs we're using (3D camera = 3 frames, 3D processor = 8 frames, DIT = 1 frame, Video Asst. = 2 frames, 3D monitor = 4 frames) we've tested an 18 frame delay which we need to match on the Comteks, I've got 10 frames delay available on the 788T (using 8) and have the Behringer Shark inline lined up for 10 frames (416.6 ms), to eye it all works, but I'd obviously prefer a DC powered unit ala AD-100 mentioned above,