Lav mics sounding different !!

Rob Lewis

I have recently really began to notice that lavs of the same brand used with my Lectros sound different.  I will have 2 Sanken COS 11's hooked up and 1 will pick up much more ambient than the other.  When I end up having to mix them to a single track the more open sounding one really ruins the track ?  I'm really begining to hate RF's, but as an ENG guy, that is what I am forced to use most of the time.  Has anyone noticed lavs of the same brand sounding different, making multiple RF mixing a pain?

Rob

i have noticed similar things with my audio ltd / dpa 4071 setup. and when i use sankens too. but when i get them home and check them side by side, they sound pretty much the same.

i would expect the difference's in sound come from the mics different positions on the talent - how much of the ambient sound is being blocked by the wearer, and which way they are facing relative to the ambient noise.

its at times like that, that an extra track for the boom(should you be recording on a hard drive), or even a touch of the boom in your mix may help to even things out. or a wildtrack and let post sort it out (or not)

This was discussed not too long ago but I

don't recall if it was here or on RAMPS.

Folks discussed the slow degradation of LAV elements

and continually listening to individual mics

to 'match' them for just about every setup.

It's frustrating stuff for sure and I notice a far greater

difference in the sound and openness depending on placement.

If I have to place a LAV in the necktie knot of a man,

and down in the cleavage of a woman with a low-cut

whatever, the tracks will sound VERY different even if the

mic elements weren't coloring anything.

Often I check everyone I might have to wire before I start

to wire anyone so I can go for a good match rather than

just best placement.

This is also where EQ and mixing come into play.

Perhaps a little more boom on the mans LAV.

You mentioned the ENG world so I know these aren't always options.

I'm over-the-shoulder for most of my work as well so I feel your pain.

Regards,

Glen P.

Guest afewmoreyears

Just trying to get 2 good mounts is sometimes hard enough.....  as another post said, what direction one talent is facing, placement of the mic and type of clothing can all indeed cause havoc.

That being said, if you can just get a decent mount position, a good quality signal, no clothing noise and a nice mix of the voice....  It always surprises me just how good the sound is through a speaker.... I am usually amazed....  Through headphones, Lavs seldom sound "good" to me.... I hear way too much.... 

Record the dialog the best you can, use the best gear you can afford, and have confidence in the products, overall system, and post people down the line to do their job and make your tracks sound really nice... Try NOT to overdo things.... basic is sometimes best...  If you use a boom, try to have it on an Iso track... If they want it for color, let them add it later.... Mixing it in during recording can sometimes make things sound worse.... then it is not as fixable... The isolation of a Lav is what the doctor ordered...  At least in NON documentary situations.....

I bet for the most part.... Your stuff will indeed sound great.