Spectrum Analyzer iOS app

Jeff Wexler

post-1-0-03326200-1350050280_thumb.jpg

An iOS app that could be useful to sort out noises when fine-tuning on set equalization, notch filters, and so forth.

(I'm sure there an applications for Android OS as well)

"Spectrum Analyzer for iOS is a powerful real-time audio analysis app. Designed with musicians and recording engineers in mind, it can also be used by anyone interested in the world of sound. Ideal for room tuning or speaker tuning, the app enables portable, precision audio measurement and visualization."

Available from Onyx (search the app store for Spectrum Analyzer)

On a second thought, if you know what's the source of some noise you want to get rid of and use the app just to find the exact frequency, (placing the phone right next to the culprit) it could be usefull.

There is also an app (don't remember the name) that trains your ears to identify frequencies on the appstore. I'd have to check again.

On a second thought, if you know what's the source of some noise you want to get rid of and use the app just to find the exact frequency, (placing the phone right next to the culprit) it could be usefull.

This is the way I imagined using this sort of device. Also, regarding the use of the mic that is built into your phone, there are several add on (hardware) attachments that vastly improve the microphone pickup (and the app supports full frequency spectrum analysis if needed).

Keeping in mind that the microphone on your phone will severely limit its accuracy.

That --plus potential wasted time-- is why I wanted someone else to dive in first. :-) Could be the developer characterized various iPhone mics and somewhat addressed this issue.

But I think what people like Onyx and Oscium are doing is pretty cool (if not yet targeted directly at us):

WiPry-Combo.png

http://www.oscium.com/

I use this one:

n-Track Tuner

https://itunes.apple.com/app/n-track-tuner/id409786458?mt=8

It's actually a guitar tuner but has a decent spectrum analyzer that identifies the loudest frequency. It also has a tone generator, which can also serve to learn how to identify frequencies.

It's free so try it.

Hey, Jay, their stuff is really good and truly professional with all the add-on hardware provided. A little pricier than what I was presenting. My thought was actually in response to an earlier post regarding the use of notch filters in production (I know both you and I have some thoughts on this subject) that an inexpensive iOS app could help pinpoint offending narrow band noise on the set.

Seriously professional IOS audio tools: http://www.studiosixdigital.com/

These are they guys who developed the Terrasonde audio meters, which were later distributed by Sencore.

Is this, or similar pieces, what hearing impaired sound persons use to ID frequencies that they cannot reliably discern? With the "Trust your ears," and the not insignificant hearing impairments of many professional sound mixers, who have been successful and, by report, seem to still be successful, there must be accommodations that are made, in the field. Any other devices, other personnel aside, that are employed for this purpose? By extension, the neophyte would likely benefit, from the same methods, foreshortening the apprenticeship process.

Thank you very much

fury

"Is this, or similar pieces, what hearing impaired sound persons use to ID frequencies that they cannot reliably discern? With the "Trust your ears," and the not insignificant hearing impairments of many professional sound mixers, who have been successful and, by report, seem to still be successful, there must be accommodations that are made, in the field."

This has nothing to do with trusting the ears --- when trying to determine the exact frequency of an offending narrow band noise, even the best hearing amongst us can be helped by a dedicated RTA device. Even with perfect un-impaired hearing it will be difficult to "discern" the offending frequency. Most of us, even us older folk with some diminished hearing acuity, will be able to get close just using our ears, but the fine tuning needed to zero in on a specific frequency can be aided by one of these devices.

Hi Jeff, Wouldn't employing one of these devices obviate the need for even getting a close approximation of the offending frequency? As alluded, apart from ascertaining offending frequencies, what is the work around for gaps in hearing frequencies or decreased acuity, within desirable ranges,please? Do the aforementioned devices serve here as well, or are there any other devices, software, techniques to help compensate?

Thank you very much

Fury

And another one -

https://itunes.apple...d415301721?mt=8

Works well, you can freeze the graphic representation of incoming audio in case your offending freq is intermittent, or you move away from the sound source back to your bag or cart. Although it would be be cool to zoom in to see the frequency range in finer detail. Cheap though- £2.

post-1185-0-83993000-1350125779_thumb.pn

As alluded, apart from ascertaining offending frequencies, what is the work around for gaps in hearing frequencies or decreased acuity, within desirable ranges,please? Do the aforementioned devices serve here as well, or are there any other devices, software, techniques to help compensate?

Fury

Unless you have serious impairment, the natural loss of acuity that comes with age does not require any compensation for most of us as we continue to work well into our long careers. I believe whatever workaround or compensation happens it is a result of experience and familiarity with the work and the gear being used. If it can be considered compensation, I would say that as my hearing has diminished in the predictable and expected frequency ranges (at my age) I rely on the understanding that what I am doing on the job is going to sound good. For me personally, I have the added advantage of working with the same boom operator, Don Coufal, who has always been a hugely valuable second set of ears while we are working together. I will add that someone just coming into sound recording with a pre-existing impairment who does not have a history of recording, the experience I referred to above, would be at a distinct disadvantage having to rely solely on their ears. I don't know of any devices, other than hearing aids, that would be helpful in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

The iPhone/iPad, even the newer models, are notorious for severe roll off in the mic preamp circuits. I have "Pocket RTA" APP which has several functions besides RTA. But it is, essentially, uncalibrated. You could use the transfer standard method (compare various readings to a calibrated pro unit). But it can be useful (if only to Mind Fxxk the producer-an essential part of the job). Just don't trust the low frequencies from 200 Hz and below. If you are going to get more APP-elaborate be sure any aftermarket hardware/software bypasses the native, rolled off, iPad/iPhone input.

If you are AC powered at leisure: the Beringer ($300+) DEQ2496 with their $55 accessory mic has a RTA function as well as many others including 1/3 Octave EQ (auto or manual) gain reduction/expansion, parametric EQ and more. Behringer's AD and DA converters are garden variety (fine for measurement) but "Inside the Box" their digital signal processing operations are pristine. I use my DEQ2496 for my golden ears HiFi ($150K) room EQ and digital/analogue level monitoring.

If you are really serious about, portable, acoustic domain measurement the PicoScope 4262 is adertised as a 16 bit, 5 MHz dual trace $1200 box, USB self powered into a PC. But with 16 bits it is extremely powerful. The 4262 also has a FFT function (big brother of RTA) which has a 100 Db "Window" for frequency, distortion, reverberation, Voltage, Time relative, etc, etc. Very powerful and new for 2012.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for this mention, Jeff!

I found this thread because my new Tesla Model S (standard audio, not ultra high fidelity) has rather underwhelming audio quality (UHF isn't much better IMO except it includes an 8" subwoofer). I decided that as a home theater and car audio enthusiast - not a sound engineer - the Onyx Analyzer app was within my budget (especially compared to $500 standalone units!). So I bought the app, and while it was fun to watch the graphics, I wanted to use it to flatten my car audio system's frequency response (pretty poor from the factory) after adding a 12" subwoofer, or not fixable, to get some Focal speakers. I also wanted to balance the home theater setup, but that won't require much work because I'm using Adam A8X's (recommended by a sound engineer buddy).

I found the Dayton Audio iMM-6 calibrated measurement mic on Amazon for $16.25, which gives you a calibration file. I wanted to know if Onyx supports this (or better yet, calibrated the iPhone built-in mics!). So I emailed them, and to my surprise, I got a response a few hours later:

"We don't have calibration data for the [iPhone] built-in mic. We are working on .cal file support for the iMM6 (and others). In fact the update has been submitted to Apple and should be approved in next few days."

How cool is that?!? It probably won't equal the high end stuff, but it will definitely do for my uses. Thanks again for the pointer, Jeff!

Well said Jeff,

After all hearing is an ear/brain system and experienced sound mixers develop the ability

to monitor and judge what they are hearing in order to manage the quality of their results.

Despite my age I usually detect an incoming aircraft before anybody on a set.

I was working in a studio last week and the only issue was the cooling fan of a kitchen of

a cafe associated with the studio and the owner was happy to modify the system to my needs.

I realise that using an app would offer a measured approach for comparisons of improvement.

During my travels on the Cousteau boat I used a simple level meter to establish the quietest parts

of the vessel suitable for interview situations as generators and engines always running.

Just downloaded the Spectro Pro app which I will try out soon.

mike

I've looked at many omni electret capsules (digikey etc) and they all appear remarkable flat in the data sheets, but the sensitivity may vary a bit. Looking back to my hippy youth at  FWO Bauch (UK distro for IVIE, Studer etc.) in the 70's. The big Ivie RTA had an electret microphone stuck out of the box say 9" to keep it away from body reflections.

It may be worth getting a cheap omni mic, stick it on a metal or wood rod to make measurements. My gut feeling is that the frequency response will be fine, but the absolute SPL could be a dB or 2 out.

Never did find out why I was stuck with fixing Ivie products anyway

Martin