Sound Forge for Mac

SONY has announced Sound Forge for the Mac

post-1-0-11910300-1350484566_thumb.jpg

Sound Forge for the Mac

- from the website:

Finally on the Mac, an audio editing application designed exclusively for OS X with a workflow that can keep up with your creative flow. Configurable viewing panels allow you to toggle to any project view you need in seconds — see everything at once or toggle your view to see only the features you want, when you want. Easily navigate the entire interface and work quickly, even on laptops.

SONY has announced Sound Forge for the Mac

post-1-0-11910300-1350484566_thumb.jpg

Sound Forge for the Mac

- from the website:

Finally on the Mac, an audio editing application designed exclusively for OS X with a workflow that can keep up with your creative flow. Configurable viewing panels allow you to toggle to any project view you need in seconds — see everything at once or toggle your view to see only the features you want, when you want. Easily navigate the entire interface and work quickly, even on laptops.

Doesn't look like the PC Sound Forge at all--maybe it's really a new pgm with the old name.

philp

1) How will this interface with / replace their new wavelet editor ("Spectral Layers"?)

- Spectral Layers is a different application all together. SL should co-exist with SF on a Mac or PC w/o issue.

2) Is this release of SF for Mac in response to Bias' recent closing, and the disappearance of Peak?

- Could be, but SCS ain't sayin.

They've been working on it for a while. Years of half starts. It has always been the number one request to the company, along with adding MIDI. The old owners replied "MIDI is stupid Mac technology." So you can see why they didn't quite "get it," and also why their stock went from $175/share to .02 and they had to sell that part of the biz off to Sony. They are better off now and doing great things. FIrst off, listen to your customers. Second, MIDI is not a "Mac Technology." Jeez.

I kinda feel like its a bit too late. I mean, what do I need a sample editor for anymore? Their noise reduction has always been their shining star, so maybe it could replace RX. Oh wait, I just went to their site. They use the Izotope RX basic stuff for that. Hmm.

1) How will this interface with / replace their new wavelet editor ("Spectral Layers"?)

2) Is this release of SF for Mac in response to Bias' recent closing, and the disappearance of Peak?

Been using Sonic Foundry products for years. They are by far some of the best out there, and they have a great team. They really need to come out with Vegas (their DAW/NLE) for mac. THAT would be very useful, as all great programs are cross platform these days.

REAPER seems to be taking up where VEGAS left off audio wise. Some of the best editing around, cross platform, MIDI support, batch render...

But it's a great step in the right direction..

C

A I recall Sonic Foundry sold SF, Vegas, and other audio app.s to Sony way back in '03, around the time of SF-5 and Vegas 2 or 3, which was originally an audio-only multi-track program.

CD Architect is still included with the Windows version of SF, (currently Pro 10.0d) though 'Red Book' (DAO) CDs can now be burned directly from the timeline. Noise Reduction 2.0 and the convolution reverb Acoustic Mirror are included with the Win version as well)

I find the meters are OK, (peak dBFS, RMS, VU, ect) they do not support ATSC or EBU loudness specs, though there are third-party (plug-in) meters available.

The 'Reaper' DAW was (sort-of) fashioned after Vegas by one of the developers of the Winamp audio player app.s.

I find the meters are OK, (peak dBFS, RMS, VU, ect) they do not support ATSC or EBU loudness specs, though there are third-party (plug-in) meters available.

The 'Reaper' DAW was (sort-of) fashioned after Vegas by one of the developers of the Winamp audio player app.s.

Apart from the missing elements. IMMO the meter for a pro mastering app (Is one of the most important parts), needs almost the K (12-14-20) variants (Or the possibility of choose the 0dB) (Music) and the new standarts such as EBU R128. Yes, you can buy a meter plugin, but, isn't the Sound Forge a mastering/editor app?.

The Reaper is very nice, I like so much. 8)

I for one can't stand ProTools. While the LE system is finally at the right price, the cost of an HD system is still more than a (nice) car. Reaper is more powerful, easier to use, and waaaaaay cheaper ($60 for a personal license, $200 something for a commercial license)

Protools and Avid always seem to be about crippling their software and having users pay to unlock features one by one. Reaper gives you the whole kitchen sink and then some...

The guys at Cockos (www.cockos.com) also developed awesome programs like NINJAM and LICECAP.

I for one can't stand ProTools. While the LE system is finally at the right price, the cost of an HD system is still more than a (nice) car. Reaper is more powerful, easier to use, and waaaaaay cheaper ($60 for a personal license, $200 something for a commercial license)

Protools and Avid always seem to be about crippling their software and having users pay to unlock features one by one. Reaper gives you the whole kitchen sink and then some...

The guys at Cockos (www.cockos.com) also developed awesome programs like NINJAM and LICECAP.

I was a bit into reaper when it first came out, but then i switched to Nuendo and never got back to it. I didn't like the way it handled video (kind of not at all back then) and other stuff, that I'm guessing now is just habit with other software... How is it holding up? New topic perhaps... Would be a great discussion

I was a bit into reaper when it first came out, but then i switched to Nuendo and never got back to it. I didn't like the way it handled video (kind of not at all back then) and other stuff, that I'm guessing now is just habit with other software... How is it holding up? New topic perhaps... Would be a great discussion

Me too, I'm sticking in Nuendo. 8)

Though many of the same processes can be done on DAWs like PTs, Nuendo, Cubase, Sonar, ect. Sound Forge is an audio EDITING software.. NOT a multi-track DAW application. SF supports multi-channel files however

I presume that all thread buddies know the difference, the DAW chat is just a off topic, sorry.

About mastering editors, now in Mac you have a lot of contenders

-Wave Editor (A bit rustic but works very well) (Can open all type of files) (DDP) 79,99$

-DSP Quattro (Very nice, more options than the others) (DDP) 99$

-Wavelab (IMMO the best but expensive)

Unfortunately only the Wavelab have proper meters

Sorry about the OT with the DAWs-- However, as Rick has mentioned, I'm increasingly (and happily!) seeing audio editor functionality being added to DAWs.

Particularly in REAPER (which now has very good video support-- the other plus being that the cockos team is constantly updating and adding features).

But back to SF-- I really like the metering in it... particularly for mastering. But I guess it's what you're used to...

*Side note, my friend Jason uses a USBPre2 almost soley for its metering while mastering...