Smart Slate TC Output

Parker Brown

I'm starting a commercial shoot with an Alexa this weekend and I want to try using a TS-C as the timecode source for jamming the camera (or at least have the option). I know the 1/4 inch input on the slate is tc tip, ground sleeve, but is the slate outputing tc on this same jack? My tc cables are of the bi-directional xlr to lemo type. Is it simply a matter of adapting the 1/4 inch to xlr male and running to camera? I'll rent the slate the night before and give it a go, but I thought I'd check in here as well.

Thanks and good luck out there.

So I think <cap> means "Call Deneke". Good call.

Charlie at Deneke said what Glen said, and also that what I proposed was correct for the TS-2 and TS-3. Once the numbers are rolling the 1/4 inch TC input becomes an outout for those slates but not the TS-C.

I'll think a little harder next time.

I just did an Alexa shoot last week and have used my TS-C to jam the camera. I don't have the lemo to lemo, but I mated two of the Sound Devices Lemo to BNC time code cables together and it worked perfectly outputting from either the 744t or from the slate. One thing to note is you must have the camera frame rate and the recorder / slate frame rate matched before you can get into the Alexa menu to set it to jam to external TC. Also, the displayed time code on the Alexa menu is always about 1 frame fast than the actual rate on the camera. Don't worry, and jam often, especially if they switch to off speed or power up and down. Cheers, Tom

the displayed time code on the Alexa menu is always about 1 frame fast than the actual rate on the camera.

This I didn't know and went into pucker mode while the company was waiting for me to jam and re-jam and go into menus to check the settings on the three camera Alexa shoot. After a few minutes and 8 gallons of sweat the 1 AD called the DIT over to assist me. He said. Oh its okay. The display is never right. I walked away embarrassed and wiser.

This I didn't know and went into pucker mode while the company was waiting for me to jam and re-jam and go into menus to check the settings on the three camera Alexa shoot. After a few minutes and 8 gallons of sweat the 1 AD called the DIT over to assist me. He said. Oh its okay. The display is never right. I walked away embarrassed and wiser.

Something the camera department should have known.

I still don't believe our responsibility goes beyond providing an accurate source of time code that matches our recorder.

I agree with that, too. But I still check the monitor as the day progresses to see if there's a big difference between TC slate and displayed timecode in the on-set monitor. If there's a gross difference, then I'll at least call it to the AC's attention.

" I still don't believe our responsibility goes beyond providing an accurate source of time code that matches our recorder. "

true, unless the production rents additional equipment from us (TC slates or boxes), in which case we are responsible for them and their proper operation, though still not the actual interface to a camera and or recorder...

That said, I'll keep an eye on TC displays...