2 mic proximity ADR?

commpost

I was having dinner with a european producer last night and he was talking about a 2-mic proximity ADR technique? I have never heard of such a thing. Been looping dialogue for years, and sometimes of course the actor may distance himself from the mic for a proximity effect, but 2 spaced mics on a sound stage for a single actor? Can anyone give me some details on this, or was this guy talking through his hat?

thx

Commpost

I often put a studio mic in front of an actor and a shotgun above. The studio mic actually keeps em from moving around too much from the sweet spot of the shotgun as they are more aware of the mic they can actually see in front of them.

If doing voices for animation, a double mic system is often used, one for a safety (lower level) and further away for less proximity.

I often put a studio mic in front of an actor and a shotgun above. The studio mic actually keeps em from moving around too much from the sweet spot of the shotgun as they are more aware of the mic they can actually see in front of them.

If doing voices for animation, a double mic system is often used, one for a safety (lower level) and further away for less proximity.

This was the first thing I thought of when I read the first post. In the spirt of disclosure though I don't do studio work so I am would not know.

I agree with Henchman. If the actors were recorded with a boom and lav during production, they should be recorded with a boom and lav during ADR. I've found that a lav in a studio sounds like a boom at a practical location.

If you have a large, dead room then you can get away with another mic farther away to provide a sense of distance. The post mixer can then add reverb to match the shooting location.

Mark O.

A boom and a lab.

The end.

They do go well together. My labs always go boom. :P

Typos aside, this is too true. I have done lots of ADR and doing it the same way as on production makes things a lot easier.

I had a huge wide shot of two people coming down a staircase. Scene was dubbed due to the insane echo and bad lav placement to begin with. And we used lavs and boom on ADR, added reverb but couldn't get the foley right at all. Steps matched. Rustle didn't. We tried everything! And then at lunch I had an epiphany; a lav under my shirt! Put it on, walked the scene. Perfect. It didn't sound weird at all. So it's not just good in an ADR situation :)

Don't do it my way though; hardwire to the mixer. Moving from room to room got... bad for the cable .P

I'm primarily an ADR mixer, and the vast majority of ADR I've done is recorded just like production - a boom and a lav, just like production, and I adjust mic placement to match the shot.

However, I have had a few editors (mostly on TV shows) ask me to record an additional track with a second boom pointed off-axis from the actor, so they could more easily mix in perspective for off camera lines, etc. It seems to work well and provide a lot of control over the sound very easily, but the vast majority of the time its that main boom/lav that will be used.

-Mike