vipercam flash mags question

r.paterson

Hello

i was wondering if someone kindly could help me, i am about to start a

postponed Vipercam shoot using Flash Mags in some scenes and am i

right in thinking you cannot feed two tracks of audio into a Flash

Mag, the flash mag doesnt have audio inputs, the only way you can get

audio into a flash mag is via the single camera mic on the Viper?

i assume with the Flash Mag you treat it as a Mag of film and

therefore it is mute rushes until you sync it to DAT/DEVA etc.

Many Thanks inadvance for any help

Richard Paterson

Hey Richard, I have been on 3 or 4 Viper shoots, though not with the Flash Mag. The shoots I did, the camera was cabled back to their dual system RAID. A very loud beast. One time they had no A to D way to get audio imbedded into their files, so we treated it as dual system shoot. The other times I ran a feed to their big rack and still treated it as a double system shoot. Obviously if you can't feed audio to the Viper, then double system is your only choice. Viper had a good DIT as I recall, give him a ring. I'd also check w post to see what Time-Code stamp they want to work with and their plans for syncing audio. Good luck, I wish I had more exact answers for you.

CrewC

Hey Richard, I have been on 3 or 4 Viper shoots, though not with the Flash Mag. The shoots I did, the camera was cabled back to their dual system RAID. A very loud beast. One time they had no A to D way to get audio imbedded into their files, so we treated it as dual system shoot. The other times I ran a feed to their big rack and still treated it as a double system shoot. Obviously if you can't feed audio to the Viper, then double system is your only choice. Viper had a good DIT as I recall, give him a ring. I'd also check w post to see what Time-Code stamp they want to work with and their plans for syncing audio. Good luck, I wish I had more exact answers for you.

CrewC

I think the A to D question could be a coming issue for some of us.  I just did an F23/SRW-1 shoot and there was talk about sending the recorder AES.  However, the convertor for my (analog) mixer would have to be able to look at word clock from the SRW-1.  There wasn't time to test this and we had 5 days of nearly continuous recording to do, so I talked them out of it.  But next time....?  (They want to be able to use all those 12 tracks on the SRW-1 insead of my Metacorder files.)  I have done shoots w/ video decks where I had to provide digital audio--either from an SD recorder or from an outboard convertor. 

Philip Perkins

I've come across this recently too and I'm curious about how others have handled it.

I've been concerned the A to D delay on my end wouldn't match up with the "visual" A to D to disk or tape write-delay - beyond WC issues. I've never had free access to an SRW (or Viper, however unlikely in my cable tv world)to mess with it -- but I have done some rudimentary tests with the studio-sized HDCAM SR deck (feeding AES) and was uncomfortable with the results (this is most likely because of my ignorance of the Sony).

While I always advocate double-system - I'm sure I'll be overruled sometime soon and need to figure this out once and for all.

- Eric