Top Posters In This Topic

Great result but an additional stereo mike would give it some width and feel

Did a recording of a full orchestra yesterday

2 x AKG 460/CK61 oner the conductor

1 x Sanken CSS-5 looking back at the ceiling in the concert hall

All to my Sound Devices 664

This is my mix APO.mp3

mike

Mike, I think it might be the mp3 compression not being able to handle the width and content, but it sounds...weird. Phasey and smeared, bitrate is too low... Could you swap it out to a wav?

Great result but an additional stereo mike would give it some width and feel

Did a recording of a full orchestra yesterday

2 x AKG 460/CK61 oner the conductor

1 x Sanken CSS-5 looking back at the ceiling in the concert hall

All to my Sound Devices 664

This is my mixattachicon.gifAPO.mp3

mike

Hi Mike

I choosed a more dry sound due the musical style (taste matters). With the Soundfield I can choose different combinations of stereo virtual mics, from a AB to Blumlein, I choosed between cardioid and hiper (XY). The 4006 is for reference purposes (Sound great but very reverberated)

Can you upload your recording in wav?

Regards

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

nice to hear (and see) a single mic on music

Since I'm such a fan of natural mixes done with a single well-placed/well chosen mic (or proper stereo arrangement), I'm surprised I missed this thread, particularly the original post. Harmonies and blends can be achieved this way that is closer to "being there" than any synthetic multitrack mix. The difference is felt dramatically.

Actually I'm beginning to suspect there's another mic near ground level- bass and snare just sound too close...

Pete, are you referring to the original post of "I Want You Back"? I doubt there is a second mic here. If anything, I think the mic is too close to the vocalists, making the bass and snare seem lower than they would be if just standing in front of them listening live.

another pretty cool one from the OP group, Lake Street Dive, In glorious 1 mic mono. A little reverb added. I think they've had a few...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdTPwziETx8

The above recording is an example of how it's not enough to just have one mic somewhere in the room. I wonder if the mic is even in the same room as the musicians.

Below is one I did way back when (late 80s, I think). It was recorded on a Nagra IV-S with two Schoeps MK-41 caps in an XY config. After rehearsals for mic placement, and right before rolling on the one take, the director had the bass singer look camera right, which reduced his presence more than I liked. The stereo image seems to be diminished on this YouTube posting but otherwise this is another example of benefits of recording the acoustics, not the sources: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZe8aB7plU.

gt

• 3 weeks later...

re The Lake Street Dive 'I Want You Back'-- firstly what a great cover of a Jackson 5 song! They sound great. Secondly it's worth noting that they are gathered quite closely around that mic.  1 mic rules!

It's also worth noting how well the drummer and trumpet player kept it nice and easy on the volume. Good musicians mix themselves...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

Nobody has mentioned the youtube channel "OneMic" yet. There are lot's of videos done with one AEA stereo ribbon mic. This is one of my favorites

https://youtu.be/kVf8lifkmF8

Post production is done with clever MS processing, driving a reverb with a bandpassed send of the mid signal only.

Full band, wonderfully balanced.

https://youtu.be/af8pTJCpljU

• 5 months later...