Sony F55 and F5

api

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I would report this in case any of you were not aware:

A few weeks ago I worked with a few F55s that were set to shoot at true 24fps. Initially, I was doubtful as to whether this was true 24, as you all know, many folks call or confuse 23.976 with 24. I also remember from the previous times I had read the F5/55 manual, that there was no listing of 24fps as a possible frame rate for the f5/55 cameras.

However, after using a denecke slate and a sound devices recorder to verify the actual frame rate coming out of the cameras, it was in fact, true 24.

I googled around only to find out that a new firmware revision released late last year added the ability to shoot true 24. The manual on the Sony website still makes no mention of this.

Sony F5 ENG Rig

It is mainly built for one man shooters but it offers an audio slot and more opportunities.

Nice!

I'm going to nag my camera buddy into buying this ENG kit. It would be great to be able to send two channels of digital audio from my SD664 to his F55 and keep the camera mic audio as well. For us, in many situations two channels are enough filming dox, but occasionally it's great to be able to split up all the lavs in post.

Wonder what the price tag says? :-O

Cheers

Fred 

• 1 month later...

"Input AES-EBU is not Pro use"

Happens with my SD 552 and others have had some problems.  I have notified SD and Sony, but there aren't any F5/55's near Sound Devices so we are kind of stuck for now.

Here is the thread of the Sony Forum.  

http://community.sony.com/t5/F5-F55/aes-ebu-Audio-Inputs/m-p/263875#M10953

AES from 664 to f55 works for me at least. Only tried it on sit down interviews, it it does the job just fine. FWIW, my usual workflow is cable to camera, tone at 0 dBu on 664, set it to -20 on camera (for me, going in line level I set the input to +15-17), monitor level from f55 at 56. At first I had the monitor level at 72 but I then had to lower the return level A on the 664 to -7 for it to match with the internal mixing. I set the monitor level to 56 an the return A level on the 664 to 0 and they match.

Going AES I didn't need to do anything level wise. Kinda nice but I wouldn't ever go for channels into camera for delivery. With the 664 recording simultaneously sure, but not with a 552 for example.

• 1 month later...