Insurance when abroad

wbrisett

I have two upcoming opportunities to work with two different documentary teams. One in South America and one in Africa. However, I'm finding it a bit tough to find people who will insure my gear when traveling abroad. Anybody got any tips on finding somebody who will insure audio equipment when traveling abroad?

Regards,

Wayne

If camera is RENTING the gear, you could probably piggyback on that policy!  Often on overseas things, the rental houses ask you to buy a different policy.  They have all that info!!!  You might call a camera rental house near you and ask who they use.  Several years ago, we had to really dig for a subsidary of Lloyds of London.  Took quite a search thru the internet, but once we found them, they were the best.  I am working this morning, but if I can find that info at home tonite, will send you a PM!

cleve

The producer needs to get a production insurance package that includes replacement value overage for rented gear as well as rental replacements.  It is nice of you to do this legwork for them, but ultimately the insurance needed is about much more than just gear: it needs to include substantial coverage for injury and even Medivac to get injured crew members to good medical care, as well as the liability insurance that many places require before they will let you shoot there.  I would start with companies experienced in motion picture type insurance, like United Agencies, Truman Van Dyke etc..

Philip Perkins

Dear Wayne,

Have you tried these people they are very good, with policies for re-renting and will cover your stuff under most conditions in most places.. Firemans fund is usually the carrier... The prices are good... They also issue production insurance to productions where you will  need to get a floater from..

DeWitt Stern of California Insurance Services

10969 Ventura Boulevard

Studio City, CA  91604

Tel. 818-623-5428  Cell. 626-379-6280

Fax. 818-623-5468

kwong@dewittstern.com

www.dewittstern.com

Sincerely

Ron Scelza

Guest afewmoreyears

Totally agree with Phil...

This is NOT your job, what is your job is to make sure they have covered you.....

If your doing the footwork on this front, I would be suspicious of those you are working for..... I have worked all over this planet and never had to worry about getting insurance to cover me and my gear... That is productions job.... make sure they provide YOU with a binder that shows YOU as the Loss payee... and your set.... If you wish, double up, maybe extra medical on your own considering where you are going...but I would make sure THEY deal with it... It is their job.... Good luck

Dear Wayne,

A LARGE RED FLAG

Leaving the country with gear --very risky and a constant worry at best... Unless you really know these people and have "seen the money" and  "The Bonds". Checked they have the correct insurance in place …..I would be real skeptical...

"Call the bonding company" to verify… Check the Funding …

(1) Make sure that you are paid as an employee not a vendor. ( in advance a couple of weeks) ...

(2) Workman's comp  policy in hand...  Check if it is good in the country you are in, ( Just In case you are injured)..... 

(3) Insurance floater in hand

(4) And a solid signed rental agreement for your gear.

(5) .Return tickets in hand and cash travel advance .

(6) Customs broker statements in hand...

(7) Separate travel insurance paid by them $1,000000.00

Personnaly, I would rather record from the TRUNK OF A CAR..

Been there done that -----  I've done many shows out of the country without incident  but :  On one show I worked  --  The Cast & Crew  were stranded out of the Country without any means to return, no place to stay and equipment confiscated by customs for payment ….  "Your on Your Own"    A Feature with a union crew, including teamsters!    Be diligent

Sincerely

Ron

Hi Ron!

I understand the concern, but I also know one of the producers and have worked with him before on another project. In fact while on that project, he and talked about this documentary and traveling to Boston for some interviews. He also asked me at the time about traveling with him and a camera person elsewhere. But he wouldn't say where, at least not until things were firmed up. Turns out it's in Kenya. Since this is a very small budget production, the crew will be very sparse; camera, producer, sound, and ???. Not exactly sure who the other person is, but only four of us. And as you know, the Jarhead in me is always up for a challenge.

I did get in touch with a couple of agents yesterday who are suppose to be providing me with some quotes on my equipment. We still have a few months before the Africa gig and the funding isn't even in place for the South American gig, so who knows if that will even come about.

But, folks have given me some more food for thought that I didn't think about before (again, it's that Marine mentality that nothing is going to happen), so thanks to all!

Wayne

as a Marine you should know everything that can happen will happen and you better be prepared for those things that Rummie called unknowns that we don't know [and look where he ended up despite the best connections].

I always liked traveling overseas (well Europe anyway) on (or off) jobs.  Often these small jobs I saw as excuses to travel and explore and meet interesting people (we interviewed) and that was the real value in them. Of course "travel" films today are brutal and so are the greatest races and Survivor is at least paid OK but what a schlepppppp. (I even spent some hairaising months in a northern European City with a small civil war going on - I was young and stupid and knew the bullets would not hit "newsguys" ).  But I never went to Uganda or Burma or Irakk any of those impossible places were there are people that will eat you and then say hello.  ( I believe there have been 300 jounalist killed now in IRAKK [please correct me somebody])

After a while I had the money to travel when I wanted to with the girlfriend that fit a particular beach or not. ( by the way there is a guy here on this board that took the Victoria secret jobs in the jungles only to protect the beauties from the beasts, and there is not only one booman who collected notches on his belts for actresses entertained) . 

Soooo motive for travel can be much more that a JOB.  Try to take just a little gear, stuff you can carry onto the airplane that looks like personal entertainment stuff to Customs folk. AND ... returning to the USA from Canada was one of the most hairraising experiences I have had at borders.

Also know that most small insurance policies have a 3000.00 threshold deductable after which they pay. Only now that I have serious money in yearly premiums did I get it down to $ 1000.00 to cover the endless FEDEX losses.

I had a 120,000.00 loss some years ago (stolen truck between jobs). The insurance company paid me 50% 3 years latter and I had to pay my lawyer $ 6000 out of that.  It cost me at least 2 weeks of time in meetings, depositions, paperwork etc. So what gets paid is not what the agent  or the contract promises you. THe big Corps hire banks of lawyers to negotiate you down at every turn - ask the writers on Strike.

Just last year I was in Cabo for a large  International Commercial - big star got $ 1 million a day ( yes for a booze commercial). My gear got there on a truck late and wrecked. Customs  had decided to dump all cases on the floor of the truck and also confiscate the lighting truck. The agencies insurance inspector went down 2 weeks latter and offered the federales a large cash payment for their kind safekeeping services. The Cops wanted more. The insurance guy left with the money and no equipment very quietly at night.

It was unusual but the company had me claim directly from the insurer, the ad agencies insurer, (yes this happens more and more and I don't like it because you are never told in advance and the agency never signs your contract so nothing is enforceable by lawyers) and for once it was a smooth and painless experience. I sent invoices I made up without backups of my repair and replacement estimates ( they were high but not obscene - I have learned) and for once the insurance company paid without questioning very quickly from NY.  I was delighted and bought some new gear and dumped the stuff customs had scratched. ---  BUT  don't count on that - I have 20 stories were the production companies would not pay the deductible they owed me, and the insurance company wanted 3 receipts for backup and still paid only a fraction of the loss. And I was out of the gears for up to 3 years.

About agents:

David Waelder did an article on this for the L695 newsletter  ( the last one years ago) maybe its still on the site or David could publish it again here.

I can recommend Taylor and Taylor, Darren Rosenbaum,  310  826-7200  just because they have a lot of entertainment experience. I don't know what the smallest amount is they insure. I also want only responsible folk to go there because  the idiots and their excessive claims increase all of our rates. SO I guess I am convinced there are only "good people" on this board....  proove me right Jeff !!!!

Make sure locked cars in public places at night are covered, if they are not don't buy the policy.

Good luck and take all medical gadgets that you need for day to day protection, as you can't count on decent drugstores outside the first world ( and then in Catholic countries you cant get the rubbers for the radio mikes at all). have fun        travel is half the reason  a lot of folks get into this crazy gypsy film-making world.

wolf

Leaving the country with gear --very risky and a constant worry at best... Unless you really know these people and have "seen the money" and  "The Bonds". Checked they have the correct insurance in place ?..I would be real skeptical...

"Call the bonding company" to verify? Check the Funding ?

(1) Make sure that you are paid as an employee not a vendor. ( in advance a couple of weeks) ...

(2) Workman's comp  policy in hand...  Check if it is good in the country you are in, ( Just In case you are injured)..... 

(3) Insurance floater in hand

(4) And a solid signed rental agreement for your gear.

(5) .Return tickets in hand and cash travel advance .

(6) Customs broker statements in hand...

(7) Separate travel insurance paid by them $1,000000.00

Personnaly, I would rather record from the TRUNK OF A CAR..

Been there done that -----  I've done many shows out of the country without incident  but :  On one show I worked  --  The Cast & Crew  were stranded out of the Country without any means to return, no place to stay and equipment confiscated by customs for payment ?.   "Your on Your Own"     A Feature with a union crew, including teamsters!     Be diligent

Sincerely

Ron

Along the good info above, consider these other factors.  Make sure you have the proper permissions to shoot in the country that you are visiting.  In kenya, you absolutely need to work with a handler to get your job started.  Crews who have just shown up at the airport have gotten into big trouble, some have been jailed.  There is one company that specializes in this in Nairobi, i think they are called Viewfinders.  They will process your temp work permits, visas etc......

good luck

john gooch