Edirol R-09, more

jason porter

I have the Edirol R-09 and I have been very happy with it, although the new Marantz almost looks like a piece of pro gear and I like the remote option, anyhow...

While on a job in California a few weeks ago...I recorded a 'jet-beetle' on an airstrip.  It was very loud with many sudden bursts of loudness (when the driver hit the 'afterburner') the R-09 performed very well (a few overs, of course).  I managed to get a few clean drive-by's and I was amazed at the quality, detail and a decent stereo image (using the built-in mics!)  At around $400, money well spent.

I have no real need for an external recorder (mostly EFP/HDcam work) so this is just a toy/experiment for me :)  I played back a few ambiance and f/x recordings for the producer. He was thrilled and was looking forward to using the elements in the final piece, that made me happy, because next time a few more $$ and a little more time for audio to 'get it'

The guy who owns the 'jetcar' was giggling like a schoolgirl when he heard the recordings, he says 'it's all about the sound of the turbine for me!'

http://www.ronpatrickstuff.com/

-Jason

yea Jason, while we don't need a separate recorder often, it is a good idea to have something.  You could not have recorded the SFX you did without a camera!  For that reason alone, I have always carried some kind of recorder.  I started doing EFP sound with my Nagra as a mixer...but could roll tape and then dub later if need be.  Onto audio cassette, MD and now an Edirol R-09!  Hopefully a FR2 or 702T in the near future.  Although I am hoping there is a new SD device on the way with a mixer/recorder combo.  AKA, the new stuff from Sonosax...

cleve