Creative Micing

Doc Justice

I wanted to pass along a fun micing situation that I came across recently. For one particular segment on a challenge heavy reality show, I was faced with a crazy task. The contestants were going to run an obstacle course where they would get wet, and needed to stay mic'ed up. For a previous season of this, I ended up making my own version of the mic bra, so that I could get a little bit of extra protection for the lav.

This season, I stepped it up a bit. Introducing the Mic Manzier.

I cut up a neoprene body strap and made it so that the pouch would house the lav in the front of the body. A little bit of extra padding, an RM11, and some lens tissue in between the windball and element was all the protection I needed here. When the contestants were totally submerged in the water, we could hear the water all around the mic. When they emerged, the lavs were unscathed.

On the back of the body strap, I had another pouch sewn in for an upside down transmitter. The reason I did this was to keep the transmitter high up on the body, where it had the lowest chance to also be submerged. One condom over the SMQV before slipping it into the pouch did the trick. No L&D on this one.

For the female contestants, I had a couple of pouches sewn into one of their existing sports bras. I expect the women were a little more comfortable than the men, whose straps were made out of huge zip ties. Either way, I got every bit of dialogue I needed from the challenge, and walked away pretty happy with it all.

Check out the pics I took for you guys, and fill us in on any wacky micing stories you might have!

post-691-0-81399400-1350712604_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-00496200-1350712807_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-96223800-1350713151_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-11961200-1350713233_thumb.jpg

post-691-0-37288600-1350713318_thumb.jpg

Doc... you just did two things... 1) made me incredibly happy I found this place... and 2) made me realize that MY OWN mic'ing challenges have been nothing but a walk in the park.

I'm a big fan of what appears to be the show I think it is... and I always wondered how much sound gear was lost in action... it's a surprise to think it's not all that much in reality. (I assumed there were bins of lavs getting wasted daily.)

I just shoot a doco where the main character was going to swim in the ocean for the first time in his life. As he is blind we wanted to hear all his reactions. The dp loved his wide shots so boom was out of the question. Luckily he was wearing a tshirt,

I used this http://store.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/miscellaneous-electronics-cases/radio-microphone-case-158b.html and made a pouch similar to yours for the mic, a countryman B6. I used the strap as a bra as well and worked fine.

I once miked up four construction hard hats for use on a safety training video. I taped the transmitter to the inside of the hat above the support webbing. I ran the mic out to the bill and covered it with white fleece double stuck to the bill. It gave some wind protection and hid the Sonotrim mics. I did this so we wouldn't have to fuss with clothing as we randomly miked up actual workers. All we had to do was give them a different hard hat. It wasn't an ideal sound but I was covering with boom as well.

Those giant zips weren't tightened at all. They were just a fail safe against the body strap sliding down.

As for the COS-11 instead of a B6, I totally agree that the B6 could handle the water better. But I would never outfit a show like with B6s, since the wires themselves aren't very durable at all.

It was definitely a case of using what I had in the moment. Thanks to my very creative of mixers and A2s, we were able to keep L&D to a minimum on the show. Plant Mics, lav necklaces, mic bras/bros...this show had it all!

Not super creative, but while shooting on a US Navy submarine, I kept a CUB-1 (with a really long cable) in the front pouch of my bag for quick deployment. I would often find myself in places where I couldn't swing the boom (tight spaces to say the least) and we were not permitted to use any wireless mics on the subjects. I could reach around a corner and set the CUB on a flat surface near the subject to grab the sound bite. The mic made it into the shot a few times, but it blended with all the other submarine stuff :) and it sounded "good enough" to "great", depending on the ambience.