BR/Yamaha/Drivers?

Greetings,

Been a long supporter of Boom Recorder for many years.. love it!

I found an internal problem with my Mackie Mixer, causing recordings to drift when they run long.. Apparently, a well known issue with the Mackie 1620i mixer..

So, I bit the bullet, went out and bought me a new Yamaha 01V96i. Trying to plug it all together.. And, I'm having some issues.

I installed the Yamaha drivers, and the yamaha control software.

The input/output comes up in my MIDI controls on my mac.

I set up the routing to route the channels to the USB ports..

I launch BR, and set the preference 'Audio' to yahama input.

But, I can't seem to get any audio in my BR??

I suspect a software issue (driver??), and not really a routing issue.

I have OSX 10.7.5

Yamaha driver 1.63

BR 7.25.3

I'm sure people are running this set up. Thanks to anyone that can give me help on this..

Thanks

-Richard

When you say, "I launch BR, and set the preference 'Audio' to yahama input. But, I can't seem to get any audio in my BR??"

Have you opened the BR Patch Bay and routed the USB channels to the associated tracks?

Also when you refer to "drift", I'm assuming you are referring to timecode drift? How are you routing timecode into Boom Recorder?

One other thought, did you download and install the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.6.0" from the Yamaha site on your Mac? That is essential for the USB port of the Yamaha 01V96i to interface with any DAW program.

Edited by Richard Lightstone, CAS

Phil Palmer's excellent Yamaha 01V96 for location sound forum is at this link:

http://o1v96psug.proboards.com/index.cgi

Richard, once you get it all set up and routed, be sure to name and save the set ups in the "Scene" storing panel. These are a lifesaver in fast-moving situations. I usually have one position preset for "1K Tone @ -20dBfs", and another for "Silence" when I need them. Once I'm actually ready to roll, then I go back to the original scene, typically one of the first 5.

When you say, "I launch BR, and set the preference 'Audio' to yahama input. But, I can't seem to get any audio in my BR??"

Have you opened the BR Patch Bay and routed the USB channels to the associated tracks?

Also when you refer to "drift", I'm assuming you are referring to timecode drift? How are you routing timecode into Boom Recorder?

One other thought, did you download and install the "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.6.0" from the Yamaha site on your Mac? That is essential for the USB port of the Yamaha 01V96i to interface with any DAW program.

Greetings Richard,

I used my 744T and recorded both at the same times.. the result was slower playing file from the BR side.. About .01% slower.. completely noticable after 20 mins of recording.

I'm routing the TC via a channel on the mixer.. But, this is with the Mackie.. I'm going to run the same test with the YAMAHA once I get it going.

The newest driver is actually. "Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver V1.6.3".. Yep.

Thanks

-Richard

Richard,

Make sure you run a separate WC source or you will still have drift issues.

OK, update.. I got it going!!! working now.. I think I had routing issues with the Yamaha. Boy! This Yamaha has routing for days and days..

I'm running my 744T WC as the master.. I patched it into the WC IN on the Yamaha as Slave.

- I'm assuming that I need to set 48K WC IN on the Yamaha?

- What should I set the BR side of the setting? WC in? 48K in?? looks to be about 12 different settings here..

Thanks everyone.

Hello Richard,

If you are running a 48000 Hz word clock from the 744T, then set the "audio device" sample rate to 48000.

And check the boxes for matching on both the "word clock rate" and "file sample rate".

If you are going to do telecine or reverse-telecine with NTSC frame rates, then you have to change your settings. First rule with the new 8.3.0 series is to be completely truthful to Boom Recorder. And you may want to read the manual about these options.

Cheers,

Take

I'll also put a plug in for the O1V96 production sound users group. Lots of good info there for you. Thanks for running through this situation for us. The Yamaha O1V and Boom Recorder set up is becoming a very useful and common set up. One that I am looking at very closely.

http://o1v96psug.proboards.com/index.cgi

PWP

Ok, first gig with this set up. I plugged this all in on set, and it didn't work.. I guess my laptop has USB 1.0 ports.. so I found the 2.0 port, and it all worked.

BR-Yamaha-shoot_01.jpg

This is looking at my 7inch monitor.. Round table talkshow with 10 women talking.. sometimes all at once! :)

BR-Yamaha-shoot_02.jpg

The new mixer. It worked great.. But, I think I have some grey hair now..

-Richard

One thing you always want to think about is word clock and avoiding a word clock loop which is easy to do.

On my cart I run a 788T as master TC and word clock source but run AES audio to it from the 01V96i. This can cause a WC loop. So...

1-Set the 788T to internal in the Sync Reference menu. This makes it the master word clock.

2-Set your DIO clock setup to either AES input or WC IN done via the BNC word clock out of the 788T.

Now you will have the 01V word clocking from the 788T or whatever recorder you use.

If the recorder is not set into internal sync then it will try to read the clock from the 01V and you will have made a feedback loop. Very NG.

Timecode gets split from the SD output and hits an AD in the 01V and then gets to BR which reads it easily.

Use the WC and any reference from the 788T as it is the best clock on your cart and the TC and word clock are aligned together which is best.

My present show is at 48.048K and 24 fpsTC so it gets gummy/not standard, but once you set something like this up it is a set it and forget it situation.

Phil's site is also a fantastic resource and is swimming in discussions like this.

Hope this helps.

Scott Harber CAS

Richard are you recording 10 ISO via USB cable in Mac and Master Output to SD744T for back-up?

Sending the Master to track13, and I re-route it via BR to track #1. I send in all the ISO for the 10 mics after that. So, 11 tracks via a USB cable.

On the mixer I route Omni 1/2 to the SD744T to get 2 tracks, one hi and one low, on the masters.

Side note on that shoot.. long 20 min takes, about 10 times.. ended up with 35Gigs of data, no hickups.

-Richard

Thanks Scott, it's going to take me a while to 'diguest' your reply.

Another side note, on the full start up with BR/Yamaha..

A start sequence:

1) start your SD744T first.

2) next your mixer.

3) then your computer, and BR.

if you don't, your computer will only have 44.1K as an option in the steinburg driver.. and the whole thing doesn't seem to run. Interesting..

-Richard

Sending the Master to track13, and I re-route it via BR to track #1. I send in all the ISO for the 10 mics after that. So, 11 tracks via a USB cable.

On the mixer I route Omni 1/2 to the SD744T to get 2 tracks, one hi and one low, on the masters.

Side note on that shoot.. long 20 min takes, about 10 times.. ended up with 35Gigs of data, no hickups.

-Richard

Cool! Thank you Richard

Strange, I've never had a sequence issue in this realm on the recorder or the clocking of other items.

As soon as I plug in the usb cable to the laptop it grabs the 01V as the sound input and all starts clocking and the audio inputs follow from there.

S

Thanks Scott, it's going to take me a while to 'diguest' your reply.

Another side note, on the full start up with BR/Yamaha..

A start sequence:

1) start your SD744T first.

2) next your mixer.

3) then your computer, and BR.

if you don't, your computer will only have 44.1K as an option in the steinburg driver.. and the whole thing doesn't seem to run. Interesting..

-Richard

Set at 2047 Mbtyes... Largest file sizes in BR.. So, I'm assuming that it breaks, and starts a new file when it reaches that size.

It does; it stops the current recording, and starts a new recording. If you have enough pre-record buffer it will create a seamless transition between the two files. Or you can change a setting that it will create an overlap between the two files.

The maximum file size you set Boom Recorder too depends on the edit application you will be using. 2047 MB makes it the most compatible. In principle every edit application should be able to handle 4095 MB, if it can't it has a bug in interpreting the sizes in the file wrongly (as signed integers, instead of unsigned integers.)

Very few editors will be able to handle files that are larger than 4096 MB, files that are larger than this are called RIFF64 files, which are different from normal .wav files in that they have extra information which replaces all the sizes in the file to 64 bits.

I am just now going through my emails to see if there are any clues about which edit application can handle RIFF64:

- Pyramix (claimed to be working with Boom Recorder files)

- Sequoia (claimed to be working with Boom Recorder files)

- Wavelab 6

- Ardour

- Studio One