Venue vs VR Fielld

Brian

Hey guys,

Looking to make the plunge into Lectrosonics venue world and was wondering about some opinions on both the VR Field and the venue. I like the fact that the Venue is 19" rack mount but do appreciate the fact that if I "ever" need to get it of the cart and power it the VR Field is ready to go.

I'm sure it's been discussed before but looking for real world experience and mostly looking for major pluses or minuses of both because of user experience. I currently run cantar in a bag with 5 411's but I want to streamline the cart. getting a lot more cart based work and I would like to have both a bag system and a cart system that i can share a few transmitters with.

Thanks for your time.

Brian Hanish

Keeping the same blocks?

Go with the Venue on the cart and use the 411s for the bag. I believe the 411s will, individually, have better RF filtering than the Venue but unless they are in a Six Pack, the antenna won't share antennas. I may be completely wrong about the RF filtering difference - I don't remember where I heard that.

Looking at keeping the same blocks on two of my lectros. I currently own 2 smqv/411a systems on block 21 and 23. I have two um400a/411 systems on block 29. My other 411 just sold. I would like to go all smqv because I love them and the variable power is a must for me.

I would not transition the block 29 to the venue because I would like to keep them in the bag or for secondary backup. I don't know the availability of getting 29 here in Canada. i love that block...

Keeping the same blocks?

Go with the Venue on the cart and use the 411s for the bag. I believe the 411s will, individually, have better RF filtering than the Venue but unless they are in a Six Pack, the antenna won't share antennas. I may be completely wrong about the RF filtering difference - I don't remember where I heard that.

Hi Brian and Joshua,

The Venue with VRT modules is very similar in RF performance to multiple 411a's with a Lectro antenna distribution amp such as the UFM230 or UMC16B. However, as Joshua said, individual 411a's will perform a touch better because they don't have anything in front of the tracking filters and front end.

Distribution amps do decrease RF performance a little but the improvement in the view of the landscape without 20 antennas in it, is worth the slight compromise.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

" I'm sure it's been discussed before "

yes, and those discussions have included lots of users' experiences, and their preferences.

ultimately, you will have to make the personal decision based on your subjective analysis of the pro's and con's of the various alternatives as they relate to yourself.

The Venue with VRT modules is very similar in RF performance to multiple 411

Good to know Larry.

And what's about VRS modules ? Similar to SRa ?

I am on a reality with VRS module, most of the times it's pretty good, but the RF signal is sometimes a little weak.

maybe we can improve it by choosing VRT module. We use omni antennas.

" but the RF signal is sometimes a little weak. maybe we can improve it by choosing VRT module."

sensitivity isn't what the VRT's add, they add interference reduction via Tracking front end filters.

" We use omni antennas. "

using directional antennae (sic) will increase signal strength (thus, range) in the direction they are pointed.

you really ought to read the Lectrosonics guide to wireless microphones, and also study the FAQ's

Good to know Larry.

And what's about VRS modules ? Similar to SRa ?

I am on a reality with VRS module, most of the times it's pretty good, but the RF signal is sometimes a little weak.

maybe we can improve it by choosing VRT module. We use omni antennas.

The VRS modules use substantially more current (power) in their front end and therefore have somewhat better intermod and overload performance. This is because the SR has two receivers that have to run from camera batteries and we can't just throw more power willy nilly into the front ends. Having said that, the SRb is better than the SRa in this area and does use a bit more current in the front ends, but still not at the level of the VRS. As the Senator said, the VRT's probably won't help you with weak RF signals over the VRS.

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

sensitivity isn't what the VRT's add, they add interference reduction via Tracking front end filters.

Oups...You're right ! And I rarely have problems with intermodulation.

using directional antennae (sic) will increase signal strength (thus, range) in the direction they are pointed.

Well, in this show I don't think because it's we can't always predict where the guys are going ! We have to cover a large part in an house, and it's a different house everyday.

you really ought to read the Lectrosonics guide to wireless microphones, and also study the FAQ's

Already done and redone, but revision may be useful ;-)

Thanks for your answers. Thanks Larry too.

[snip]

Well, in this show I don't think because it's we can't always predict where the guys are going ! We have to cover a large part in an house, and it's a different house everyday.

[snip]

Antennas with moderate gain such as sharkfins, aren't all that directional. See the horizontal gain plot on page 4 of this link:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/images/TD-sheets/alpseriestd.pdf

They might help with range if the talent is typically in front or somewhat to the side of your setup. If they are behind you, they won't work as well as omni's. What omni's are you using? SNA600's?

Best,

Larry F

Lectro

" more "Venue systemss" on Carts then VR "

sure, and we see lots of other rack, and/or studio gear out on out carts, but the VENUE was not designed for production sound carts, like numerous other products were, that system was designed for a different sector of the market (as is Lectrosonics' ASPEN line).where it has been quite successful.

I have the VR field and the venue system. The VR field sits in my bag kit for low loader and 2nd unit work. The venue sits in my 19inch rack on my trolley. Both systems have been excellent. The field is quite bulky. I wouldn't want to have it round my neck for too long. Both systems require you to take the top off to access the jumpers to provide power to the aerials. I believe an updated system will have an external switch. Check before you buy

If you don't have a 19inch system on your trolley then buy the field as it will be easy to move it from trolley to bag.

The VENUE and VR are the same except the VR is portable. The implementation of the field is not so great though. No ability to power down individual channels no ability to switch phantom power externally, no redundant power setup( the NP1 plugs into the external power port, if it dies your unit dies, it does not auto switch to your bag power supply). I am about to take the plunge for a rack venue as well, but I am hoping they release an update to the venue soon so I can get that instead.

Mike,

Please don't post here anymore. I am looking for someone else to chime in on their experience. Not your nonsense snarky comments. Your remarks are not helpful. I can make my own decisions thank you, but I do relly on others mixers experience and perspective to enlighten me on things I may not have thought of.

This is the last time I respond to you. understand. Your trolling, and it's annoying.

Thanks everyone else for your insight. I appreciate you taking the time to give quality advice.

Happy Mixing.

B

Brian, here's some of my observations concerning using a VRField in a bag. I have it in a bag but mainly rests on a cart. I have ran it over the shoulder a few times though. First, it is relatively power hungry. An NP-1 would last 3 maybe 4hrs. It has no battery level meter so you must be careful and anticipate changing batteries early to be safe. You cannot externally power it while using the internal NP-1 and do a hot swap. It is also relatively heavy and bulky in the bag. It will need a Peg-3, 603 or similar sized bag. You may be able to tightly squeeze it into a Pegz-2 but I haven't tried it. The VRField definitely take up more room than 6 UCR411s. It also gets very HOT, hot as a 788T I think!! In the summer days, the LCD would start to lose visibility as well when it gets too hot. You can use a pair of Coaxial antennas and run it along your harness. One advantage over the 411 in certain situations is it has built in antenna distro.

However, I think it is a nice option to have in the event you need to move RX from cart to bag and you don't have 6 UCR411s extra for the task.

I have the field, and it has enabled me to have a smaller, "bag on a cart" system, along with a Rastorder foldup cart. I can do bigger projects and second unit TV work with a package that I can still easily fit into the back of a Subaru Forester. There are compromises, as with any system, but it covers all my needs thus far. It's a power hog, but I've found that I can split the load, powering the Venue from one NP1 in the slot and the rest of the system from a PSC Power Station into a BDS.