iPad mini?

RPSharman

Well, thats still rumor, but yea, its more than likely. There is also strong rumor that the MacBook Pro 13 inch Retina Display will be unveiled at that event as well. On top of that there is supposedly going to be a strong ad push for ebooks and the such from Apple as well.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/16/apple-issues-invitations-for-october-23-media-event/

MacRumors thinks both may show up.

I had an chat in the van yesterday with one of the shooters that really wished Apple would make something like an iPhone5X that had a bigger screen. He said a lot of his camera dept counterparts really wanted iOS, but could not give up the massive screen of the Galaxy S3. I realize we are in a niche, but we have a lot of downtime in crew vans, airports, hotels etc. Between watching Netflix and reading news sites, the big screen is nice. I personally switched from a Droid X to an iPhone5 and the smaller screen really hasn't bothered me, but in the hotel room or on the plane, I have an iPad. I realize there are a lot of people that will never buy an Apple product, but it seems like the screen size is really THE deciding factor for many people.

I would love to see something like the Axiotron Modbook Pro, but officially manufactured by Apple. 13" ok, 11" better, even smaller, better yet. i7 multi-core processor and full OS X in a tablet form, but something I could dock to my big monitor and mouse / keyboard when I'm at my desk. Sort of a Mac Mini in concept, but runs on batteries and has a touchscreen for sort of an "IOS-like" experience when mobile, but where IOS is cool, it can't run Pro Tools or other applications like Boom Recorder or any other full application, including Windows.

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

MBP_DRAWING_1_W_s.png

I personally still read analog books too, though I read news on the iPad. The days of a car driving all over town throwing newspapers on your lawn are numbered for sure.

I can borrow books on my iPad through the Philadelphia Free Library. I don't do it that way, but my sister does and she loves it.

I use my ipad for the NY Times, scripts, and one-liners. I actually bought the thing just because I was sick of taking paper revisions of set paperwork... It just felt so wasteful.

I also keep pertinent equipment manuals and schematics on it for quick referencing.

I've read a few books on the ipad, but I still prefer to read analog for the time being as well. Living in NYC (with a baby at home), I tend to get most of my reading done on the subway. I never feel entirely secure pulling my ipad out on the train.

One nice thing about reading on the ipad is that you can eliminate the need for a reading light when reading in bed. I switch mine to white-on-black for this. So yeah...

Another reason why books are good...

"Amazon wipes customer's Kindle and deletes account with no explanation"

http://www.guardian....deletes-account

I find the whole DRM aspect of Kindle etc very sinister and will probably not play until they address it. I'm also not crazy about giving money to people that think this kind of control over people's reading material (and thus, in a way, history) is ok to do. The company response to the person whose Kindle was remotely bricked is very illuminating--a communique from the Ministry of Truth, if you will.

philp

I find the whole DRM aspect of Kindle etc very sinister and will probably not play until they address it. I'm also not crazy about giving money to people that think this kind of control over people's reading material (and thus, in a way, history) is ok to do. The company response to the person whose Kindle was remotely bricked is very illuminating--a communique from the Ministry of Truth, if you will.

philp

Not well known, but using an app called Calibre and a kindle plugin the DRM can be stripped from any bought Kindle book and then can be easily converted to any format (including PDF) you would want an eBook right within Calibre. On top of that Kindles support with no hiccups the .MOBI eBook format. You can get eBooks from any source, use Calibre to convert them to .MOBI or strip the DRM and then convert to .MOBI and send or copy them your Kindle and there you go.