Rates & other tips when traveling?

dlwilliams

Hi all

I've been asked to join the first season of a reality show as they travel about multiple locations in the US in December. It's not the best rate for 12s and only about half of what the gear is worth. However on the positive side I worked on the pilot and like the crew and project, and they would really like to have me (the crew that is, not necessarily the PM:). I may have a some leverage to negotiate for add-ons and other gotchas that would make it worthwhile

One thing that bothered me is that they say it will be a 5 day shoot week including travel and that we'll get 2 days a week off -- at no pay, just per diem ($40). This seems a bit of a stretch since 1. I can't imagine we won't be traveling on those days, and 2. I certainly can't get home for those two days. Is this the standard? ( Of course this is not a union gig where the question would be moot).

I am planning on asking for them to buy batteries since they want a couple sets of hops, IFB and 3-4 wires. . .

Apologies in advance if this has already been beat to death . . .

Thanks,

David

Well,

"This seems a bit of a stretch..."

This is your first 'Stretch"

It's not the best rate for 12s and only about half of what the gear is worth.

Second stretch...

5 day shoot week including travel and that we'll get 2 days a week off -- at no pay, just per diem ($40).

Third stretch...

I am planning on asking for them to buy batteries since they want a couple sets of hops, IFB and 3-4 wires. . .

Is it a Stretching show..... ?

Just because it is not a union show does not mean you drop all protocol for your billing on your end... Maybe ask these questions BEFORE the job starts, and try then to arrive at a proper rate structure for you, your gear and expendables.... THAT is the normal protocol... Trying to fix thes gaffes now will be difficult....

Of course they like you, they love not paying for things they know they should... whats not to like...?

You should be getting a full day pay for travel days. It's not like you can take another gig on those days. You should also charge what is right for gear. The worst they can do is rent from a rental house. Don't give away the farm. Let them know that the show requires XYZ gear and you can provide it (assuming your gear fits the show and you aren't trying to fit the show into your gear) and they can get the gear for X number of dollars. Charge what the rental house would charge for the gear that is needed for the show.

Ah yes, this is why I'm talking you y'all FIRST! -- and as far as what a rental house would charge-- that's a whole 'nother rant I could get into-- There's been some farm-giving-away-to-get-on-a-show going on here that no one I know can compete with. . . Thanks for the replies -- now back to our regularly scheduled flaggelations. . .

/dw

There's been some farm-giving-away-to-get-on-a-show going on here that no one I know can compete with. . .

Seems as though you may be feeding that pig...... Remember, it's not the Pigs fault... It's the guy (or gal) feeding them... Piggy will eat until he explodes...

Did you mean...Flatulations? Yes, indeed..... 8)

A day off on the road no shooting, you are away from home and cant take another job. Full day rate. If you have a relationship with this company, get regular work etc. Charge travel day rate. 60-70%.

40$ perdiem??? What the hell can you buy with that on the road? Junk food. Insist on 55$-60$. Geez.

Don't make exceptions and sabotage everyone else.

Sounds like, among other things, the farm was long gone when they did the "pilot", and that's when the rates got set.
you don't say who has picked up the show to series, but I'll bet the "above the line" folks are getting what they want, and doing so on the crew's backs. Another example of setting low rates, and the lie about: "we'll pay better if we sell the show"...
You didn't mention several things like OT, turnaround, accommodations (single rooms) and insurance (gear, and you!) . The per diem is low (unless they furnish 2x meals- then it needs to be higher on days off) , and all expendables should be covered 100%. days off on the road should be at least 50% (one days pay for two day "weekend" (although actual weekend may be any two consecutive days; and OT if you ever do work, on a day off. ST if you travel on a day off. Rental probably should be a 5 day week (no extra charge on the days off).
probably little chance of getting the IATSE interested in this POS, er, show, but all that would get is H+W contributions.

• 3 months later...

+1 Senator,

dlwilliams, I just hope you don't discover once in the show that the crew is getting paid better than you, I would ask the crew and take it from there.

They have to pay 100% of expendables and at least $60-$70 for per-diem, what about petty cash???

Chris I've suffered the other way round

Use a pro for the pilot (me) and a cheapie for the series

Meanwhile:

Days off are days off but per diems must cover local cost of 3 meals

Days of travel are 0.5 or 0.6 here in NZ

Consumables (batteries) supplied by production or put on the invoice at a profit (show BUSINESS!)

mike

• 4 years later...

This seems like a fitting thread for a question I have on travel days. How do you bill your travel days with overnight flights or travelling the same day as shooting?

A client of mine may have a 1 day shoot where we'd take an overnight flight (5 hours), arrive at our destination in the morning - shoot for a few hours and fly back in the afternoon/night.

Im used to breaking it down when a travel day is its own separate day, but this one's got me a bit confused. Any tips?

29 minutes ago, Dave Pullmer said:

This seems like a fitting thread for a question I have on travel days. How do you bill your travel days with overnight flights or travelling the same day as shooting?

A client of mine may have a 1 day shoot where we'd take an overnight flight (5 hours), arrive at our destination in the morning - shoot for a few hours and fly back in the afternoon/night.

Im used to breaking it down when a travel day is its own separate day, but this one's got me a bit confused. Any tips?

Full labor rate + rental as normal

If I have to travel and shoot the same day especially when flying I bill from when I get to the airport to depart till we are wrapped at hotel after shoot.  I only live 10 mins from the airport if your far from airport I would bill from when you depart your house 

3 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

To clarify - are you suggesting bill the overnight flight as 1 travel day (full rate) and the shoot day as usual - totalling 2 days?

I would bill just one day, however I would bill from airport to airport and anything that goes over the agreed on 10 or 12 hours is charged as OT. 

-Mike

12 hours ago, Mobilemike said:

I would bill just one day, however I would bill from airport to airport and anything that goes over the agreed on 10 or 12 hours is charged as OT. 

-Mike

This. It's one day; not two. And what Whitney said.