Zaxcom's NeverClip explained

Jeff Wexler

The Zaxcom website now has a fairly extensive explanation of NeverClip technology as is used in Nomad recorders. It's a good read and there is an audio file demo posted that demonstrates the extended dynamic range provided by NeverClip technology.

NeverClip Explained

NeverClip Demo (audio)

Even though I put both links here, I would suggest for anyone who is still not sure what NeverClip is, should do the reading first before listening to the demo.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the technology, but until we have Neverclip in wireless microphone technology, I think it's practicality is limited except in hardwire situations.

Wasn't that proposed to quickly follow Nomad 4.0's release (which was today)? No hardware mods required, as we recall, to 900LA's, for example.

Thank you very much

Fury

I understand the technology, but until we have Neverclip in wireless microphone technology, I think it's practicality is limited except in hardwire situations.

The TRX742 plugon transmitter has NeverClip.

I read the article but I still don't understand what it is doing to the signal. Does it automagically shift the gain structure? Does it mean I can leave the gain turned all the way up or down and still capture the entire dynamic range?

Does the Nomad's input meters show the entire 137 db range NeverClip provides? What reference do I use to set my gains?

Mark O.

I understand the technology, but until we have Neverclip in <i>wireless</i> microphone technology, I think it's practicality is limited except in hardwire situations.

Neverclip is included in the trx742 already, and glenn told me a few months ago that activating neverclip on a trx900la would be a software update, not a hardware mod.

Then that will work! I look forward to hearing a demo someday. That could be an extremely useful feature -- having to readjust the input trim on screaming actors is never fun (even when doing it by remote).

I don't see how it's different to a normal transmitter, with a limiter. What's the benefit of having two 2 A/D converters to provide a non limited signal above 0dB if it has to compress it to at or below 0dB anyway. Either that, or NeverClip in the TRX's is not dual A/D and is just a normal (perhaps look-ahead) limiter.

I don't see how it's different to a normal transmitter, with a limiter. What's the benefit of having two 2 A/D converters to provide a non limited signal above 0dB if it has to compress it to at or below 0dB anyway. Either that, or NeverClip in the TRX's is not dual A/D and is just a normal (perhaps look-ahead) limiter.

The entire point of neverclip is to avoid using limiters. If the digital transmission is 24 bit, then neverclip at the transmitter could provide the same 137db of dynamic range that the nomad inputs provide, and avoid using a limiter.

Wandering Ear

The entire point of neverclip is to avoid using limiters. If the digital transmission is 24 bit, then neverclip at the transmitter could provide the same 137db of dynamic range that the nomad inputs provide, and avoid using a limiter.

Wandering Ear

The definition of NeverClip in Nomad is 2 A/D converters that CAN produce an output above digital zero, so that input limiters are unnecessary. This 'digital excess' must be dealt with in Nomad by either compression, or fader gain reduction. The new NeverClip ISO changes the headroom and fills the 4 LSB of the digital file with sound - basically attenuation (but such that your noise floor is also reduced/replaced with useable info)

When asked how NeverClip in the TRX742 works, Glenn replied that as the transmitter cannot transmit a signal above 0dBFS, that signal must be COMPRESSED. That is to say it is limited below 0dBFS. Thaf is not the same as what happens during the creation of a NeverClip ISO.

Neverclip is included in the trx742 already, and glenn told me a few months ago that activating neverclip on a trx900la would be a software update, not a hardware mod.

Even if there are already 2 A/D converters inside a TRX900LA (or it is stereo capable and can be repurposed) I don't see this being the same as Nomad NeverClip either for the reasons stated above.

When asked how NeverClip in the TRX742 works, Glenn replied that as the transmitter cannot transmit a signal above 0dBFS, that signal must be COMPRESSED. That is to say it is limited below 0dBFS. Thaf is not the same as what happens during the creation of a NeverClip ISO.

Well that kind of defeats the point of having neverclip in a tx, except they can use look ahead compressors.